PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz I just remembered - 11/06/20 03:25 AM
I just remembered a funny story about something that happened years ago.
In 1975, I'd been playing my organ in bands for a few years, and in a record shop I found an LP of music played on the Moog synthesizer. I loved the sound, and had to have one. I bought a Moog -it was expensive in those days - around $575.00 - but I bought it and used it in conjunction with my Yamaha organ for quite a few years. Although it was only monophonic I loved the synthetic voices -trumpets, flutes, etc that could immitate.
But after a few years it died.
I took it to a technician and asked him if he could fix it and he said he probably could and to leave it with him, but I never heard back.
Scroll ahead a few years and my wife decided to get it out for me and give it to me as a (joke) birthday present. She contacted the technician and told him that her husband had dropped in a Moog synthesizer about six or seven years ago and she would like it back.
He thought about it and said, "Oh yes, it'll be ready by Friday." laugh
Posted By: Teunis Re: I just remembered - 11/06/20 03:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
I just remembered a funny story about something that happened years ago.
In 1975, I'd been playing my organ in bands for a few years, and in a record shop I found an LP of music played on the Moog synthesizer. I loved the sound, and had to have one. I bought a Moog -it was expensive in those days - around $575.00 - but I bought it and used it in conjunction with my Yamaha organ for quite a few years. Although it was only monophonic I loved the synthetic voices -trumpets, flutes, etc that could immitate.
But after a few years it died.
I took it to a technician and asked him if he could fix it and he said he probably could and to leave it with him, but I never heard back.
Scroll ahead a few years and my wife decided to get it out for me and give it to me as a (joke) birthday present. She contacted the technician and told him that her husband had dropped in a Moog synthesizer about six or seven years ago and she would like it back.
He thought about it and said, "Oh yes, it'll be ready by Friday." laugh

I like the story. I wonder how he found it under all the other junk he has.

Keep smilin’. You are now (this week) welcome to come up to the Gold Coast. Once you’re in you’re safe.

Tony
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I just remembered - 11/06/20 10:26 AM
Ha Ha. As they say, the squeaky wheel...

Presumably, the present actually turned up?
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: I just remembered - 11/06/20 05:19 PM
Great story! Reminds me of a few instances way back when I worked at a local TV repair shop of when customers would take a couple years to pick up their repairs. At least in our defense we had actually done the work and phoned multiple times!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I just remembered - 11/06/20 06:39 PM
Never forget an old joke. I told that joke for years about a shoe repair shop when I called 20 years later.

But in a REAL story, a guy I know in NC is Bob Moog's nephew. He has Mini Moog #4. In a box. As it came from the factory. I asked him once about how much money he plans to ask for it when he gets ready to sell, and his reply was "Whatever 4 years of a kid in college costs. Rick Wakeman will be my first contact!" To which I reply "You better get that kid into college soon. He is like 71 years old!"

Whenever I talk to him I offer him 50 bucks for it. His usual reply is something like "50 bucks will get you a Polaroid of it." Hope to visit him when I make my spring road trip (with the new dog!) and maybe get to see at least the box! LOL! I also hope to make it over to the Moogseum in Asheville.
Posted By: jford Re: I just remembered - 11/18/20 11:57 AM
Eddie, I just went to the Moog Museum in September. It was very cool and a lot of it is hands on (you get to play with theremins and synths and read about his time in North Carolina.

Attached picture Moog Museum.jpg
Attached picture Moog Museum 2.jpg
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I just remembered - 11/18/20 02:42 PM
Oh man I have to have that bench!!!!
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: I just remembered - 11/18/20 03:28 PM
I guess that bench is for playing rests.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: I just remembered - 11/18/20 04:08 PM
Maybe it's a new kind of scale.

"How much do you weigh?"

"Octave and a half!"
Posted By: MarioD Re: I just remembered - 11/18/20 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I guess that bench is for playing rests.

Good one grin gringrin grin grin gringrin grin
© PG Music Forums