PG Music Home
Hi All

I have been fascinated lately with this "8D" audio. Some of you may have seen a thread I posted here a few days ago.

So I tried a little experiment on my latest original song and did some 8d automation on the lead vocals, the loop and on the harmonies. This is the result.

https://soundcloud.com/joannecoopersa/safe-within-experiment-with-8-d-audio

The tool I am using is in demo mode so it only allows exports at 16 bit and also puts a soft "swishing" sound in occasionally (in case you notice anything funny).

The original audio is here in case you want to compare.

https://youtu.be/wDzKSNhUpsg

Please listen with headphones on and I would love to hear your opinion on whether this is just "gimmicky" or worth investing a bit of energy into.

Thanks in advance.
Joanne Cooper
To me, the 8D had a better sound quality.
Hey Joanne, this sounds great! That "8d" effect on the vocals is very cool, excellent production on this one. The swishing sound didn't bother me at all, I feel like it fits with the production style of this song.
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
To me, the 8D had a better sound quality.

Yes, definitely much better.
Joanne,

First of all it sounds great. By not adding the effect to all tracks you managed to preserve the original stereo image. I don't hear the exaggerated left/right panning "swirling" effect most 8D remixes have. Most of those sacrifice the original stereo image for the benefit of the effect. I have only played with the AMBEO Orbit plug-in, but it seems you have used something else. What did you use?
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it is worth pursuing... I think a little bit of the effect on certain tracks can add some depth and movement.

Cxp. I did use Ambeo orbit plugin. Amazing that it is free. However I used the daw Mulabs to do the automation. I use realband as my daw and it can’t do automation on plugins (that I can see).
Joanne,

I agree 100%. Adding the effect tastefully to specific tracks does open up the mix without being gimmicky.
I also use Realband as my default DAW, but I had to use Cakewalk for recording the plug-in automation. I just played the audio in real time and let cakewalk record the plug-in controls as I rode the sliders in real time. I had to play the track twice - once to record the azimuth control movements and once to record the elevation slider.
Good luck with your experiments.
© PG Music Forums