PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Monitor driver question - 09/15/21 10:06 PM
First of all, my monitors work fine. However, the 2 newer ones insist on using the Microsoft universal pnp driver, and I want to use the dedicated HP driver. When I try to install them the system continues to default to the pnp. I have tried removing (uninstalling) one of them at a time and rebooting and when Windows detects the missing driver it goes right back to the upnp drivers. Between Steve, Harv and Matt we have some strong computer people here. Anybody have any ideas?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 02:24 AM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
First of all, my monitors work fine. However, the 2 newer ones insist on using the Microsoft universal pnp driver, and I want to use the dedicated HP driver. When I try to install them the system continues to default to the pnp. I have tried removing (uninstalling) one of them at a time and rebooting and when Windows detects the missing driver it goes right back to the upnp drivers. Between Steve, Harv and Matt we have some strong computer people here. Anybody have any ideas?

I think the trick here is to uninstall the driver that the monitors are using, then disconnect the monitors. Then install the HP driver with the monitors still disconnected.
The connect the monitors, and Windows should either give you option to manually search for drivers, or find the HP drivers.

We use that exact technique with other drivers where Windows wants to install its own driver if it cannot locate an existing driver. It may work for you also.

Start with Device Manager, right-click on the device and select Uninstall. You may be presented with an option to delete the driver also.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I think the trick here is to uninstall the driver that the monitors are using, then disconnect the monitors. Then install the HP driver with the monitors still disconnected.

And how do I see where to click with the monitor disconnected?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 09:54 AM

Finally, a situation well deserving of that crusty, cantankerous old man attitude. ...said with a big grin
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 11:06 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Finally, a situation well deserving of that a crusty, cantankerous old man attitude. ...said with a big grin

I prefer "well seasoned" or "crusty", but what you said is okay!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 04:34 PM

Eddie, I didn't follow.
You obviously have the monitors connected.
You uninstall the driver "then disconnect the monitors"

Or have I missed something?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 04:58 PM
Trev, if I uninstall the driver, do you then mean physically disconnect the monitors and then install the HP driver(s)? (All 3 monitors are the same model.) If they are disconnected, and if that's what you means let's use "unplugged", how do I see to put the new drivers in?

The way I am reading it, you are saying you will send me an email to tell me when email is back up and running. Or to get on the internet and download NIC drivers to fix my inability to connect to the internet.

Define "disconnect".
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 09:31 PM
<CLANG> Ahhhhh, I see.
Not your Audio Monitors, but your Video Monitors cry

In that case, disregard all of the above.

Does this work? :

Attached picture 2021-09-17_10-27-07.jpg
Attached picture 2021-09-17_10-27-48.jpg
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/16/21 09:43 PM
Nope. I tried that and it constantly loads the generic drivers. That being said, nothing is wrong. I just wanted to see if I could get the HP driver to work.

Being a music forum the word monitor is ambiguous so I understand the confusion.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Monitor driver question - 09/17/21 12:53 PM
Being a music forum the word monitor is ambiguous so I understand the confusion.

I suppose what threw me was the plural use of the word 'monitors'. Stereo, Left and Right, was an automatic assumption. Sorry I couldn't help.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/17/21 01:18 PM
Oh yeah. My computer workstation has three 27" DISPLAYS, all the same HP model, fed by an NVidia 710 video card with 4 HDMI ports. Sports days are great! I have 3 games on at once.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Monitor driver question - 09/17/21 01:19 PM
So I'm thinking that you install the new driver. Then go in and use the UNINSTALL DEVICE in the device manager. The computer would have to use the one that was available.

But.... I'm not an IT kind of guy so what do I know.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/17/21 01:22 PM
What I run into there Herb is that Windows chooses their generic driver first, and there is no way to delete the default pnp driver from the Windows driver pool. I set my limit at 2 hours of reading and researching this matter because it really doesn't matter. And even then it was closer to 3. Thanks for the input though.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Monitor driver question - 09/17/21 01:39 PM
And since there was confusion about it being visual monitors or audio monitors, that opens up the door for this aside comment about audio.

My "speakers" here in the computer room are KRK Rokit 5 monitors. They sound great and all, but there was a time when they would just quit working. I'd sit down to use the computer and had no sound. I bought a new interface, leaping to the conclusion that the interface was the issue. At first that seemed to fix it. Soon it happened again. Again, researching Windows sound issues, Focusrite interface issues, M-Audio interface issues (the new one was an M-Audio). Pulling hair out.

Then I realized that I never looked at it from the side of the speakers. KRK monitors have a shut off after 20 minutes of input of less than 95db.I found a little utility that sends a 96db signal to them and wakes them up. Yes, I COULD just crank the volume on the interface so it gets more than 95db of input, but no no no. That is not the way of the persistent gear-buying music and techie nerd! That new interface was an M-Audio M-Track 2x2M. It was nice, worked well, and was pretty on the desk, but because I have a Focusrite 2i4 upstairs in the main music room I wanted the same one down here where I scratchpad stuff. So I now have that 2x2M and a Fast Trak Pro sitting here unused. If I ever find myself needing an interface for live play where I need virtual instruments I have those interfaces at the ready. Pipeline hooked me up with a script that allows me to load different instruments onto individual tracks and use arrow keys to scroll up and down to select the track with the virtual instrument I'd need. That situation hasn't come up yet, but I know that base is covered if it ever does. I think it would be cool as anything to play with just a controller and a laptop. Come out of the interface into my wireless IEM. also fed by the stage monitor system, and have almost no gear on stage. No amp, no wedge... Just a double keyboard stand with the controller on the bottom and a shelf with the laptop, my mixer to send sound to the FOH, and my IEM system on it.
© PG Music Forums