PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Broken attachment photo links - 06/23/20 01:31 PM
Hi Folks.
Probably was asked before...
In the forum, when you attach photos (using forum attachment system), many times they would disappear (show up as broken links) then re-appear intermittently after some time. Mine, other users, new, old random....Different places of the forum. In my non-scientific calculations, photos would not show up 20% of the time randomly browsing topics. What is going on? I assume the WHOLE forum "attachment" folder on server is only a few GB., should be fairly easy to maintain. Was this discussed, or it is just me?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/23/20 01:47 PM
I have not read such a report nor seen a discussion.

I upload attachments to my website then post links, because this used to be the only way to do it (or Dropbox etc. ) so I have not had a problem.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/23/20 06:16 PM
I haven't witnessed an issue myself.

You mention attaching photos. Are you attaching a JPG image directly, or a link to an image?
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/23/20 10:13 PM
Matt, Videotrack.

I am talking about attached jpegs, not links.

As I mentioned, I have seen images show as "broken", but the next day they would show up. I have seen this behavior for at least a week now. '

Ok, I will start a little diary and will try to write down times and forum posts that had broken images.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 11:25 AM
My post (and any given post with "Attached through PG forum" photos) had broken "links" for images

Here is example of my post:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=603674#Post603674

Was out:
Yesterday, Thursday at 8:03 AM EST
Today, Friday at 9:22 AM
Today, Friday at 10:14 then came back on.

I am sure it happens MUCH more often, but this is what I caught.

What I am saying, it is ok to cycle stuff once in a while, but when it is happening this often at random times, whoever is managing the network should take some steps (to monitor and find the cause) This is not a normal behavior.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 04:15 PM
Is it specific to a single mobile device, PC or MAC? Is it specific to a single net provider?

Bud
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 06:37 PM
Hi Bud,
I do not believe that not displaying attachments intermittently , but displaying everything else is related to my internet provider.
(Well, it can, but with great probability it is not)

I believe it is related to network admin issues of the server where PG keeps attachments from the forum. I provided "times" when it happened, should be fairly easy to trace or to monitor. This is not particular to my posts. Sometimes I would browse or search threads and would get these broken links at random times, then pictures would appear at later re-visit.
Posted By: rharv Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 06:54 PM
Doesn't seem like many others are seeing this, multiple regulars have said they are not seeing it; add me to the list.

I can't recall ever seeing this issue.
So maybe it IS device related (or network related).

GMail provides email.
Sometimes when I open an email the image is missing. When I inspect the issue I find Google cached the image for me (thanks) then lost it .. so it's not the original image providers fault, but rather the service provider.
/sidenote - I have narrowed this down to images with a space in the name; sometimes Google Cache just somehow loses them .. but not all the time

This is just one example of how it could be caused by something specific to your network.
Is your device or provider caching them, then losing them?

Heck, even an SD card on a phone suddenly disappearing can cause random issues like this.
But again, it appears the rest of us aren't seeing this.

/it's not good news, but at least I bumped the post to see if others chime in
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 07:22 PM
Attachments are only available if you are logged in... could that be it?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 07:27 PM
Good point Andrew. I'm always logged in automatically as part of my settings.
I actually wasn't aware that images are only displayed if the user is logged in.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Broken attachment photo links - 06/26/20 08:21 PM
Hmm... logged in...
I will double check next time. I did not know that I have to be logged in to view attachments. I believe I was. Because I would not be able to write my message above., maybe I logged in on autopilot smile

P.S. I saw pipeline's attachments when my were missing, but I am guessing "logged in" exclusion does not apply to inserted picture links from other sources.
Resolved! Silly me. Yes, I was not logged in smile

Pipeline's post tripped me off, because "linked" attachments are visible even if you are not logged.

P.S. a suggestion... Perhaps make a small banner explaining "that you have to be logged in to view attachments" when one is not logged in.

Lets assume, I am average "browser" found your site, reading posts... broken links without explanation would tell me that something is not working right and admin has to be spanked. And if it explains that you have to register....Who knows maybe it will bring new customers smile

Good outcome. I learned something also. smile
Quote:
P.S. a suggestion... Perhaps make a small banner explaining "that you have to be logged in to view attachments" when one is not logged in.

Good idea. That is done now.
© PG Music Forums