PG Music Home
Posted By: furry detuning piano for honky tonk saloon style - 06/15/20 08:20 AM
Anyone know how to slightly detune a piano rt for use as an old saloon style joanna ?
Hi Graham

I think you may have to work in midi with a honky-tonk piano patch.
As the sound you want is not an even amount of detune for all notes.
Plus the hammer effect and string resonance, will be different to a normal piano and would be included in the original sampling.
Just my thoughts
Mike

PS if you are lucky the RT may have an underlying midi transcription you may be able to use as a basic midi track to revoice, might not be quite as detailed and frilly as the RT

Posted By: furry Re: detuning piano for honky tonk saloon style - 06/15/20 08:56 AM
thanks Mike, never thought of midi
You can do this in a polyphonic version of Melodyne but it would be a tedious task. Honky tonk pianos are unique in that each string is slightly out of tune, thus for a treble note that would be three strings per note. Thus each note in Melodyne would have to be copied and detuned, so forget about it!

But you could take the RT and copy it a couple of times and slightly detune each. This of course would need a DAW.

If you go MIDI there are a number of free honk tonk pianos available, just google/bing free honky tonk vst.

Good luck.
there are several free 3rd party honky tonk piano VST searching google, may be using in BIAB or a daw can be added to, I have a great tone that I found to play for a nursing home social, for playing back some old midi files(Stars and stripes, entertainer, under the double eagle)I would give you the name, but right now my DAW is being mean and not loading but they are out there: look at this link from google:

www.Loopmasters.com/articles/4276-The-Best-10-FREE-Piano-VST-Plugins-for-PC-Mac-with-download-links
This doesn't answer the question but for anyone reading, I'll just mention that BIAB has a master tuning adjustment. It would, of course, affect all instruments so it won't help here.
Posted By: furry Re: detuning piano for honky tonk saloon style - 06/15/20 05:18 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I used to have a great detuner in a waves bundle I once had, but meanwhile I'll have a look in reason 10 & see what they have
Yep, the general midi honky-tonk piano first came to mind and I think there's probably a better sampled HT piano around if you look in some of your other synths.
Another search term is "tack" piano. Some pianos get that honky tonk piano sound by pressing thumb-tacks into the felt hammer pads.
Posted By: furry Re: detuning piano for honky tonk saloon style - 06/16/20 06:57 PM
Tack piano ? Thanks Jim
+++ Tack Piano VST +++ internet search. smile
You can also start to acheive this by taking two different sampled pianos; hopefully some that are not perfectly in tune, and stack them - send the same midi data to both simultaneously, adjusting level and EQ of each patch independently. Roll off quite a bit of lows if you have a really well recorded, long string grand piano sample.

I'll see if I can record something quick to demonstrate my point.
© PG Music Forums