PG Music Home
David Bennett Piano explains:

I like the Faul version versus the Paul version. grin
Friends don't let friends sing G on 1 & 3.
I have played it either wrong or right depending on which version you prefer.
I learned it off the record and I though the first three notes were the same. It was more about Paul's voice than the notes I played on guitar. Later when I started playing the piano and reading music I just though the written music was a mistake.

It never occurred to me that Paul was singing in the cracks...lol

Bending notes around vocally is common, as it is on guitar.

When I got to the Melodyne example my eyes rolled back and I went back to my Texas Instruments calculator solving trig questions that are just as useless but more interesting...lol

I need to send you a electronics circuit to analyze. You obviously have too much time on your hands...lol

Billy
Actually the Melodyne example was most persuasive for me.
Hi Matt,

My reaction to Melodyne was more of a joke concerning our use of a complex piece of software to explain what is pretty clear when anyone who listens to the original record.

The reason people play the G note is because that how it got transcribed or how it may have been originally written but Paul sang the note off pitch.

Plus I have to poke Mr. Video Track every so often just to see if he is awake...lol

If you play the music as written and never listen to the original recording then it is not surprising one would play the G note.

There are advantages to being able to sight read and being able to play by ear.

So now the question becomes precisely how many cents off pitch is the note and should the string players bend the note and the acoustic piano players rest?...lol

I guess if Paul comes over to my house I could ask him what he would like me to play...lol

I am only writing this long response to distract myself from trying to find the error somewhere in the 900 lines of code I just finished writing...lol

Billy
Billy, I'm happy to provide you with a distraction while coding. I've been there.

My Melodyne comment was of course ironic because, had that existed, we would never have been given that indeterminate pitch to being with.

On an actual serious note, pun intended, the choice of G makes very good sense on one other level. I make money doing transcriptions. If I were asked to transcribe this, given that the G does appear very clearly in one verse, I might have assumed that was what was intended in all of them. When I do a lead sheet, I'm generally going for my best guess that works for all verses, because I'm not going to give someone a leadsheet with four verses where only this questionable note varies.
Now, what ELSE about that song was so unique?

Answer Sunday, unless somebody gets it.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I think it was considered a Beatles song, but Paul was the only Beatle to actually perform on the recording?
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I think it was considered a Beatles song, but Paul was the only Beatle to actually perform on the recording?

Nope.

Is it Sunday there yet? (It's nearly Monday here wink )

It was never released as a single.
Count the time in the measures, and the number of measures that make up a verse. It is 7 rather than the usual 8. And it works.
Count the time in the measures, and the number of measures that make up a verse. It is 7 rather than the usual 8. And it works.

Hmmm. No correct entries. So does that mean that you get to keep the prize money? grin
© PG Music Forums