PG Music Home
Tony Rice Wasn’t Happy About the State of Modern Country. At All.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/tony-rice-wasnt-happy-about-the-state-of-modern-country-at-all/
I can't whole-heartedly say that the days of the music industry dictating what music reaches the ears of the world have ended. But whereas in times past the record companies provided the ONLY access to music exposure, the internet has at least provided an alternative way for artists to get their music heard.

Regarding Tony's observation that "John and Jane Doe will buy anything if you keep pushing it at them", that's still true in the context of internet savvy entrepreneurs who are persistent at finding ways to promote their music. There is no music that doesn't have an audience, there is only music that has not yet reached its audience's ears.
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
"John and Jane Doe will buy anything if you keep pushing it at them", that's still true in the context of internet savvy entrepreneurs who are persistent at finding ways to promote their music.

That has nothing to do with music, really, just consumerism in general. People bought pet rocks for god's sake. Pick your consumer item. Chinese food. iPhones. Fords. Epiphone guitars. Nike shoes. Asparagus.

Just because he didn't like something shouldn't tarnish the opinion to buy what we like. Maybe he didn't like it because the game as he knew it passed him by and he was no longer all that relevant, much like old school QBs don't like Jackson and Murray as QBs because they play a mobility based game those old guard QBs could not have played. Just because someone doesn't like it and expects some cult-like following to do what he says doesn't mean anything. I don't buy or not buy something based on someone else's opinion. How many times in his 125 years in music did Chuck Berry play "that" solo? But oh yeah, he was SO great.... I opened for him once. He was far from great. By then he wasn't even really very good.

To be frank about it, and I will clean it up for the auto censor, I couldn't give half a fuzzy northbound end of a flying southbound rodent what that old man thought. And yes, I'll call him old, as he was 19 days older than I am!!!

Talk about being controlled by media and what the masses dictate to us. Because THIS guy says something I am supposed to agree with it? I don't care how great a player he was (he was) or what his fans say. His opinion is only his, is it not?

Take a good listen to some of the guitar gods that have been given that reputation just because the media gave it to them. Please give a listen to this youtube clip as "guitar gods" Keith Richards and that little midget from AC/DC play Rock Me Baby. Find me anything n that clip that makes them any better than people we have HERE. Outside of reputation, they play the same fixed position nonsense over and over and do it with some bombastic stage antics like all that silly stomping back and forth. AC/DC was HORRIBLE from day 1. Screaming instead of singing, and nonsense vanilla Chuck Berry based guitar licks. But the media told us those Young brothers were good, so apparently we had to believe it.

That same concept applies here.
Bur they all got paid well for being horrible, so they didn't care.

Who here wouldn't want to be in their position?

And

"John and Jane Doe will buy anything if you keep pushing it at them"

Ain't that so true!
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Bur they all got paid well for being horrible, so they didn't care.

Money's not the way I keep score.
© PG Music Forums