PG Music Home
Posted By: KeithS Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 01:49 PM
I have been trying like crazy to fully document my new PC build to share with everyone including videos but I have just flat run out of time and not sure when I’m going to be able to get back to it. I do know I’m going to go dark for at least a few days, more likely longer.

I’ve been going to my Dentist for months now complaining about pain in my jaw. Despite pointing out to him that I had enlarged lymph nodes in my neck, he insisted that my problem was grinding my teeth at night. I took the problem to my periodontist after I had a truly massive bleed while flossing my teeth. He said he couldn’t see anything clinically and I insisted he could probably replicate the bleed I got at home by touching his probe to the gums at the point I had flossed. This lead to a 3 D X-ray that showed a quail-egg size hole in my jaw bone that wasn’t there last year. After an attempt to probe the area under the gum resulted in a piece of bone breaking off, I was referred to an oral surgeon, then for a CT scan, and eventually was diagnosed with Osteomyelitis, a disease that caused my father to lose his right leg.

I basically had a few days to make up my mind what to do because allowing it to progress is a death sentence. To complicate matters, none of the oral surgeons in Mobile accept Medicare, so I either have to pay out of pocket in advance or go to UAB medical center in Birmingham, a 5 hour drive. We have decided to stay in Mobile.

So tomorrow I’m going to have a large piece of my left mandible cut away along with at least three teeth and start a six week regimen of IV antibiotics that will be delivered via a Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter that was inserted yesterday. One of the antibiotics will be administered 3 time a day and takes 45 minutes per dose and is gravity fed so I can walk around with it. The other is administered twice a day, takes 2 hours per dose, and has to be pumped, reducing my mobility. So administering IV antibiotics is going to be my Day Job for awhile.

Interestingly, I’m more concerned about losing my ability to sing, than my ability to talk or even survive this. Just goes to show what parts of our lives create our identity.

Not looking for sympathy or pity. What happens will happen. I just wanted to share this with my friends.

And here is that beautiful computer I built.

[img:center]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=61734EB4[/img]
Posted By: sslechta Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 02:02 PM
Hi Keith, sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you can pull through OK. Sounds pretty serious. Good luck with your procedures!

The rig looks awesome, nice job!
Good luck Keith from your forum friends down-under.

Separately, that new system looks incredibly impressive !
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 03:35 PM
Bright out the inner tough Slovenian and show that procedure who's boss!!! You'll rock right through this!
Posted By: KeithS Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Bright out the inner tough Slovenian

My grandfather used to tell me, "Keith, your name might be Smith, but you have Ulle blood. That makes you tough."
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 05:10 PM
And he was right. You kick this thing in the azz and I'll see you the next time you get up this way! I'd say "I'll buy lunch" but after all, we ARE Slovenian...

Did you know that copper wire was invented when 2 Slovenians were fighting over the last penny?

True story that I just made up!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 05:13 PM
Good luck on your upcoming procedures.

That computer looks awesome!
Sorry to hear your illness. Wishing you the best during your recovery.

Charlie
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/19/21 06:38 PM
Praying that you have the best possible outcome for your recovery.

I'm glad that you were diligent in insisting that your doctors look further.

all my best,
-rob
Hi Keith,

Really sorry to hear about the issue. Just finished up with cancer surgery in my throat. I could not talk for a few days but three weeks later I tried to sing and It was bad as I normally sing...lol good news

There will be a few rough days for you but you can get through it.

Don't push it and take your time. Take the pain meds and rest.

I will send all the good thoughts your way.

Pm me if you want to talk. I am pretty up on this sort of thing.

Billy
I had some funky tissue removed from my throat as well, Billy.

Keith, best of success with your recovery.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/20/21 12:28 AM
Keith, I'm praying for your complete recovery. Thank God they found out what it was sooner than later.

Josie
Keith, hope you make a good recovery as I know you will, and good luck from Ireland.
Posted By: jford Re: Running out of time to get things done - 10/20/21 10:06 AM
Praying for healing from across the state border in P'cola.
Keith, that looks like a beast of a computer you got there, take it its water cooling you have in it.

Certainly looks different and good build
© PG Music Forums