PG Music Home
https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/29/youtube_copyright_complaint_process/
Very interesting read. But I have little sympathy for the guy in this story whose Youtube account was affected. He decided to build a career on a 3rd-party platform he has no control over whose terms & conditions he agreed to in advance. And he used copyrighted songs as a basis for creating his teaching videos. He benefited HUGELY from the work of others and then was distraught when it almost got shut down. C'mon! If I steal a car to drive my kids to school I still have to give it back when I get caught! Or, let's say I "borrow" my neighbor's car and I only do it when he is away and obviously not using it. And I always put gas in it when I return it. And I even got an oil change when I saw I had used it for 3,000 miles! smile It doesn't matter. I am still using his property without permission and that is a crime!
Or, he could get a job.

I got a copyright strike once when I posted one of MY OWN SONGS!!!!
This exact issue of posting stuff FIRST and then waiting for a rights holder to complain has been working it's way through Congress. All the big sites basically do the same thing. Their legal position is they only provide the platform, they have no control over what any one user posts. To me that's a very weak argument and they have gotten a free ride for years because of it.

Look at it from the other side and all of us as viewers of YT, what would they have to do if the current system is made illegal to the point Google itself would be sued by a rights holder? The whole system could be shut down because it would be financially impractical for them to pay licensing fees for every single piece of protected content and hire gazillions of people to police that.

I enjoy YT a lot, love it but if I had to pay say $50 a month to use it because they would have to charge that much or it's not worth it, I don't know. The current system is messed up for sure and I sympathize with all the rights holders because they deserve to get paid too but right now it's on them to discover a violation and that is wrong imho but if you change that to Google/Facebook/ and everyone else having to bear that responsibility then the entire internet as we all know and love it gets turned upside down.

Right now it's free for users specifically because none of the mega billion dollar internet content providers have to pay any of those fees because they've won the argument that they're not responsible, the users are.

Bob
© PG Music Forums