PG Music Home
Posted By: Lloyd S Country songs that change key - 10/02/20 01:55 PM
I tried looking this up on the 'net but didn't get very far.
What I'm after is some suggestions of songs that change key.
Not merely modulate up (or down) a whole tone or semi tone, but a key change, preferably from the I to the IV as in C to F.

I have a couple of examples:
- Beer Barrel Polka (i.e. Roll Out The Barrel)
- Under The Double Eagle

There are some that change from I to V like San Antonio Rose, but for harmonica cross harp playing in the second position, it's easier (at least for me) to have the song go from I to IV.

Is there a "proper name" for that kind of song?
It may be easier to google if I knew what to call it! lol

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
LLOYD S
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Country songs that change key - 10/02/20 02:18 PM
Songs that modulate is all I can think of to search. For a great example, though you specified country, here's a song that changes key 22 times as covered by a bunch of Staten Island people who collectively call themselves The Band Geeks. It's a Sergio Mendez classic called Never Gonna Let You Go. And while you are watching, listening for the key changes, and laughing because they present it in a humorous way, play close attention to how frickin' good these people are. The guy playing guitar and singing is from Blue Oyster Cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nhIRJkj8SE&ab_channel=RichieCastellano
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Country songs that change key - 10/02/20 04:40 PM
Absolutely sensational. Amazing talent.
(By about half way through I wanted to be the drummer grin )
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Country songs that change key - 10/02/20 06:09 PM
Great find eddie, I'll check for "modulating songs".
I always thought that was just the half or full step change but
wikipedia says it's any key change.

Thanks!
LLOYD S
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Country songs that change key - 10/02/20 06:15 PM
That drummer tours with Kasim Sultan and fills in with BOC. The cute girl is (sadly) now Richie's (guitar player) EX wife. She was the darling of that channel and when they parted ways he lost a lot of his male followers. LOL!!

But if you wander that channel, OMG the music they play. They did that cover of Roundabout during quarantine and I think Richie told me it took them almost 2 weeks for everybody to get through all the takes it took to play their parts and then for him to assemble the video. The thing for me is that they are such GREAT singers! Ann Marie has a BA in Music from a private college. teaches music and voice at Richie's father's music store (awkward) as well as in a private high school. Richie has a BA from Berklee College of Music and won some major award there his senior year. Andy the drummer is a better keyboard player than he is a drummer, if you can imagine that. There's one on their channel where they cover Africa and it's just "wow". Also a guy named Mike Tirelli comes in to sing the Coverdale kind of stuff and they did Here I Go Again BETTER than Whitesnake. Truly an amazing group of players.

But that cover of the Sergio song... is that some singing or what?
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Country songs that change key - 10/02/20 06:25 PM
Check out this video from Signals Music Studio on modulations and key changes. I sub this channel. It's excellent!

Also, check out the "Music Theory For Guitar" YouTube channel. There are quite a few videos that deal with modulations and key changes. Another excellent channel that I sub.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRwIF4NhKQf6tQpnYDcSC5A
Posted By: edshaw Re: Country songs that change key - 10/04/20 09:37 PM
Good ones, Eddie. Lotsa listening to do.
Another: Johnny Cash "I Walk the Line."
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Country songs that change key - 10/05/20 10:50 AM
Conway Twitty..... Lay you down. It DE-modulates.... several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7FspsAHqfQ starts the demod at around 2:30
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Country songs that change key - 10/05/20 11:03 AM
I can't name them from memory.

However, I appreciate a song that temporarily changes from the tonic key. I remember the old "big band" musicians that I talked with when I was a young pro in a rock band, they called the bridge "The Release" because it released you from the tonic key.

In my feeble attempts at writing songs, I find the 'release' the most difficult part to write. I'm my own worst critic and everything I write sounds corny to me.

That said, any song, country or otherwise that uses a 12 bar blues progression has a 'bridge/release/key-change'. When it goes the the IV (sub-dominant) on the 5th measure it is changing the key for a couple of bars.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Country songs that change key - 10/05/20 12:48 PM
This is great! So far I have:

- Beer Barrel Polka (i.e. Roll Out The Barrel)
- Under The Double Eagle
- I Walk The Line
- Lay You Down

and I found one other

- Blue Skirt Waltz

Not all have the I to IV modulation I'm looking for, but all good to know regardless.
Thanks everyone!
LLOYD S
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Country songs that change key - 10/05/20 02:49 PM
I think some performances of "Mac The Knife" may have changed up a semitone at the start of each chorus.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Country songs that change key - 10/07/20 02:00 PM
VideoTrack:

Yup, the Bobby Darin version for sure.
Thanks!

LLOYD S
Posted By: KeithS Re: Country songs that change key - 10/09/20 09:51 AM
Roger Miller did a lot of that. Chug-a-lug, Bobbie McGee, Engine, Engine #9, One Dyin’ and a Buryin’, Swing Low Swingin’ Chariot, Swiss Maid, and King of the Road come to mind.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Country songs that change key - 10/09/20 10:31 AM
I'd forgotten about the Roger Miller songs.
Thanks Keith!
© PG Music Forums