PG Music Home
I just tried the demo of MAGIX PC Check & Tuning. It has far more power than I expected for a utility that costs only $30/year.

Background: Magix makes other products you have already heard about, including Samplitude, Vegas video editing, Sound Forge audio editing, ACID Pro for loops, and others. I bought Vegas to experiment with making videos, and noticed an 'extra' called PC Check and Tuning. In the days of Windows 7 and before, sites like Black Viper were essential for tweaking a PC to do audio production. Usually I ignore these tweaks now that Windows 10 seems to be pretty lean and stable (except that I adjust the Power settings).

After examining and changing many settings from this program, using just the trial version, I have observed that my computer 'feels' faster. I'll take it.

So I bought the full version.
Thank you for the review Matt.
Great information Matt.
I wonder is it possible to establish any empirical evidence from using the program? Would GeekBench show this as a change in score?
Wow - Magix, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. I'll have to check it out.

One of my first entries into making music was a PS2 game they produced back in the early 00's. Showing my age a bit, but I was a child still at that point and it opened my eyes to the capabilities of making music. Thankfully, I do not use video games to make music any more, ha.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Great information Matt.
I wonder is it possible to establish any empirical evidence from using the program? Would GeekBench show this as a change in score?
Probably not Geekbench as it measures hardware performance. The effects of ‘trimming the fat’ are software related and show in program loading times. Stopping unnecessary services from running, clearing caches, stopping Windows video extras - stuff like that. All software.
Matt,
Interesting how different it is from CCleaner. To me the most challenging is to get rid of all registry trash left behind software no longer in use, and CCleaner does pretty good job at it. If I remember correctly Magix was pretty persistent piece of software... but maybe that was only my experience.

I wish there would be a trusted piece of software that would tune PC specifically for music making. Especially I/O & core distribution. I am wondering if this MAgix magic can overclock CPU safely or it is as you mentioned, "trimming the fat" without changing delicate hardware settings?
Update after having this for a few weeks: I uninstalled it.

I got tired of it interfering after every internet session telling me to remove traces of stuff. I could not find a way to shut off just this behavior. Perhaps this is what RustySpoon called ‘persistent’.

I do intend to reinstall it periodically, as I feel it did a good job cleaning up. I’ll just uninstall it each time.

No, I did not see anything related to overclocking. I didn’t expect to; this utility is all about tweaking software.
© PG Music Forums