PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Great musical quotes - 10/19/20 03:24 PM
"Now I am going to do a medley of my greatest hit!"

- Mary Trevors

"All of my mistakes were intentional!"

- Chet Atkins

( I encourage everyone to add their favourite music -related quotes just for fun! )

( Please note the Canuck spelling, eh? Two great nations separated by a common language! )
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 10:24 AM
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.”
― Angus Young (AC/DC)

“I’ve been imitated so well I’ve heard people copy my mistakes.”
― Jimi Hendrix
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 10:41 AM
“We don't like their sound and guitar music is on the way out.”

― Decca Recording Co. rejecting The Beatles in 1962
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 10:52 AM
John Coltrane, when asked by Miles Davis about the length of his solos, said "I don't know how to stop." In perfect Miles Davis fashion, Miles replied "Try taking the ****ing horn out of your mouth."

Miles Davis was a treasure trove of quotes.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there.
You've got to know the rules before you break 'em.
When you are creating your own s***, man, even the sky ain't the limit.
I’ll play it and tell you what it is later.

I just loved Miles attitude.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 01:20 PM
Aaron Copeland was known for his wit and wisdom.
When asked, "Is there a meaning to music?"
He replied, "Yes, of course there is."
Further, he was asked, "Can you state, then, in so many words what the meaning is?"
To which Mr. Copeland replied, "Therein lies the problem."
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 01:25 PM
Lawrence Welk, stoic as he appeared on stage, had a wicked, dry sense of humor. I don't remember who told the story, but it was a trumpet player. During a gig the guy had to go to the bathroom, and as quietly as possible he snuck off the stage in mid set. At the break, Lawrence asked him what that was all about. The guy told him he had to use the bathroom and couldn't wait. Lawrence looked at him, and purely deadpan, said "Bathroom? You knew about this gig a month ago."
Posted By: furry Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Lawrence Welk, stoic as he appeared on stage, had a wicked, dry sense of humor. I don't remember who told the story, but it was a trumpet player. During a gig the guy had to go to the bathroom, and as quietly as possible he snuck off the stage in mid set. At the break, Lawrence asked him what that was all about. The guy told him he had to use the bathroom and couldn't wait. Lawrence looked at him, and purely deadpan, said "Bathroom? You knew about this gig a month ago."

ROFL
Posted By: furry Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 01:49 PM
The late sir Jimmy Shand was staying in a guest house with fellow players. At breakfast, he spotted a minute tub of honey on the table.
" I see you keep a bee madam " The dining room was in an uproar
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 01:58 PM
"What does a timpanist know about music?"

- Victor Borge

"Too bad nobody requested THAT one!"

- Victor Borge
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 02:27 PM
"Anybody here a Rolling Stones fan? Great, here is a medley of Beatles' tunes!"
Tommy Emmanuel
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Great musical quotes - 10/20/20 06:16 PM
"Foo Fighters is the stupidest band name ever" - Dave Grohl, of the Foo Fighters

“If I didn’t do this well, I just wouldn’t have anything to do…I can’t cook, and I’d be a terrible housewife.” - Freddie Mercury
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Great musical quotes - 10/21/20 11:14 AM
"Turn it up to 11 and rip off the knobs" .... Not sure who said that... but sounds like something I would have said or perhaps even Spinal Tap.

" Man, if you gotta ask, you'll never know " Louis Armstrong said this when asked to define jazz. Note: I have this taped on my monitor in the studio.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Great musical quotes - 10/21/20 06:59 PM
"There are no wrong notes in jazz: only notes in the wrong places." - Miles Davis

"There are no wrong notes: some are just more right than others." – Thelonius Monk
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Great musical quotes - 10/21/20 07:03 PM
The nice thing about playing fretless is that you can play a note, and then renegotiate. - Stewart Copeland
© PG Music Forums