PG Music Home
The company figured it out.

This isn’t about BIAB but it is for another music software I use, Notion by Presonus. When I highlight something and press the Delete key, either one, nothing happens. The company says it should work and works for them.

I know, sounds crazy, right?

I’m waiting to try another keyboard. But can anyone think of some software that could cause this?

Full disclosure: I do try out utilities often, like clipboard management etc., and they may define hot keys, but to my knowledge I’ve uninstalled all of them.

Puzzle.
Never heard of this issue. Don't know if it may be related to inadvertently having Num-Lock or Scroll-Lock pressed? I guess you've restarted the computer and the issue remains?

Update: I just checked with a utility and the keycode for the Deelete Key didn't change regardless of other Lock functions. I seem to recall that the DEL code can be generated by the <Ctrl>+<BkSpace> combination. Worth a try?
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Ever heard of neither Delete key working? - 09/15/21 12:39 PM
Have you tried "Return To Factory Settings"? grin

Regards,

Bob
Thanks guys. I’m trying a utility now by Nirsoft. Trevor, what utility did yuh use?

Bob, that’s good advice for BIAB. This isn’t BIAB. But your suggestion does make an interesting point: does anyone know another program that allows you to wipe your preferences like BIAB does, and fails often enough that this is the solution?
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Thanks guys. I’m trying a utility now by Nirsoft. Trevor, what utility did you use?

I tried one I wrote myself, about 20 years ago. It just shows the keycode when a key (or combination) is pressed. Very basic. ASCII Uppercase A:

Attached picture 2021-09-16_2-01-40.jpg
According to NirSoft KeyboardState View, my Delete keys are both OK.

Delete key: Key code 46, Hex Code 0x2e

Weird.
Yes, I get 46 (hex 2E) also. I can't print it because the Print Screen key overrides it cry
Thanks again for checking. I've written back to support at Presonus. I think they are stumped but I'm convinced it's their code.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Ever heard of neither Delete key working? - 09/15/21 01:18 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the keyboard, re-booting then plugging the keyboard back in?

Regards,

Bob
Knowing your background, I would assume you have tried a reboot?
Or uninstall the keyboard driver and a reboot...

A couple of days ago, my speakers (through the standard mini plug) no longer worked. I could not find them listed in any of the speaker configuration screens. Just simply gone. The built-in speaker in my monitor had become the default speakers (I've never even tried them - this is a relatively new computer bought so I could finally run the 64-bit version of BIAB and upgrade my Studio One to version 5 - I had been stuck at version 2.6). Pretty sure it was a Windows update that caused it. A reboot brought the speakers back...

Have you tried the On-Screen keyboard to see if it would function?
Thanks again. Sure, I tried all the conventional stuff (except trying another keyboard; that's next). My Delete keys always work everywhere else, so I have to conclude it's some obscure coding problem in Presonus Notion, one of my music notation programs, and only on their Windows version not Mac. I just thought I would see here if anyone had heard of such a problem.
The company figured it out. They didn’t expect anyone to do what I was doing. I’ll mark this Resolved.

Thanks, everyone who assisted. Much appreciated.
So was it just that they did not have functionality built in to utilize the DEL key?
Originally Posted By: sslechta
So was it just that they did not have functionality built in to utilize the DEL key?
In a way. You can highlight with the left click, and press one of the Delete keys (the one under PrtSc) and it works. The other Delete key (on the keypad) doesn't work. But if you right click to highlight, neither key works. So I had a 75% chance of guessing wrong, and did so. On most other commands, right-clicking is the way to go. Bad design.
Glad that you got it sorted, and most importantly, that you were able to identify the cause.
© PG Music Forums