PG Music Home
Posted By: Frank Alves Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 02:33 PM
PG Music used to offer a program called Slow Blast that is no longer supported past Windows 7. Is anyone familiar with a similar program that I might use for slowing down recorded guitar solos, etc.?

Thanks!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 03:09 PM
If it's audio files, any DAW will usually be able to do this function by changing the time/speed while preserving the pitch. Because of that there would probably be few standalone programs just for doing that. Download.com may have some utilities.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 03:11 PM
Maybe some of these might help:

https://windowsreport.com/audio-slow-down-software/

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/freeware/SLOW_DOWN_MUSIC/#:~:text=Slow%20Down%20Music,%20Free%20%20%20%20Software,%20%201%20%205%20more%20rows

Note that I have no experience with any of these products.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 05:19 PM
I use Transcribe!, although it is not cheap. www.seventhstring.com
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 06:12 PM
I own and use Transcribe and Anytune Pro.
Both have Mac Versions and IOS Version.
Not sure of the Win and or Android world.

I find Anytune pro has a additional features I like that Transcribe does not.
Both slow down, alter key, loop, etc.
Anytune adds to that a lot of performance, set list, eq, features that I use for rehearsal and performing (whenever that happens again).

I have used a bluetooth pedal with Anytune for transcribing.
If you do a lot of this work, that feature is a nice to have.

Anyway, for simple copping guitar solos, either works fine.
Posted By: Joe V Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 06:13 PM
I've used Amazing Slow Downer for years - and now I use Transcribe - they are game changers (and don't say that's cheating )

I like that transcribe saves bookmarks -my old version of Amazing Slow downer did not do that (across sessions) - but I think that's an important feature.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 07:10 PM
I just went to look at Anytune Pro and alas, it is Mac and iOS only.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 07:56 PM
I bought Anytune Pro for iOS (iPhone and iPad). I really like it. It works with fewer artifacts than other programs I have that are more expensive.

You can try Anytune for free in the App Store.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/19/21 08:38 PM
yes Riffstation is brilliant for doing this as well as working out chords and learning songs.

I have uploaded it to google drive since it is now free, but try my second post link as it is probably the free one, but not the first one which probably is paid, I think Jim Fogle put up a link too.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=622962&Searchpage=1&Main=86350&Words=riffstation&Search=true#Post622962
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/20/21 12:33 PM
Matt,
Anytune also has a few in-app purchases available.
I added the midi/bluetooth feature. I think it was $5.
There may have been another to add high quality audio
That's a no brainer.

I've been using it for 3 years now, especially for gigging with backing tracks.
Its pretty solid piece of code.
The developer responds directly to queries, and keeps the feature set focused so its not all things to all people.

For transcribing and rehearsal/gigging, its hard to beat.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/20/21 12:52 PM
Oh yes, you already convinced me and I bought it.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/21/21 09:59 AM
I agree on those 2 programs. Been using and testing for decades now and Amazing Slowdowner and Transcribe seem to have the best algorithms.

The real test of these types of programs is not how they can slow down to 80% of normal but how well they slow down to 30-40%. Most of what I have seen sound like garbage at that extreme level of modification but A.S.D and Transcribe seem to do it very well. To my ears, A.S.D seems to beat out Transcribe but A.S.D will not slow down Video whereas Transcribe will slow down video. You would need an addition program called Gstreamer to help Transcribe do it in the background but that add-in is free from Seventh String Software.

To this day, I still use them both.

As a sidebar, the slowdown settings that YouTube gives you when listening to or watching YouTube streams is absolute garbage compared to anything else.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: Slow Blast Alternative - 01/21/21 02:12 PM
Great information.

Thanks to all!
© PG Music Forums