PG Music Home
IF I wanted to post a cover for example of Jr, Walker and the All Stars 1965 recording of Cleo's Back here on This site or on youtube, what would the mechanical license cost. I understand a A synchronization license would also
be needed for a youtube video.

Anyone have any idea what it cost to do all this legally now days? What would I have to provide P G Music to post a cover song here?

Billy
Harry Fox agency will know... I'd start at the end of the horse where the mouth is. Not at the end WE are at!!!
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Harry Fox agency will know... I'd start at the end of the horse where the mouth is. Not at the end WE are at!!!

Hah... +1
Lol
I just wanted to see if others here had been down that road
At the horsepistal atm
Limited access
Lol I did not realize we were that close to the end of the food chain
The mechanical license for a cover is non-negotiable and compulsory. Harry Fox will collect a set amount of royalty depending how many many copies you are planning to make. 100 copies will cost less than 1000, but you won't need to do any detailed record-keeping unless you go over your stated amount. My cover of Bill Withers "Ain't No Sunshine" cost me about $40, I think. I never burned anywhere near the number of CD's I'd planned to, but if i recall correctly, that was about the lowest amount. The same number of copies of a Led Zeppelin or a Lennon-McCartney song will cost exactly the same amount.

Streaming? Haven't a clue.

Sync license? I don't know if you can get one through HFA. Those are NOT-compulsory and the rates are NOT statutory. That means the publisher can either accept or decline your wishes, and charge as much as he/she wants.

Technically, you might need a sync license for a you-tube video, but the law and its enforcement is really FUBAR, so proceed with the same ignorance most of us have.

________

If interested:

https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/orphans-freaks/aint-no-sunshine-cover

WoW, thanks Tangmo. Just the type of general info I was looking for. I know thousands of covers have been uploaded to youtube without any permission. Youtube took one of my songs down that I hold the copywrite/publishing to. You can also get five years in the federal system with a roommate named big tiny little junior, a cousin of bubba, for copywrite infringement...lol

I could have forced the issue but for what? Call my lawyer? Get all the paperwork together? Just because I introduced my lawyer to his bride and performed the marriage ceremony never got me any discounts...lol

The things we do. Cool vocal by the way....I know, I know. Just needed a reverb fade at the end lol

Billy
If you upload a video or streaming mp3, PG requests the license number in the post so they and everyone else knows you're doing it the right way.

Youtube will let you post whatever you want. However, they have ways to quickly figure out the song and if the artist lets people use it. Some do not and the Youtube scanners will quickly disable the video. If you are permitted and have not provided proof of a license, they will monetize the video by dropping ads before it and perhaps in the middle of it with all proceeds going to the copyright holder.
Thanks Herb,

It is really pretty complex what a license actually covers. As I understand it, youtube will close your account after the third take down.
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Thanks Herb,

It is really pretty complex what a license actually covers. As I understand it, youtube will close your account after the third take down.

So far.... I've only been monetized.
© PG Music Forums