PG Music Home
Amazing tale I heard rumors about but never seen. +++ Here +++ is an American song list and +++ HERE +++ is a BBC song list. Note the BBC list is for all banned songs while the American list is for songs suggested not to play immediately after 9-11.

What do you think about censoring music?

When I was a radio announcer stations would receive promo 45s or albums with written notations of which songs were not suitable for airplay due to the lyrics. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) maintained a list of words that were considered coarse or vulgar.
Must have only been a temporary thing.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
What do you think about censoring music?

I hate censoring anything.
The existence of such a list isn't surprising, but some of the inclusions are wild. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"? Was Desmond supposed to be planning a barrow attack on the marketplace?
Some really surprising songs and artists in those lists. Maybe someone was being 'overly protective'?
W.A.P.

F.M.N.

(If unfamiliar, look up the lyrics - NSFW)

'nuff said

======

Top40 has become audio p0rn.

I have nothing against p0rn, but I think it belongs in its own classification, not where it puts real singers and musicians out of work.

I guess that's because I'm a musician and singer.

Notes
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Some really surprising songs and artists in those lists. Maybe someone was being 'overly protective'?

That would be "the snowflake mentality". The same reason why commercials now always have either a gay or interracial couple. Just to show we are so "aware" here in the by god US of A these days! I have nothing against either gay people or interracial couples, but what does that say about the way the country views Joe Average here in the by god US of A? That insults me in that it assumes and insinuates what my societal attitudes are.

Look at that list and think about what IS allowed.

Overcompensating in one direction doesn't overcome anything that has been in the past. By 2030 this country will be done for. But I'll be gone, so I don't care.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Remember, this was right after 9/11. Everyone was freaked out and prone to freaking out again at the slightest provocation. Clear Channel was trying to avoid getting too many calls from freaked out listeners. I guess the thought was, hey, we can listen any time to songs with lyrics about flying, or falling, or burning, for now there's plenty of other material to give people still in shock.

Kind of like not showing movies about airplane disasters to people watching on planes.

And it wasn't just radio. People were hypersensitive to anything that reminded them of what happened. Starbucks got called out for an ad featuring two cups of iced coffee side by side with the slogan "Collapse Into Cool". People were reminded of the towers, and found the language startling.

The company I worked for at the time was founded by the man who may have been the first to die aboard Flight 11. I remember there was a big hubbub internally to quick get an image of a plane off the company website's home page. That may sound silly today, but if you read the internal emails, it was a pretty emotional thing for those involved.
The BBC seems to believe that they know best, not just on music, but pretty much everything. Banning music always back fired and the track often went to number one despite not being played. These days the BBC seems to be the nanny state running its own agenda. News is now biased and no longer impartial.
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
The BBC seems to believe that they know best, not just on music, but pretty much everything. Banning music always back fired and the track often went to number one despite not being played. These days the BBC seems to be the nanny state running its own agenda. News is now biased and no longer impartial.

The Goodies knew how to beat that with their classic Pirate Radio Station.

© PG Music Forums