PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Good God, does this never stop? - 07/16/21 04:41 PM
I am such a sucker for a new VST instrument. Case in point:

Kirk Hunter - Kinetic Strings

I have not been so excited about a new Sound Library since I purchased the Kontakt Komplete 13, a couple weeks ago! crazy I swore when I downloaded this, that I would cool it for a period. But this stuff has become my Achilles heel. Thank God, I have little else to spend my discretionary cash on.

This new offering from Kirk Hunter was release only yesterday and YouTube is filling up with demos. On sale now.

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/16/21 08:48 PM
Hey, VSTs only take disc space! I buy guitars and keyboards!
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/16/21 09:52 PM
Dang Dan, I thought Komplete 13 would keep you busy for a little more than 2 weeks!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/17/21 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Dang Dan, I thought Komplete 13 would keep you busy for a little more than 2 weeks!

Ya, you and me both! But Komplete did not have ostinato strings and who don't need them? grin
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/17/21 12:15 PM
Have to admit, that's pretty impressive. Got to go hear more!

Jeff
Posted By: DrDan Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/17/21 03:40 PM
Turns out the Sale price is "...for a couple days.." . So while I hate impluse buys, this did really sound nice to me and I have no other options to generate this type of sounds and I will not pay full price for any of this stuff. So it is mine.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/18/21 05:41 PM
The World’s Most Flexible Ostinato Pattern Strings

"..At the time of this publication, there does not exist another instrument that can let you play FOUR string sections (violins, violas, cellos and basses) at the SAME TIME. But with Kinetic, you get the entire string section in one instrument. That means you get a separate timeline for each section. Each timeline contains 64 note or rest events and can be divided into up to 4 "regions". And you can have each timeline play a different pattern whether you hold down a single note or chord!"

A bit pretentious and gaudy marketing hype. But this thing appears to deliver. I have had a blast working with it this morning. Here is what the pro's can do with it. The big question will be what can I do with it... crazy

Posted By: Tangmo Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/18/21 06:07 PM
I know what I can do with it--look on with envy and maybe make snide comments.

Have fun. Report back.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/18/21 06:22 PM
Some time back I bought Sonokinetic Ostinato Strings which I found simple to use and very handy not only for strings but also other instruments. With this Kontakt instrument is is easy to generate the Ostinato and export the various parts as separate individual MIDI tracks that can be applied to any other MIDI instrument. Very handy. Can this do the same?

Tony
Posted By: DrDan Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/18/21 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Can this do the same?

Tony

KEY FEATURES
The World’s Most Flexible Ostinato Pattern Strings
4 Strings Sections in ONE Instrument
Create Sophisticated Patterns with No Musical Theory Training Necessary
Intelligent String Motion Engine
Bring Motion to Strings With Unparalleled Ease
Powerful & Intuitive Design
Dynamic Randomization with Instant Results
A String Instrument Like No Other
Epic & Cinematic
Infinite Results
Instant String Rhythms
Midi Drag and Drop of all sections/tracks

Simeon does a pretty good sales job here. grin
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/19/21 02:17 PM
This is very impressive... Is it still on sale? I recently purchased NI Komplete Kontrol with the S49 Keyboard, and I sometimes feel somewhat overwhelmed.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/19/21 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
This is very impressive... Is it still on sale? I recently purchased NI Komplete Kontrol with the S49 Keyboard, and I sometimes feel somewhat overwhelmed.

Yes, still on sale for $99 versus the $149 full price. And regarding feeling overwhelmed... join the club. grin
Posted By: Paj Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/19/21 11:48 PM
A number of Kirk Hunter Libraries feature divisi approaches, so I'm not too surprised that this gets developed. On sale until 7/30. Previous customers get another $10 off (email coupon). Don't forget----requires the full, paid version of Kontakt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWgKbK9pCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc8RmpY343M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LWnXyLXrBE

Here's another one (Action Strings 2) that got a good review from somebody that uses and reviews a lot of string libraries---and it's a Kontakt Player library:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP5iD_Qf1SY

Paj
8^)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/20/21 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Some time back I bought Sonokinetic Ostinato Strings which I found simple to use and very handy not only for strings but also other instruments. With this Kontakt instrument is is easy to generate the Ostinato and export the various parts as separate individual MIDI tracks that can be applied to any other MIDI instrument. Very handy. Can this do the same?

Tony

Thanx for posting this. I have both Sonokinetic Ostinato string and brass programs but they didn't have the MIDI read feature. I got on-line and updated both.

This is a very easy process. In your DAW you have a BiaB chord track, that is any polyphonic track, assign its output to the Sonokinetic Ostinato track, play the BiaB track while recording it in the Ostinato track, then drag and drop the Ostinato track to your DAW. This puts each Ostinato note on a different MIDI track. Now you can assign different sounds to some or all of these tracks. Can Kirk Hunter's program do this?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Good God, does this never stop? - 07/20/21 10:58 AM
I think the answer is Yes?? But not exactly the same way, with different midi tracks assigned to the different instruments as you described.

Take a close look at the Simeon video which is shown above at ~8 to 12 minutes when he drags and drops the midi back into his daw and then uses another VST as the sound. Keep in mind Kinetic Strings creates 4 Strings Sections in ONE Instrument (track). So I assume you can selectively use the mutes to generate midi from any one section or perhaps just the key mapping alone will handle what is and is not played from the midi in the new VST.
© PG Music Forums