PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle RIP Tony Rice - 12/26/20 10:08 PM
+++ David Anthony Rice +++ (born June 8, 1951 - December 25, 2020) was an American guitarist and bluegrass musician. He was an influential acoustic guitar player in bluegrass, progressive bluegrass, newgrass and flattop acoustic jazz. He was inducted into the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame in 2013.

+++ This +++ is a Facebook post by musician / singer Ricky Skaggs.

Finally, Tony Rice lived in Reidsville, NC which is just a few miles from where I live.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: RIP Tony Rice - 12/27/20 12:10 AM
This is very sad news. Tony has been my favorite guitarist for the past 40 years.

His playing inspired me to take up bluegrass guitar. He will be missed but his music will live on.

RIP Tony Rice
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: RIP Tony Rice - 12/27/20 10:12 AM
Man, I hate to hear that. So much great guitar over so many years.
He brought us bluegrassers a deep appreciation of different genres and in particular the more jazzy collabs with David Grisman, aka Dawg Music.

RIP Tony.

J&B
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: RIP Tony Rice - 12/30/20 04:38 PM
I've been moved by all of the tributes to Tony Rice online. They range from bluegrass, jazz, country, blues, rock and even pop.

Tony redefined what the acoustic guitar is capable of producing and we all are better for it. Regardless of genre!

Edit: I'm kind of surprised at the lack of response on the forums about Tony's death. After all, he wasn't just a bluegrass guitarist, ... he was a master musician on his chosen instrument.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: RIP Tony Rice - 12/30/20 04:55 PM
Tony Rice was something else.
'nuff said
© PG Music Forums