PG Music Home
I don' even know how to move it around must less solder it...lol

This is a 0402 size resistor.

Here it is at around x900 with a digital microscope.

I assume someone somewhere could remove and replace this part. My hand shakes more than the diameter of the part even if I clamp my hand in a vice...lol

Billy
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

I don' even know how to move it around must less solder it...lol, This is a 0402 size resistor.

Ha....I hear you.

I was in sales for many years at a distributor selling capacitors/resisters.
A pepper grain seems bigger than the 0402.
I doubt I could even see the 0201 device. smile

Have a great day....
You solder the black part to the red part.
with a really small torch ..
Well...it is not easy but I did it and they all read 1K like they should. Perhaps not perfect straight but good enough for a government job...lol

Standard soldering iron, small tip, 2331-zx Kester Flux-Pin, 0.4mm Kester 63/37 solder, isopropyl alcohol to clean the board first. Pretty much zero room for mistakes.

So this can be done by anyone if I can do it!

Billy
I do 0402's from time to time, but I don't like it! And I'm a "young" (36) guy with good eyesight and hands too! Thankfully it's only my brain and my back that are knackered.

Everything I design or build these days is through hole, 1/8 watt resistor or bigger. I'll leave 0402 stuff to the machines.
That is a good idea Simon. 0402 is pretty tiny to solder by hand. Not much bigger than what comes out of the pepper shaker.

I could have never have done that without a digital microscope. I think there will be plenty of through hole left in my life time. Not so sure about someone who is 36. More and more op-amps and ICs are going to SMD everyday.

One day in the future a discrete JFET from Fairchild will be like trying to buy a
RCA 12AX7 Black Screen today...lol

Actually tube stuff is easer to deal with today than finding some solid state parts for high end 1970s stereo equipment.

Also a lot of stupid re-caping goes on. Stereo receivers use caps to control the frequency displayed on the dial. A lot of stuff gets wrecked by DIY guys.

Billy
That is a good idea Simon. 0402 is pretty tiny to solder by hand. Not much bigger than what comes out of the pepper shaker.

I could have never have done that without a digital microscope. I think there will be plenty of through hole left in my life time. Not so sure about someone who is 36. More and more op-amps and ICs are going to SMD everyday.

SMD chips don't bother me much - drag solder tends to work well on those, especially with the right iron tip. I use a Hakko FX-951 with a T15K tip and with
a good flux and 63/37 solder it works great!

One day in the future a discrete JFET from Fairchild will be like trying to buy a
RCA 12AX7 Black Screen today...lol

That's why I bought a bag of a couple hundred J112/J113 Jfets not long ago, they're still available and work reasonably well.

Actually tube stuff is easer to deal with today than finding some solid state parts for high end 1970s stereo equipment.

Yep, tube stuff is fairly easy, once you get past the danger of sticking your hand in and around 500-odd volts or more.

Also a lot of stupid re-caping goes on. Stereo receivers use caps to control the frequency displayed on the dial. A lot of stuff gets wrecked by DIY guys.

Billy

Those DIY guys keep me busy at least!
© PG Music Forums