PG Music Home
Before the pandemic I would go to a nail salon.

There are ten zillion cosmetic nails for sale.

I want clear thick nails.

Where to buy?
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Before the pandemic I would go to a nail salon.

There are ten zillion cosmetic nails for sale.

I want clear thick nails.

Where to buy?

I'm missing the point, sorry.

"There are ten zillion cosmetic nails for sale": Does this mean that none of them are "clear thick nails", or you know that a zillion cosmetic nails for sale are for sale - but not from where?

Most guitar players I know use a device called a plectrum, but I'm no expert in these matters.
Billy,

I've never heard of a fingerpicker using cosmetic nails, although that doesn't mean some haven't.

It's always been bare fingers, fingerpicks or chicken pickin'.

Edit: And of course thumb pick and bare fingers.
Hi there,

I am not looking for cosmetic nails that women would put on.

I am looking for clear acrylic nails thick enough to be useful for finger picking.

There are several types of plastic "picks" or plectrums. In the United States we refer to a plectrum as a flat pick. We also have thumb picks. We also have finger picks made from metal.

There are a lot more...

This is a quote from Tommy Emmanuel.

"You can either choose to grow your nails and play like so many fingerstyle player do. They either use their nails or they use the acrylic nails. I play with calluses that I've developed on the tips of my fingers. You could do that as well. Some people play with finger picks instead of nails. So there are a lot of choices out there."

There are a lot of choices, but they do not all sound the same. Metal finger picks have a unique sound for example.

My preference is to use what is known as hybrid picking some of the time. That entails holding a flat pick with thumb and first finger and use acrylic nails on the other three fingers. You can palm the flat pick and go back to straight finger picking. I also sometimes play with a Dunlop thumb pick that I modify to the length I want.

There are many things that are not obvious about playing guitar.

Cheers,

Billy
Somewhere, Brent Mason talks about finding a gross of acrylic nails on eBay and bought the lot.
I ordered some from Amazon. I can use them but they are very thin. They came in 10 different sizes and perhaps 20 per size for about seven dollars. I ordered some glue which will arrive tomorrow and I am going to try to put two of them together.

There are plenty for sale but none I see talk about the thickness. Perhaps I will put a hazmat suit on and go to the nail salon...lol

Here are some that don't look very girly...lol

Used for finger picking death metal I assume...lol
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

Fingerpicks for banjo and bare fingers for guitar! I find bare fingers are best for two reasons, 1) they mute the sound a little so the guitar never overpowers the vocals and 2) they are always available and never lost!
John,

I remember finding a new flatpick that I really liked and I got a good friend to try it out and he loved it.

I told him the only problem with it was that they cost $10 each.

He said "To hell with that! I lose picks for a past time!" I said "I know, ... but you're blind!"

He said "My point exactly!" LOL
Billy,

I've never heard of a fingerpicker using cosmetic nails, although that doesn't mean some haven't.

James Taylor has used fake nails for years, and he has videos available on youtube about how he does it.

I've also met guitar players at Merlefest who go to a salon to get acrylic nail for their style of playing. I tried it for a while, but I prefer the feel and sound of fingertips against the strings.
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Billy,

James Taylor has used fake nails for years, and he has videos available on youtube about how he does it.

I've also met guitar players at Merlefest who go to a salon to get acrylic nail for their style of playing. I tried it for a while, but I prefer the feel and sound of fingertips against the strings.

Pat,

I should have known that but I've never really spent any time on finger picking techniques since I so rarely used it.

What little time I spent on finger picking was done on the banjo.

James Taylor's "Mud Slide Slim" album was one of my favorites for years.
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

I posted it above (in this thread).
After the brush on glue arrived I was able to double the thinner nails. These clear nails are working fine. I think they may be a bit softer than the ones from the salon.

Billy
The salon puts the acrylic on them which makes them thicker and stronger. You can do this as well but it is hard to do if you are right handed and trying to use your left hand to get a nice smooth acrylic finish. You can buy the stuff. I bought a gross of nails off of Amazon a couple of years ago and it will take many years to use them all up! Of course with the nails you have to put that hand in your pocket when you go to the redneck bars!

Richard Smith (finger-stylist) uses them exclusively, goes to the salon. I see you are in Miami. I am in Homestead. The salons are pretty safe now, they have barriers, you wear a mask, They have always worn masks as the one I use. I only get 3 nails on my right hand on the i, m and a fingers. My natural nails are just not strong enough for good finger-style.

Tommy Emmanuel uses his callouses on the tips of his fingers because he never liked the sound his nails gave him. Chet of course used nails and occasionally a fake one when he had to because of a broken or split nail. I have seen a video or two on YouTube showing the fake nail on one of his fingers.
Billy,

Many do. The professionals do it because they can't afford a broken nail when they perform every day. Some are lucky and have very strong natural nails. I used to use a hardener on mine but it got to be where they would still tear or split. Just not good DNA I guess. I find the acrylic nails work great. I learned to play watching Chet Atkins and he always used his nails so I did too. Of course classical players all use nails.
[quote=Planobilly]After the brush on glue arrived I was able to double the thinner nails. These clear nails are working fine. I think they may be a bit softer than the ones from the salon.

Billy [/quote

Guitar Player Nails It is a lot of work for these as they are not like the fake nails you can buy. Although they sell those as well. They also have some of the stuff you may need to make it better for you. Plenty of success stories from classical players with their nails.
Thanks for all the feedback. I have learned to put the nails on. As I am not playing for long periods of time, the current nails are working ok.

Perhaps a vaccine will be developed. There is no totally safe environment outside the controlled conditions I have in my house. At times I get tired of being concerned with the risk. I guess we all do.

It does seem pretty illogical to risk contracting Covid-19 of going to a nail solon.
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Thanks for all the feedback. I have learned to put the nails on. As I am not playing for long periods of time, the current nails are working ok.

Perhaps a vaccine will be developed. There is no totally safe environment outside the controlled conditions I have in my house. At times I get tired of being concerned with the risk. I guess we all do.

It does seem pretty illogical to risk contracting Covid-19 of going to a nail solon.

My guess it is riskier driving to the salon in our Miami traffic, than actually being there but I understand!
I spent years trying not to break nails and even resorted to tissue paper ansd clear nail varnish in the 60s and 70s to stop splits.

A couple of years ago I started taking multivitamins and calcium/magnesium tablets every morning. Not sure which of them is responsible but my nails are rock hard, don't split and grow like crazy.

and it takes a lot to break them so it hardly ever happens.
I have watch this thread with fascination. I had a friend who had the most wonderful set of nails. I cannot image her playing guitar with them.

Learned something new every day!

...Deb
© PG Music Forums