PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Nanci Griffith died on 14 August - 08/23/21 05:51 PM
I just found out today. We were friends along with Eric Taylor who she was married to for a few years. Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Eric Taylor, and Nanci Griffith were all friends of mine. These were all people born in Texas. Townes was from Fort Worth but was a regular in Houston. He died in 1997 and was one year older than me.

Nanci was 68 when she died. I don't even know how I feel. Tears, sadness, living in a world that I grew up in that is rapidly disappearing. Nanci was born in Seguin, Texas, the same place my mother was killed in a car wreck when I was two years old.

Call your friends and say hello while you have the chance.

https://youtu.be/2GK462XnRjQ

Billy
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Nanci Griffith died on 14 August - 08/23/21 06:18 PM
Thanks for that report, Billy.

She was a frequent artist on Transatlantic Sessions with Jerry Douglas and Aly Bain. I didn't miss many episodes of that wonderful show.

There are several sessions available on YouTube. I doubt if the series will continue.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Nanci Griffith died on 14 August - 08/23/21 07:03 PM
Her song Trouble In The Fields is one that we covered and is one our all time favorlites. John Prine good.

RIP

Bud

PS We read about her passing last week - the family stated they would give the cause of death a week later.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Nanci Griffith died on 14 August - 08/23/21 07:40 PM
Nanci never said anything to me about her health. I think I remember Eric saying she had cancer. Eric uses to do a song called Moony. I have not ever seen a recording of it. Not sure it exists. That is where I got the idea for the song I posted about Moony in his later life.

"Moony's at the window, Moony's at the door, ever child in bed better cover your head, ask a favor of the lord"

I think I remember Nanci playing it also. Perhaps with Eric. Time is passing like water running over Nigra Falls. The hard drive in my head has some bad sectors, so I don't remember everything correctly at times.

The damn Covid killed John...these are some hard days we are living through.

Billy
© PG Music Forums