PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 10:17 AM
The above doc is currently available on Amazon Prime and perhaps other platforms. It covers ways the streaming paradigm has affected big recording studios. Those interviewed express the gamut of opinions from bitterness to acceptance.

The doc will not please all and has its weaknesses but we found it well worth the watch.

J&B
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 03:11 PM
Where's the link?
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 03:21 PM

It’s on Amazon Prime. I can't link to it if you aren't a user so this was just a heads up.

Bud

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 03:27 PM
Appreciate the heads up Bud.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 03:52 PM
Bud was it you who posted a book about music publishing a few months back? I can describe it by the quote that said something like "If you say 'I want to sell a song' you are doing it wrong. I tried to find it in a search but the search here is so boolean and literal that if you use the word "and" in the string it finds every post with "and" in it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 03:54 PM
Eddie, not guilty smile

Seems like I remember it also.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 05:42 PM
Whoever it was please repost that. I want to get that book.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Recording In Progress - 04/07/21 08:49 PM
Here you go..... there's a trailer you can watch without the membership..... If you don't have Prime, it's rentable.

Amazon Prime - Recording In Progress Documentary
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recording In Progress - 04/08/21 11:29 AM
I'll wait until it's free.... uhhh, does that mean I'm part of the problem?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Recording In Progress - 04/08/21 10:00 PM
Found the book!!!

"All You Need To Know About The Music Business" by Donald Passman.

The post was in the songwriting forum by Roger Brown.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=636496#Post636496
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Recording In Progress - 04/08/21 11:51 PM
Nice find... I will watch it during the weekend. -Thanks!
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Recording In Progress - 04/09/21 06:32 AM
I watched it. I wasn't that impressed.

Not everyone is ready for a recording studio. I am one of those people. Software gives the rest of us the chance at recording something.

With BIAB, RB and PreSonus Studio One I have the opportunity to grow without a huge budget hit. I place my videos/audios on YouTube, Twitter, Soundcloud, and Facebook. A couple of likes is fine with me.

On the other hand, for those of you who play fantastically you have a choice -- expensive time in a studio or mixing something with the DAW of your choice. Whatever your budget and desire will be.

...Deb
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Recording In Progress - 04/09/21 03:03 PM
To me the notion was not that everybody needed a recording studio. I saw it as a presentation of the perspective of studio engineers and producers who are trying to adapt to the new paradigm of so many musicians not needing/wanting a big studio. FWIW!!

Bud
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recording In Progress - 04/09/21 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
To me the notion was not that everybody needed a recording studio. I saw it as a presentation of the perspective of studio engineers and producers who are trying to adapt to the new paradigm of so many musicians not needing/wanting a big studio. FWIW!!

Bud

I don't think the big recording studios are ready to go the way of the buggy whip companies when the automobile came along, just yet.... but the advent of home studios and low cost gear, and software that allows one to produce broadcast ready music has certainly moved the overton window a fair distance.

When you compare the quality of the big studios to what someone can now do in a corner of their bedroom.... it's certainly a game changer. Every band and songwriter used to have no other choice. But that has changed.
© PG Music Forums