PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 02:21 PM
Well, it is almost done. I have it up and running. Decided to do a clean install of windows on the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe. It was not to much of an issue. The Bios is pretty complex in the Z390 board. Still need to receive the video card and thunderbolt card. So far so good. Downloading software for a couple of days I guess.

Very little fan noise and runs very cool with the H60 water cooler. Looks like something from LA, everything is black...lol

Billy
Posted By: sslechta Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 02:24 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 03:56 PM
Thanks Steve, Building the computer was the easy part. Downloading the software will take many hours. I have a ton of Toontracks stuff.

I feel pretty comfortable now with two computers with more or less the same software. The old one will now probably run for ever...lol

I installed BIAB to run from the USB drive. It renders .wav tracks in two or three seconds.

Things are a good bit faster than with the i7 in the old machine. I have not started to try to optimize everything yet.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 04:05 PM
That's like the wild west: wide open spaces, room to breathe! Good ventilation possible, so I'm actually serious. Nice.

I don't know about your Windows skills, but the days of my tweaking the daylights out of my Windows are over. No need for Black Viper. For Windows 10, I just fix the power settings and USB so they are 100% and nothing turns off. That's about it. Run the DPC Latency Checker to make sure no unwanted drivers mess with your audio (see my post in Off-Topic earlier today).
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 04:55 PM
With nothing to suggest scale, it looks like something out of an old science fiction movie. I can imagine a couple of little guys walking through the gap on the bottom (about as tall as the letters in the word gold) with hard hats and a clip board in hand. Oh and a little steam coming out of one of the cables.

smile

Nice work Billy!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
That's like the wild west: wide open spaces, room to breathe! Good ventilation possible, so I'm actually serious. Nice.

I don't know about your Windows skills, but the days of my tweaking the daylights out of my Windows are over. No need for Black Viper. For Windows 10, I just fix the power settings and USB so they are 100% and nothing turns off. That's about it. Run the DPC Latency Checker to make sure no unwanted drivers mess with your audio (see my post in Off-Topic earlier today).

The case is pretty big. It looks like the cooling, two fans in front, one in back, and one on top for the water cooler is keeping everything cool without running the fans at high speed.
I will check out your post.

Thanks,

Billy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 05:49 PM
That looks like the matter-anti matter control module on the Enterprise!

Looks great Billy. I am very jealous!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 06:07 PM
The old machine is over ten years old and still running. The good news is the new machine cost about half of what the old one cost and is considerably more advanced.

It also strikes me as looking like something out of science fiction movie. We live in a very strange world with homeless people living on the street and others driving robotic cars around on mars.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 07:58 PM
Once you passed the smoke test you were fine. This is usually a good time to make decisions on what software you can live without.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/09/20 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
With nothing to suggest scale, it looks like something out of an old science fiction movie. I can imagine a couple of little guys walking through the gap on the bottom (about as tall as the letters in the word gold) with hard hats and a clip board in hand. Oh and a little steam coming out of one of the cables.

I zoomed in a little Notes, and you were right.

Posted By: sslechta Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 04:34 PM
Billy, had my machine outside today to do the twice yearly leaf blower dusting of the inside (Matt sez not to hit the fans with too much force). I took a few photos of the inside and outside of the machine.....

Basic specs:
128 GB RAM
(2) Intel Xeon Platinum 8153 CPUs @ 2 GHz each, 16 cores each processor for 32 cores total, 64 cores including logical.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics card - Barely wedged that in the case.
C:\ 1TB SSD - Operating System & Apps
D:\ 2TB HDD - Media Storage
E:\ 250GB SSD - Working drive for music/video projects
1400 Watt Power Supply

Attached picture 20201210_110501b.jpg
Attached picture 20201210_110624b.jpg
Attached picture 20201210_110842b.jpg
Attached picture 20201210_114419b.jpg
Attached picture 20201210_114535b.jpg
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 05:03 PM
Leaf blower? They don't sell canned air in St Louis? You could fly your drone into store to see who has it in stock! Geeze you work in IT. Steal a can from work!

Actually I use a vacuum cleaner with a wide snorkel first. I'd rather suck the dirt out than blow it into my own face. Then the canned air. I do have an air compressor but I wouldn't shoot 90 psi into a computer case.

I DO enjoy spinning the fans up with the air and making the "whoop whoop WHOOOO" noise like in the cartoons when somebody slips on the ice.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Leaf blower? They don't sell canned air in St Louis?

I'm too hoosier for canned air and the leaf blower works awesome. That's why I take it outside too, blow that dust away.

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I DO enjoy spinning the fans up with the air and making the "whoop whoop WHOOOO" noise like in the cartoons when somebody slips on the ice.

LOL, that's exactly what it sounds like.
Posted By: rharv Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 07:49 PM
Planobilly,
I use a very similar ROG Strix motherboard and am very happy with it.
I hope yours works out much the same for you. I suspect it will.

Great throughput & plenty of connections from USB to SATA (what more do you need from MB?).

Yours looks cooler than mine.
You gonna add the extra lights and such? I didn't, but it was tempting.
For some reason your cables look much neater than mine too, though I tried.

Did you get the little door hanger thingy with the motherboard?
Working from home more, this has actually come in handy here!

'Game On .. Do Not Enter'
If I'm in a meeting where I can't be interrupted it works a treat <grin>

/TBH sometimes I have used it even when I'm not in a meeting, but don't tell the wife
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 08:06 PM
Steve, I see your leaf blower is limited to 1,400 watts. Says so right in the box.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 08:32 PM
To wit:

Whoop whoop whoop WHOOOOO
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 11:35 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Planobilly,
I use a very similar ROG Strix motherboard and am very happy with it.
I hope yours works out much the same for you. I suspect it will.

Great throughput & plenty of connections from USB to SATA (what more do you need from MB?).

Yours looks cooler than mine.
You gonna add the extra lights and such? I didn't, but it was tempting.
For some reason your cables look much neater than mine too, though I tried.

Did you get the little door hanger thingy with the motherboard?
Working from home more, this has actually come in handy here!

'Game On .. Do Not Enter'
If I'm in a meeting where I can't be interrupted it works a treat <grin>

/TBH sometimes I have used it even when I'm not in a meeting, but don't tell the wife

LOL, I got the door hanger but that will not slow down my wife...lol
There are some LEDs that came on the board and a clear window to see through on my case.

I don't know, having all those flashing LEDs does not do much for me. I don't even put up Christmas lights any longer...lol I use to when I lived in Texas, but you have to leave them up all year to be an official redneck...lol

I did not go to any great effort to make the wiring look neat. I just tie wrapped things a bit. This case has a door on the bottom side of the motherboard so some wire is there. The case is bigger than I really needed but easy to work on.

So far so good on the new system.

Billy
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 11:44 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Billy, had my machine outside today to do the twice yearly leaf blower dusting of the inside (Matt sez not to hit the fans with too much force). I took a few photos of the inside and outside of the machine.....

Basic specs:
128 GB RAM
(2) Intel Xeon Platinum 8153 CPUs @ 2 GHz each, 16 cores each processor for 32 cores total, 64 cores including logical.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics card - Barely wedged that in the case.
C:\ 1TB SSD - Operating System & Apps
D:\ 2TB HDD - Media Storage
E:\ 250GB SSD - Working drive for music/video projects
1400 Watt Power Supply

This is a cool looking computer. Those are some serious heat sinks! I have no idea how long a Xeon CPU should run but a long time I assume. Lets hope so. Replacing one would be a bit pricy I assume.

Cool stuff
Billy
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/10/20 11:54 PM
LOL Eddie, there may be a job for you in DC. Certain people need better photographic proof for their ideas about stuff they say is happening...lol

Thanks Notes, you and Mario always have a cool artistic point of view!

Happy soon to be the end of 2020.

Billy
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/11/20 02:21 AM
Nice! I had almost that same water cooler on one of my rigs, but it wasn't quite enough to handle the 4930K I had in there. A more standard heatpipe style cooler worked great for me though.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/12/20 07:32 PM
Steve,

It's neat that you can use a PS2 keyboard and mouse if you desire. Saves from occupying two USB ports.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/12/20 07:38 PM
Jim, I actually do use a PS2 keyboard and all those USB ports on the back are being occupied. I guess I could get a PS2 mouse if I needed another use of a USB port on back.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/12/20 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Jim, I actually do use a PS2 keyboard and all those USB ports on the back are being occupied. I guess I could get a PS2 mouse if I needed another use of a USB port on back.

Why not just add a PCIE USB card? Or maybe a USB powered hub?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/12/20 10:54 PM
I can't believe you use wired peripherals in almost 2021.

And what do you have that occupies 8 USB ports?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/12/20 10:56 PM
Steve how old is that motherboard that it still has PS2 connectors? They've been gone for what, 10-12 years?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/12/20 11:58 PM
Eddie,

PS2 ports is not uncommon on Dell motherboards. The Dell I purchased new November, 2019 has the PS2 ports as a no cost option. A serial com port is also an option.

One main difference between what is available now versus ten years or so is all three ports are managed by one chip and the header is small.

Dell designs their motherboards to accommodate legacy devices. That's why their desktops remain competitive in business and educational settings. In most cases all you have to do to add one of these ports is purchase the rear card, plug the card into the motherboard header and enable the port in the motherboard settings.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/13/20 02:39 AM
Well...there is that little round green thing on the back of my new Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard...lol Asus does not support power on by USB keyboard. If you install a PS2 keyboard all that hidden information comes up in the BIOS and gives you the option to power on by keyboard.

PS2 keyboards have not been made for a long time but adapters are readily available.

I assume the real reason the PS2 connection is on a gaming motherboard in 2020 is because pro gamers prefer it. I assume because of the full N-Key Rollover Support. Also PS2 is a true hardware device and as such requires no driver. It will always work, when you boot a PS2 it lodes even before the BIOS does. Newer stuff is not always better.

There seems to be no end to the USB devices I need to plug in and for sure not everyone of them at the same time but...

USB Keyboard
USB Mouse
USB backup drive
USB SSD Drive
USB Interface PreSonus
USB interface Native Instruments
USB Piano/Midi Controller
USB Midi to USB Converter
USB Drum Pad
USB Floppy Drive
USB CD Player
USB Connection from my cell phone
USB Digital camera connection
USB Webcam
USB microphone
USB BAnd In A Box Drive
USB Whatever I forgot...lol

The only thing that outnumbers the USB thing is wall warts...OMG...I must have a box of over one hundred of them...lol

The insanity of that is for every one of those little black power supplies in that box, came an electric widget that I paid good money for that quit working. $700 cell phone comes to mind...not funny

Stay safe guys,

Billy
Posted By: sslechta Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/13/20 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
If you install a PS2 keyboard all that hidden information comes up in the BIOS and gives you the option to power on by keyboard.

Also, having the PS2 keyboard is faster to respond on boot compared to USB, especially when hitting the key to get into BIOS. USB devices take a few seconds to kick on.

I assume the real reason the PS2 connection is on a gaming motherboard in 2020 is because pro gamers prefer it. It will always work, when you boot a PS2 it lodes even before the BIOS does. Newer stuff is not always better.

Truth!

PS2 keyboards have not been made for a long time but adapters are readily available.

Not Truth! LOL... Because of the popularity you refer to above, adapterless PS2 keyboards are readily available. I got one of the old school, loud clacker PS2 gaming keyboards from Microcenter.

As far as the 6 USB ports on the back of my machine, a lot of them are for flight sim stuff:
- Mouse
- UPS Backup
- Gaming Headphones/Mic
- Flight Stick
- Track IR - Infrared Receiver (Head Movement Tracking System)
- Track IR - Headset Transmitter
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/13/20 04:27 PM
I stand corrected Steve. I have not tried to buy one as none of my older computers have a PS2 port.In looking around I see there is even a wireless PS2 keyboard for sale.

I really never thought about it much until this discussion came up. I saw the PS2 connection on my new motherboard. I did not buy the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard to play games. I got a super deal of $200 for the board and assumed it would be good for video.

I have three or four wireless USB keyboards. I don't like any of them. I have a backlit wired USb keyboard I like and use.

I never really use a typewriter much so I never got use to that type of keyboard feel. I did use something called a VariTyper a little which I suppose could have had that " loud clacker" sort of feel. I never much liked any of the keyboards until I got the one I am using a few years back.

I think there must be a very long list of possible USB devices. They also seem to work well.

I still have one computer running Linux that has a floppy drive and a piano that has a floppy drive. I have a lot of CNC programs on floppy drive that I have never taken the time to copy off to something else. Actually that computer may have a PS2 keyboard...don't remember.

Billy
Posted By: rharv Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/13/20 05:00 PM
FWIW, CNC files on floppy seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
I'd get them to a hard disk yesterday, unless they don't mean anything to you.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/13/20 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
FWIW, CNC files on floppy seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
I'd get them to a hard disk yesterday, unless they don't mean anything to you.

They are not high on the list of stuff I need to be concerned about.
Posted By: bobbyt9999 Re: Photo of the new computer - 12/13/20 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
That looks like the matter-anti matter control module on the Enterprise!

We are the Borg... grin

Nice looking machine... I'm jealous!!!
Posted By: DonCallis Re: Photo of the new computer - 08/26/21 07:27 PM
Thank you for sharing the detailed instructions. I didn't even think that they would make a separate tutorial for this. At least this causes respect for these guys. It often happens that they think that people should figure it out for themselves. And maybe it really works for experienced users. But they should know that not all users are so experienced in this area. I had to play around with photo resolution to make everything work out the way I wanted. Initially, it was too blurry and I had to look for a better image. It's good that people on the forums always help. Thank you again!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Photo of the new computer - 08/26/21 10:00 PM
I'm saving my money for this one.

Posted By: Planobilly Re: Photo of the new computer - 08/26/21 10:22 PM
Don't worry Eddie, the money will be there soon. I am working on rigging the Ohio lottery. I will send you the winning number.

Billy
© PG Music Forums