PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane EZbass - 04/23/20 10:36 AM
Whoa.

Not since seeing/hearing BAIB with RealTracks and RealDrums (in 2012) have I seen a product that made me say.... "I gotta have that!!!"

One of the really intriguing aspects (for me, as a writer and producer) is that it can use the audio OR midi output from BIAB (or any recorded source for that matter) to create an initial bass MIDI track in the program. The combination of BIAB + EZbass would appear to be magical...to have the bass perfectly follow the rhythm guitar track or piano track (or BIAB bass track).

And the ability to have control over the bass sound (starting with a couple of really great sounding basses) is quite inviting...

(of course, Toontracks model of partitioning styles into separate packages might make it a bit frustrating - or rather expensive...)

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 10:52 AM
Certainly looks impressive. Some great playing techniques have been delivered there, no question.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 11:04 AM
I've been following the developments ever since they first announced it early last year and I'll certainly download the demo once it becomes available on May 19th.
Can't have too many tools! Plus I'm a huge fan of their EZDrummer2 software, one of the best purchases I've ever made since BIAB.
Posted By: MarioD Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 12:00 PM
This does look very impressive. I think that the EZ Keys' chord progressions are superior to many of BiaB's styles as they can put chords on different beats like sixteenth notes.

But like you said they have compartmentalized their products so it can get very expensive very fast.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 04:58 PM
Very nice sounding piece of kit they have there. Really looks like it has some useful features. I liked the audio and midi to midi feature.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 07:48 PM
Thanks, floyd. This looks very interesting.
Posted By: DrDan Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 07:53 PM
Ya know, I have been a big EZtoons user for years. Keys V1 and drums V1 and V2. And I have had some grips over that time with the products, but I continue to use them both because they can make some beautiful music.

But this video does not excite me. frown It is not that I don't want and appreciate a good bass sound in the mix, I think it is that I don't want to work that hard to get it. This workflow looks complicated and detailed to a level that I don't think bass needs to go. cry Maybe just me.

Bottom line here, I will look at this long and hard. I likely will wait a while to see all the demo videos which will fill the web after it is launched. I will have to read users reviews to see if others will like it. After I have done all in the first couple days past launch, I will plug in my credit card and download from Sweetwater. grin
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: EZbass - 04/23/20 09:10 PM
I think that video was more of a "what you can do", not "what you need to do" to use it. It looks like you'll be able to use it just like EZKeys...drag bass MIDI clips onto the timeline. Flesh out the bass line and drag it into your DAW.

At this time, at least, I have NO intention of building a separate chord track in EZBass. If it can't work with the chord track in Studio One, I'll keep it simple. I've got a bunch of bass VIs to play the MIDI through.

Not sure I want to get into buying a bunch of (future) bass extensions, so I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of the more complex options available (mapping them to other VIs would be a PITA).
Posted By: Tormod Guldvog Re: EZbass - 04/24/20 10:29 AM
I use both EZ drummer and EZ keys a lot so this is a must buy for me. I think Toontrack have a very nice business model. Granted, it can get expensive after a while but you really get a lot of bang for the buck, and it's easy to add pieces one at a time at low cost.
Posted By: DrDan Re: EZbass - 05/03/20 10:52 AM
Has anyone seen any intel on what the price will be? I have a no-brainer limit, then a stretch-limit, then a ouch-limit and finally a no-way limit.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: EZbass - 05/03/20 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Has anyone seen any intel on what the price will be? I have a no-brainer limit, then a stretch-limit, then a ouch-limit and finally a no-way limit.

$179 USD, according to the website.
Posted By: DrDan Re: EZbass - 05/03/20 11:27 AM
Ouch
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: EZbass - 05/03/20 11:29 AM
Ouch

Indeed! Although it will go on sale at some point I'm sure.
Posted By: MarioD Re: EZbass - 05/03/20 04:23 PM
Ouch

$179 is the standard price for any of the EZKeys. Just wait for a sale if you can.
Posted By: DrDan Re: EZbass - 05/23/20 12:44 PM
Update, EZBass was released several days ago with a price of $149 from Sweetwater. Lots of Youtube vids on its operation. I have watched many. My only comment at this time, "bass should not be this complicated".
Posted By: musiclover Re: EZbass - 05/24/20 09:54 AM
"bass should not be this complicated".

As in just load a bass part from biab and let it do its thing, if I understand you correctly, this is my way of thinking too.

For some reason or other if I do write or record a song, probably the most neglected part that I spend any time on is the bass.

Probably totally wrong as well, as a good bass part could either make or break a song.

Maybe its got something to do with all those bassist jokes we hear form time to time on the forum.

smile
Posted By: DrDan Re: EZbass - 05/25/20 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: musiclover
"bass should not be this complicated".

"...As in just load a bass part from biab and let it do its thing, if I understand you correctly, this is my way of thinking too."
smile

Exactly! But on the other hand - and this is a big but, how much of me goes into that music making workflow? My goal is to get more of me in my music not just "... load a bass part from biab and let it do its thing". If I could I would play the actual bass. Just like I would prefer to play all keys and guitars but I just don't have the talent!

And that is why I will likely buy (although with some apprehension) EZBass. crazy
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: EZbass - 05/26/20 04:33 PM
EZ Drummer 2 was the best music software “Major purchase “ I have made so far. I purchased BIAB back in December or January, but I have not put the time in to learn it. It’s just backwards to my music composition habit. EZDrummer fit nicely with the way I compose so I haven’t had a problem yet with it.

I currently don’t dread recording my own bass parts. And I’m pleased, generally, with the results, so I’m not sure about the usefulness to me. But if it yields stylistic things I can’t do like slap bass, I may be a customer.
© PG Music Forums