PG Music Home
Posted By: Frank Alves USB Interface - 09/15/21 12:27 PM
Apologies for hijacking a previous post regarding playing backing tracks.

A "sound guy" friend turned me on to a possible USB Interface that would connect from my android tablet to my Boze L1.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_838USBCDAC/Astell-Kern-USB-C-Dual-DAC-Cable.html?tp=59282

This would be used instead of coming out of the headphone jack directly into the Boze. It looks like a good portable solution.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 12:43 PM
While this may be superior quality to the onboard headphone jack in your tablet, I don’t like the solution because the output of this is still a 3.5 mm headphone jack. Those jacks can break, and even worse, give noise if jostled. Nothing like giving your audience the amplified version of that.

I suggest using a different input on the Bose. Get something that goes from USB on your tablet into TRS on the Bose.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 01:15 PM
Frank,

I would still recommend the same item i did in the other thread. USB input with two balanced XLR outputs, can be run in Stereo or Mono. $50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-3001370-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B004A4PSEU

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 01:38 PM
Thanks guys for the input.

90 db, your solution was my first thought. However, the Peavey's output is 2 XLR's. The only free inputs into the Boze are either 1/8 inch, RCA, or 1/4 inch. My XLR input on the Boze is currently in use. I guess I could go into a small mixture and then the Boze, but I'd like to keep things on stage as simple as possible.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 01:43 PM
No experience with the Peavey unit. Experience with 2 different PreSonus audio interfaces.

I use Extremesd's Audio Evolution Mobile DAW for Android. Runs great on my Samsung S10+. Also ran great on my old S7. Not expensive. Available from the Play Store. In your case, take a look at their USB Audio Player PRO and their USB high quality audio driver for Android. You'll need to buy a USB Audio Host OTG cable. That turns the Android device into the Master. I would highly recommend checking out PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 interface ($99.95 on Amazon). It comes with Studio One Artist v5 which now includes support for 3rd party VSTs (a $100 value). It's a really high quality interface that has been tested and verified to work. The USB Audio Player PRO and driver should cost you around $20 via the Play Store.

USB Audio Player PRO

USB Audio Driver

PreSonus AudioBox USB 96

AudioBox USB 96 on Amazon

OTG cable example

Good luck. Make music!

EDIT: Note that you'll probably need a powered USB hub, since most small audio interfaces are bus-powered.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Frank Alves
Thanks guys for the input.

90 db, your solution was my first thought. However, the Peavey's output is 2 XLR's. The only free inputs into the Boze are either 1/8 inch, RCA, or 1/4 inch. My XLR input on the Boze is currently in use. I guess I could go into a small mixture and then the Boze, but I'd like to keep things on stage as simple as possible.

That's easy. Run the Peavey in Mono and use one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XLR-FEMALE-STEREO-TRS-6-35mm-1-4-MALE-Audio-Adapter-/111868882525

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 02:10 PM
What did I miss? Peavey?

Could you please restate what is the output device, what is the input device, and what are the possible connections to each? Thanks.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 02:38 PM
Out is an android tablet (USB) into a Boze L1. Input choices on the Boze are either 1/8 inch, RCA, or 1/4 inch.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 02:42 PM
I have an XLR to 1/4 inch adapter.

90 db, what type of USB cable would you recommend from the tablet to the Peavey.

Really appreciate all your help.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 02:45 PM
Frank you have a private message.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 03:23 PM
Frank it isn't just making the innies and outies shake hands. There are issues of data speeds involved. Even finding some weird adapter is not going to replace the data stream speeds of a USB port. My suggestion is that you head to Dell, find a laptop in your budget, and not look back to the days of jury rigging. You don't need a ton of computing power and piles of RAM to play back music files.

Check this one out

300 bucks.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 04:17 PM
I have an XLR to 1/4 inch adapter.

90 db, what type of USB cable would you recommend from the tablet to the Peavey.

Really appreciate all your help.

You would need a cable with a USB Type B on one end and a standard USB Type A on the other end.

https://www.androidauthority.com/different-types-of-usb-cables-804432/

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/usb-a-to-b-cable

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
While this may be superior quality to the onboard headphone jack in your tablet, I don’t like the solution because the output of this is still a 3.5 mm headphone jack. Those jacks can break, and even worse, give noise if jostled. Nothing like giving your audience the amplified version of that.

2000 watts of CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH anytime you move something is not something anyone wants to hear. I agree that 3.5mm jacks have no business in stage equipment.

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I would still recommend the same item i did in the other thread. USB input with two balanced XLR outputs, can be run in Stereo or Mono. $50 bucks.

The Peavey unit looks like a solid suggestion. Haven't used it myself, but it at least looks durable enough for stage use. I would grab a couple XLR to RCA cables to connect it to the Bose.

Alternately, I use a Behringer UCA202 for similar purposes, though it's not what I'd call "stage-tough".

Attached File
xlr-rca.png  (1 downloads)
Attached picture uca202.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 04:20 PM
Whatever you decide, don’t use the 1/8” input on the Bose.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: USB Interface - 09/15/21 08:31 PM
Hey 90 db. It looks like I going to need a USB B (Peavey) to USB C (tablet) cable. I'll check Amazon.

Thanks
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: USB Interface - 09/16/21 10:55 AM
Still likely that you'll need an OTG cable. You can try it without one first. If it doesn't work, then buy the OTG cable. You may also need a powered USB hub if the Peavey is bus-powered.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: USB Interface - 09/16/21 01:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.

Looks like I'm going to go with the Peavey. USB from tablet to the unit and then XLR (mono) to 1/4 inch adapter in the Boze.

Per the specs power is provided by the USB connection.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: USB Interface - 09/16/21 04:17 PM
Per the specs power is provided by the USB connection.

If you have an existing audio interface, see if the tablet is able to power it. As TheMaartian mentioned, you may need a powered hub if the tablet is not able to provide enough power.
© PG Music Forums