PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 12:29 AM
And I really need to stop this!!! Harley Benton thinline.

Posted By: Planobilly Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 12:57 AM
Cool looking guitar Eddie.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 01:11 AM
Should have it in a few days. The demos on the web page sound good, but that was someone WAY better than me playing it. Other folks here have said they are decent, so I took a flyer. Can't take even a dime with me when I go so I may as well have t he toys I want now, right?
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 11:07 AM
That's a nice looking guitar. HNGD!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 11:47 AM
That is one sweet looking guitar. When you get it record something with it so I can hear what it sounds like.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 12:20 PM
Wow! That is nice looking...really nice. Good choice there Eddie but sure to let us all now how it plays and sounds.

Jeff
Posted By: sslechta Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 12:26 PM
Nice guitar sir! Was this the need you had for a slimmer guitar to fit over your belly? I remember some words about that a while back.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 12:57 PM
Yep. The Applause round back I had did not work well with my round front.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 01:11 PM
Nice looking guitar Eddie, the CL Nashville-Nylon NT, did look it up as tempted myself.

Does say on reviews that it does need to be plugged in, as more like a solid body.

Seems great value for money.

Enjoy.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

As Roy Clark used to say it Pooks out in the same place he did, speaking of his Ovation 12 string that he would play sometimes, Maleguena.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Nice looking guitar Eddie, the CL Nashville-Nylon NT, did look it up as tempted myself.

Does say on reviews that it does need to be plugged in, as more like a solid body.

Seems great value for money.

Enjoy.

Yes it is solid and makes very little sound acoustically. Loud enough to practice quietly with if need be. Watched several review videos and it sounds quite nice. Good strings and good amp wouldn't hurt it I am sure.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: musiclover

I don't see any sound holes so I won't know until I get it. I can't imagine it "must" be plugged in...
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/11/21 03:24 PM
Similar to the old Gibson Chet Atkins CEC models before they changed them to be more like the Kirk Sands model that inspired them. Can't beat the price around $250 plus shipping and case if you want one.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/12/21 10:39 AM

when will somebody make a guitar with a CONCAVE back to fit the pot-bellied older men who play guitar??

Or a non-skid surface on the bottom so it doesn't slide off the leg while playing?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/12/21 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

when will somebody make a guitar with a CONCAVE back to fit the pot-bellied older men who play guitar??

Or a non-skid surface on the bottom so it doesn't slide off the leg while playing?

A guitar foot rest can really help:

https://www.amazon.com/guitar-foot-rest/s?k=guitar+foot+rest

This along with a guitar strap can really help!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/12/21 11:54 AM

I'll take one, please!

Quote:

I bought 1 inch wide non-skid strips for my dog's ramp. They would work and the adhesive would not (get THIS pun) marr your guitar.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/12/21 12:31 PM
pretty pretty pretty HB guitar.
love that HB pic.
heres a cheap pretty one i like. 279 $
anyone know if its any good ?
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL55-Tele-Body-G-Scale-Neck-GFTrons-Aged-Butterscotch-Maple-Fingerboard-_p_40009.html
whats neat is you can swap pikups , called kwikplugs !
best
muso
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/12/21 04:08 PM
And I really need to stop this!!! Harley Benton thinline.

Stop? No way! We all need more guitars!

I for one would LOVE a concave-backed acoustic guitar.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/13/21 09:25 AM
Tracking shows he is in the USA and clearing customs. I hope if they included desiccant packs they were REALLY desiccant packs and nothing funny to be snorted later...
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/13/21 04:38 PM
I am thinking that I might discuss with a local luthier we have here (REALLY good!) cutting those inlays out and turning them into sound holes. He'd put a camera inside and look at the construction before we even really talk about it. If it would include cutting tone bars, forget it. It may sound great as is and if it requires being plugged in, so be it. God invented wireless for a reason...
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/14/21 06:00 PM
Wow, Eddie! Based upon your review you might just very well sell another. I love the looks of this guitar man.

Keep us posted, please.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/14/21 06:24 PM
It will arrive Monday!! Depending on how my 1st Covid shot affects my arm, I should be strumming it tomorrow evening! I will do a little rendition of something I like to call "64 Bars Of Stumbling Around In C", enough for you to get a feel for the sound possibilities.

I went back to their web page to order a t-shirt, but the shirt is 7 bucks and the shipping is 28!

Um....no.

Maybe next month. I wanted to buy 3 of them, 1 for me and 2 to give away to people I know would appreciate them.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/15/21 01:07 AM
Harley Benton Nashville Nylon (feat. Dr. Hugo Nogueira)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKIyLWQlfo&list=PL3r_j6sKne0dNTm6_B32seiHyM5lXR7RU&index=26
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/15/21 03:26 PM
Well, according to Google maps, "Woody" is 1600 ft from my house. However, that is as the crow flies. My driver has 3 more streets between me and her. And with my Covid shot at 3, there isn't going to be time for the "warming up from the cold truck before opening" phase before I go. Then I have to remember how to play the guitar, and I'll do a short 2 minute or so demo of the sound. Probably see it tomorrow.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/15/21 07:23 PM
Okay so when I got home from my first Covid shot the box was on the back porch. I let it sit for about 2 hours to get to room temperature gradually.

Aesthetically this thing is beautiful. What looks like inlays top and bottom are actually recesses with textured plastic in the recesses. I haven't plugged it up yet but at first blush this guitar will be a bit of a challenge for me. I have very strong, thick hands but relatively short fingers, and the neck on this thing is a bit thick for my hands. I will adapt as I get used to it, and there isn't even a strap on it yet so I was also supporting it with my fretting hand as I strummed chords for 5 minutes. The body is thin enough that I will be able to reach it, and it really is gorgeous to look at. The analogy here is that 3.0 was also really good looking, and we know how THAT worked out... More tomorrow.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/16/21 12:08 PM
Think you will get used to the thicker neck since it really is a classical neck after all.

I have an old Yamaha classical guitar with that kind of neck, lay for years with strings missing, adjusted the action and re-strung last year, I still only noodle around on it, but the thicker neck grows on you and you actually begin to like it after a while, as it provides a nice balance with the wider fingerboard which you will begin to like too.

Mind you the first few times you try it, it will seem so strange but a little practice often works wonders.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/16/21 12:55 PM
I played it a little bit this morning. The first takeaway is that this thing is so solid and heavy it feels like a cinder block with a neck on it. Step 1 is going to be changing the strings. These are so thick they feel like baling wire! They feel like they must be 11s. I like the tone unamplified. I am going to try and get it upstairs and play it amplified today.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/16/21 01:15 PM
I played it a little bit this morning. The first takeaway is that this thing is so solid and heavy it feels like a cinder block with a neck on it. Step 1 is going to be changing the strings. These are so thick they feel like baling wire! They feel like they must be 11s. I like the tone unamplified. I am going to try and get it upstairs and play it amplified today.

FYI - I put these fold nylon strings on my nylon string guitar:

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-BEB031W-Guitar-Single-String/dp/B000OR4SM0/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=nylon+folk+guitar+strings&qid=1613491831&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-18

Ball ended nylon strings come in a variety of gauges.

These are much easier to string! I know the purist say this is cheating but I'm not a purist.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/17/21 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
... I'm not a purist.
Yep. You're even worse! You're a musician! smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/17/21 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Originally Posted By: MarioD
... I'm not a purist.
Yep. You're even worse! You're a musician! smile

That is the same thing my future father-in-law said the first time I met him wink grin
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh well, I did it.... - 02/17/21 05:46 PM
I just tried to print what my ex Marine Drill Sgt future father in law said and the automated censor turned it the whole post into asterisks... I remember it being liberally seasoned with "no way in H-E-double hockey sticks", but that was over 40 years ago too, so...
© PG Music Forums