PG Music Home
Hi,

This is a common type of bass line in country music. It predominantly alternates from the root to the four with some walk ups to the four.

Does it have a specific name?

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/bass-mixdown

Billy

EDIT...sorry I meant fifth not fourth.
Ummm, country bass? On a gig if someone calls a song the bass player didn't know but it was like this that's exactly what I would tell him, it's a 1-5 country bass. Any decent player would know what to do with it.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Ummm, country bass? On a gig if someone calls a song the bass player didn't know but it was like this that's exactly what I would tell him, it's a 1-5 country bass. Any decent player would know what to do with it.

Bob

Not knowing anything more descriptive that what you said I would say the same thing. I guess I was wondering if some famous country bass player had developed the style and it was named after him.

Billy
I took lessons from a country musician. I never heard him say a name. What is happening is the 1 and 3 beats of the measure is 1 and 5 of the scale. The notes afterwards walk you to the next chord pattern.

It is not the same as a walking bass line.

Hope this helps.

...Deb
Have a look at Bass RealTrack 2912.

2912: Bass, Electric CountryTrainBeat12-key Ev16 090 (Byron House)

They refer to is as a Country Train Beat

It's similar at least.
Thanks Deb,

I don't really play bass. I have one setting here I sometimes pick up if the bass line is not to complex.

The question actually got generated because of trying to figure out what to call many things, especially in BIAB .

It is about knowing common or not so common expressions defining something.

I like Bob would say to the bass player if need be play the root and the fifth and play the fifth lower than the root. Also I would remind him or her that there is no money above the fifth fret in country...lol I also could play notes on my guitar to show the bass player.

It is common in many forms of music for the bass player to play the root or tonic, on the one with the kick drum. Bass generally supports both the rhythm and the harmonic structure.

Cheers,

Billy
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Have a look at Bass RealTrack 2912.

2912: Bass, Electric CountryTrainBeat12-key Ev16 090 (Byron House)

They refer to is as a Country Train Beat

It's similar at least.

Hey there my friend, how are you today?

I generally associate the term Train Beat with the drums but I guess it could also refer to what the bass player is doing. I am not a bass player so I don't know all the terms that may exist. And I certainly have difficulty trying understand what BIAB calls some things.

How is the world treating you there in Melbourne?

Cheers,

Billy
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

How is the world treating you there in Melbourne?

Melbourne's good, thanks. We're all trying to get on top of a little pandemic. And slowly winning smile .
I don't know that there's a name to that other than to call it a standard country bass line. That bass line can fit well into literally hundreds of country songs. I played with a bass player that ....well.... that was what he played. He had a good time doing it and made a lot of money doing it.

PS: he also owned the PA system
LOL...He owned the PA...that's a real bass player...lol
© PG Music Forums