PG Music Home
Mods - Feel free to move this topic if needed. It was broader than songwriting, so threw it in here.

I'm sure most of the folks on this forum have many years of experience with performing, finding chords, and learning songs on your instrument. I've just started really taking it seriously after a few years in my youth when I wasn't quite ready. As part of my new scattershot approach, I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve my ear, and thereby my songwriting. I came across a pretty helpful site today, so wanted to throw it out there and see if others may find it useful, although I suspect that there are much better choices out there. You've got to start somewhere though!

Here it is:

E-Chords

What I particularly like about this site is that it shows you the chords next to the lyrics in a pretty easily readable format, and you can click on the chords and play them, view them for guitar, manipulate them a bit, and it also gives the option to listen to a YouTube clip. The database seems quite extensive too - I was listening to a Jazz Standards station on Amazon Music and every single one of the songs I looked up, both old and newer, were there by the artist performing it. I'm finding it very helpful to get a better sense of the sound of the different chord types and progressions, and how they support and guide the melody.

If anyone has a site they like better, or recommendations on other ways to do what I'm trying here, feel free to jump right in.
This is a good site. Thanks for posting.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums