PG Music Home
Posted By: Bawb Never enough time to record!!! - 06/17/20 11:45 PM
I have 8 (what I consider REALLY good) songs all done except the vocal tracks. I'd love to get the vocals recorded on them, but between work and life, I haven't had a minute to breathe...

Just a frustrated rant...

Thanks for reading...
Posted By: musiclover Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/18/20 08:57 AM
Know exactly what you mean, I have three songs sitting in band in a box need the vocals as well and some other tinkering around the edges.

I think its a catch 22, the longer I put it off, the further into the future it seems, where I reach the the point of saying "maybe this year" which doesn't happen.

smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/18/20 04:42 PM
You have to schedule time for the things you believe are important.

If not, you will always have something else that is more important to do and you will never "find the time" to get to the thing you say you want to do. We all have the same exact amount of time in a given day, week, month, year. How we choose to spend those minutes is totally up to us.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/18/20 05:11 PM
@Bawb - I can totally relate to the uncompleted songs and the frustration.

You're probably not looking for advice, but for others, I concur with Herb, and the way I try to apply it is to just grab 5 or 10 mins just to write another line of lyrics, or even just record a snippet of vocals into my iPad. Sometimes a bit of magic happens when you do things that feed your mind and your soul - that bit of extra energy, or satisfaction can actually charge you up and make you *more* productive afterwards. Even if not, you might just a bit more happy and fun to be around, and that counts too smile

P.S. - Not getting on a high horse - I struggle to follow my own advice every day!

Posted By: edshaw Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/18/20 06:09 PM
Maybe you could enlist the aid of one or more of the excellent vocal talents on this board -- a collaboration. It would help to have a scratch vocal track for them to go on. I'm surprised someone doesn't do this as a regular activity.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/18/20 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
You have to schedule time for the things you believe are important.

If not, you will always have something else that is more important to do and you will never "find the time" to get to the thing you say you want to do. We all have the same exact amount of time in a given day, week, month, year. How we choose to spend those minutes is totally up to us.

Herb, lets set the record straight. I don't always find something else to do that is more important than making music. But my wife does! wink shocked mad cry grin
Posted By: rharv Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/18/20 10:48 PM
Even if it's just deciding that 'every Thursday night I'm spending a couple hours working on my music' .. like Herb said; you can make it happen if you want to. After a few weeks my wife/kids got the hang of the schedule; and they see it makes for a better me!

You might not get the best recording on the first Thursday night, but pile up a few of them and you'll see progress.

Gotta commit to it and do it or it may never happen.

/once you do this you may find yourself spending more and more time recording in addition to Thursday night, this is a good thing smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/19/20 06:51 PM
+1 "I concur with Herb, and the way I try to apply it is to just grab 5 or 10 mins just to write another line of lyrics"

P.S. Sometimes I would just think about some music stuff, technical or creative when doing work that does not require full focus and when time permits to record, I try to use those "thoughts"... and usually that helps to do more creative things in less time.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Never enough time to record!!! - 06/19/20 07:39 PM
Yeah !! I sometimes get too far away from it all as well , although now to me it isn't a job its a hobby.

So when I do get a bit of a chance , some times my other hobby's take over.

And I love them all !!.

Take care.
© PG Music Forums