PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike 50 Best live albums?? - 06/05/20 10:53 AM
https://uproxx.com/music/best-live-albums-ranked/
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/05/20 12:54 PM
Speaking as a guitarist, I have to move The Allman Brothers Band Live at the Fillmore and the Who's Live at Leeds to the top of the list. Hendrix's Band of Gypsys needs to be on the list for the first note of the "Machine Gun" solo alone.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 10:00 AM
IMHO The James Brown album they listed as #12 should have been #1 (although I am glad they included it).

It is the best example of complete audience control I've heard on a live album. It is non-stop entertainment, he teases them singing a line or two of a huge hit only to go on to another and finally when he gets to the biggest hits it's like an ear-orgasm to the audience.

It's a lesson in audience pacing, teasing and pleasing.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 11:00 AM
Huh? Seriously?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 11:54 AM
No disrespect to the cultural critic who presented this, but any number of other 'critics' would come up with any number of different lists. It's really subjective, isn't it? Surely.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Frank Alves
Speaking as a guitarist, I have to move The Allman Brothers Band Live at the Fillmore and the Who's Live at Leeds to the top of the list. Hendrix's Band of Gypsys needs to be on the list for the first note of the "Machine Gun" solo alone.

+1

Live at Fillmore should certainly be ranked Higher.
That is the blues/rock/jam band live album by which all others are judged.

Band Of Gypsy's should be there also. Not just Machine Gun but Buddy Miles singing "Them Changes" is without a doubt the definitive version.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 04:08 PM
I was pleased to see that ABB Live at Fillmore East, BB King Live at The Regal and The Stones Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out all made it. Three of our favs indeed.

Bud
Posted By: rharv Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 06:43 PM
Wow, they picked the wrong Bowie live example
David Live (Philadelphia) and Serious Moonlight are both better IMO .. but at least he made the list.

Montreaux Summit circa 1977 would also have made my list .. but I'm an old guy .. I'm pretty sure BB King was there also

I was VERY glad to see Stop Making Sense high on the list (#7). That was a lot of creative effort and very well done.
I've bought that DVD/CD more than once .. what a production.
Talk about a well planned show and audience control .. wow
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv

Montreaux Summit circa 1977 would also have made my list .. but I'm an old guy .. I'm pretty sure BB King was there also ...

Perhaps not as old as me? BB’s Live At The Regal was recorded in1964 when I was a college freshman smile

Bud
Posted By: rharv Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/06/20 07:49 PM
Yeah, yer older than me for sure
I wasn't even in school yet in '64 smile
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/07/20 10:18 AM
It's always amusing to read these lists and disagree with them. Everybody has a right to their opinion, and nobody has to agree.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/07/20 10:26 AM
I did note that the O/P appended not one, but two question marks to the subject title.
Yes, Agreed.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/07/20 06:56 PM
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty. Top 3, at least.
Posted By: sslechta Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/07/20 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty. Top 3, at least.

Yes! I wore that 8-track tape out back in the day....
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/08/20 10:27 AM
Not a bad list - some that I would've personally placed higher, like At Folsom Prison or James Brown at The Apollo.

There's some in hear I haven't even heard of, so looks like I got some listening to do later.

Thanks for sharing !
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: 50 Best live albums?? - 06/10/20 09:28 PM
There are some good options on the list but I definitely think this is one of those personal taste pieces. Really neat of your to share this though, so thank you very much for taking the time to do so! smile It definitely got people talking!
© PG Music Forums