PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernard Rasson alternative country - 08/01/21 09:19 AM
anyone fan of "alternative country" such as Maria McKee, Cowboy Junkies, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris with Spyboy/Daniel Lanois ???
Posted By: RoyReddy Re: alternative country - 08/01/21 09:25 AM
I have worked on a Lucinda song for a while.
Kiss Like Your Kiss
I really liked the melody and the lyrical message. Also I thought it would let me sing with a raspy sound in my voice.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: alternative country - 08/01/21 12:06 PM
Growing up in Texas it would be pretty hard not to have listen to Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris. I have played what we call "Red Dirt" music which is alt country. Playing country music in Texas pays better than some other types of music.

I have seen Lucinda William live at Austin City Limits. She is very popular in Texas. I never really paid much attention to all the labels placed on country music so hearing people like Lucinda was never about liking something called "alt country". She and many others are just fantastically wonderful musicians.

I am older than most of you. I remember a time when I could go into a record store and know who most of the people who were recording were. That was also a time when we learned to copy someone by going to see them play live. Now there is hardly a song that exist that is not on youtube.

When I was a kid the only thing I had to listen to was radio. There was a lot of different types of music being broadcast so I got exposed to everything from Miles Davis to Tammy Wynette.

I have also been lucky enough to have seen live many of the icons of the music world. I missed Woodstock only because I was in Vietnam at the time.

Billy
Posted By: Bernard Rasson Re: alternative country - 08/02/21 07:05 AM
Hi Roy,
I don't know this song
but I know the great song "Essence" in which her voice is quite raspy, indeed
but she alson can be so sweet as in "Prove my love" and "Memphis pearl"
I love these songs very much
best regards,
Bernard
© PG Music Forums