PG Music Home
Have been thinking about a new keyboard. New ones are outrageous!

Happen to see a few on GC and ordered one. It was advertised as "excellent" "like new" condition with "no scratches, no dents, no blemishes, fully functional. I had it shipped direct to my local GC store so I could inspect it on the spot.

When it came in, it was missing a control knob, 6-8 deep scratches through the finish and into the metal on the lower front panel and the top was loose on the left side. The salesperson thought it might have been dropped.

So I refused that one, got store credit for everything except shipping and order another one..a bit higher price, still used from another GC store.

I'm now having second thoughts. I realize GC will say that their used gear is in the best possible condition to get higher prices. But to say that something is in like new condition and have it come in like that, I'm wondering if this is business as usual or if this is a one off. Honesty goes a long way in my book!

Anybody got any experience with this?

Jeff
I assume you mean Guitar Center? You should have gotten a full refund including shipping! Not store credit minus shipping. Your experience with them so far should tell you all you need to know.
I used to trade in lots of equipment at Guitar Centers, and I was always impressed that they insisted on a full inspection that included plugging it in and connecting it to prove it worked. At some point a few years ago, they stopped taking trades, so I don't know where the equipment is coming from that they would sell you, unless it's floor demos.

My more-local Guitar Center is closed now.?
When vacationing in Palm Desert I always make a stop at GC while my wife shops Target and Macy’s.
A few years ago I found the best small amp I have ever owned, an Alesis Trans-Active. It has never been anything but amazing for BIAB and vocals in rooms up to 50’ x 50’. I think I paid $75.
I have bought used equipment from GC in the past that was cosmetically in rough shape but never ran into anything that wouldn’t function. I’m not sure I would buy any instrument from anyone without an assurance that I could return it without penalty because there is just too much variation, even among new instruments. I sat in a store one day a played about 10 Epiphone Dots and found one real gem, but the others were not good at all....and all of those were brand new.
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
IYou should have gotten a full refund including shipping! Not store credit minus shipping. Your experience with them so far should tell you all you need to know.

Ditto that!
I wouldn't buy any major hardware via mail or Internet that didn't have a no-risk, no-fee, try before I buy policy.

If they can't assure me that I'll like it, I won't take the chance.

I can see how some buyers might take advantage of that, but a big store like GC can take that in stride.

If buying from Reverb or Ebay from a private seller I'm a little more lenient. I need a guarantee that if it is not as advertised the seller pays return shipping.

Sometimes I long for the good-old days where you walked into a music store and were able to try before you buy.

Insights and incites by Notes
This reminds me of when I was taking music classes in middle school and my dad ordered me a second hand digital piano as a gift, and ya...to some people second hand means 'barely functional' I swear.
My purchases of used gear from GC has been excellent.

In fact I have stopped calling them Guitar Sinner as a result.

I would demand that they refund any shipping cost as a result.
Thought I might followup on this string and bring it to closure. As I said above, I rejected the first keyboard due to its condition being much less than "like new"...actually as far as I'm concerned it was if "fair" condition at best.

Nonetheless, the second keyboard came in from GC's Huntsville AL store. I contacted then 3 times and spoke with the store manager and one of their sales associates. I was assured that it was in "pristine" condition as they said.

Due to CoVid delays in shipping, they agreed to send it out over night, next day air. As promised it arrived in Greenville, SC by 1PM the next day.

I was very much surprised with how well it was packed....there was almost 6 inches of bubble wrap on all side plus they shipped it in a Yamaha 88 key box.

I opened it there in the store and plugged it in. The condition was well beyond what I expected. Flawless...not a scratch, dent, ding, scuff mark...nothing. Started right up, checked every key...perfect!

Got home, logged into the Yamaha registration site and enter the serial number...it was never registered!

Overall, very pleased with my new toy and have had my faith renewed thanks to the folks in Huntsville, AL.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums