PG Music Home
Having no sound at all after a Windows update, I managed to FINALLY get some sound for BIAB by setting the "Playback" in the Win10 "Sound" window to "Speakers, Default Device" from what I had been using, "Speakers, Sound Blaster Z".

Now I'm having trouble getting Audacity to record my BIAB song. I've tried all the combinations I can in Audacity's "Edit > Preferences > Devices" window.

For "Interface > Host" my choices are MME, Windows Direct Sound and Windows WASAPI.

For "Playback > Device" and "Recording > Device" my choices are varied depending on which of the 3 "Interface > Host" setting I choose. (I can list all the choices if needed.)

I can't seem to get any combination to work.
Is there another setting I need to change somewhere?
As you can see, I'm in way over my head here.

Help!
Thanks!
LLOYD S
I don't know if this assists Lloyd, and it seems you have probably tried it, but if you can hear BiaB through the system's speakers, then you should just need to experiment with Audacity Recording Device settings to record the system's speakers:

Attached picture 2020-07-30_8-29-02.jpg
VideoTrack:

I finally found it to be this combination:

Interface - Windows WASAPI
Playback Device - 1) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Recording Device- A) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) (loopback)
=(WASAPI+1+A)

****************** out of all the possible combinations below.
I'm surprised that it worked with "(loopback)" and I don't get much volume
but at least I get something!
Thanks for your help!
LLOYD S

Interface Playback > Device Recording > Device

MME 1) - Output A) - Input MME+1+A MME+1+B MME+1+C
2) Speakers (2- High Definition Au … B) What U Hear (Sound Blaster Z) MME+2+A MME+2+B MME+2+C
3) Speakers (2- High Definition Au … C) Digital-In (Sound Blaster Z) MME+3+A MME+3+B MME+3+C
4 )SPDIF-Out (Sound Blaster Z) MME+4+A MME+4+B MME+4+C
5) Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2- High … MME+5+A MME+5+B MME+5+C
6) Speakers (Sound Blaster Z) MME+6+A MME+6+B MME+6+C

Windows DirectSound 1) Primary Sound Driver A) Primary Sound Capture Driver WDS+1+A WDS+1+B WDS+1+C
2) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device B) What U Hear (Sound Blaster Z) WDS+2+A WDS+2+B WDS+2+C
3) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device C) Digital-In (Sound Blaster Z) WDS+3+A WDS+3+B WDS+3+C
4) SPDIF-Out (Sound Blaster Z) WDS+4+A WDS+4+B WDS+4+C
5) Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2- High Definition Audio Device) WDS+5+A WDS+5+B WDS+5+C
6) Speakers (Sound Blaster Z) WDS+6+A WDS+6+B WDS+6+C

Windows WASAPI 1) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) A) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) (loopback) WASAPI+1+A WASAPI+1+B WASAPI+1+C WASAPI+1+D WASAPI+1+E WASAPI+1+F WASAPI+1+G
2) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) B) Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) (loopback) WASAPI+2+A WASAPI+2+B WASAPI+2+C WASAPI+2+D WASAPI+2+E WASAPI+2+F WASAPI+2+G
3) SPDIF-Out (Sound Blaster Z) C) SPDIF-Out (Sound Blaster Z) (loopback) WASAPI+3+A WASAPI+3+B WASAPI+3+C WASAPI+3+D WASAPI+3+E WASAPI+3+F WASAPI+3+G
4) Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2- High Definition Audio Device) D) Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2- High Definition Audio Device) (loopback) WASAPI+4+A WASAPI+4+B WASAPI+4+C WASAPI+4+D WASAPI+4+E WASAPI+4+F WASAPI+4+G
5) Speakers (Sound Blaster Z) E) Speakers (Sound Blaster Z) (loopback) WASAPI+5+A WASAPI+5+B WASAPI+5+C WASAPI+5+D WASAPI+5+E WASAPI+5+F WASAPI+5+G
F) What U Hear (Sound Blaster Z)
G) Digital-In (Sound Blaster Z)
Fantastic, thanks for letting us know it helped. You might consider opening your original post and marking the subject as [Resolved]. There's a button available to do that.
Done.
Thanks!
I read through this and I have a question. Are you really using computer provided onboard sound and not an external interface? I am confused as to where Realtek audio is fitting into this puzzle. Don't you input your own devices for recording instruments and vocals? I don't really pay attention to other people's setup (as many list them in their sig file) but I don't know of too many who don't have some kind of USB based interface. Did I miss something?
Eddie:

No you didn't miss anything.
The computer that this set up is referring to, is not the one that I record on. This one is set up strictly for "general household" use, like surfing the web, checking emails, checking PG Music Forums and the like.
I have BIAB and RB installed on it, only for convenience of inputting chords and working with songs, figuring out styles etc. Not for recording.

Thanks!
LLOYD S
Okay. That makes it clear. Micro$oft wants to own your computer and tends to set things the way THEY want it. With every new build of Windows I have to reassign my sound to my Focusrite on this computer, the studio computer, the GOxlr on my streaming computer, and the M-Audio interface on the laptop. But it is what it is.
© PG Music Forums