PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/23/21 03:29 PM
Just got the LAST piece of rack gear for the studio redo. The "sound making stuff" rack on the right is overflowing by 1 space, and the drumming and effects rack on the left is full. No más compras!!

Finishing the wall repair and painting this weekend, carpet going in Monday.

Then about 4 days of wiring. LOL!!

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/23/21 10:50 PM
No more buying, eh?

Let's wait and see... wink
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 05:43 AM
No more buying! You cannot be a real musician LOL
Posted By: dcuny Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 06:04 AM
I see (among other things) a TX81Z, a ProteusFX and a Korg M3R.

The 1980s version of me is green with envy. sick
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I see (among other things) a TX81Z, a ProteusFX and a Korg M3R.

All Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace finds. The Nord Rack 2 was a Reverb find. The Proteus was donated by a great guy from this very own forums.

The mixer I had to buy from Sweetwater at retail. LOL!!

1980s you ever have any of those oldie but goodie modules?
Posted By: sslechta Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 11:41 AM
Time for another rack and another power feed from the electric company....
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 12:30 PM
I like my TX81z, it has some sounds that FM synthesis does better than the current breed of synths.

I have a Roland MT32 that also has a few stellar patches.

New modules have a lot of great sounds, but when I need a sound from one of the oldies, it's nice to have it.

That to me is an advantage of buying hardware synths. The TX and MT that I bought when Windows 3.1 or 95 was the OS of the day still work.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 12:40 PM
Notes in a rack from decades past I had that Roland MT32 right next to the Yamaha FB-01. Bought a shelf for the rack and they fit beautifully side by side. Put in a little block is wood 3/4" x 3/4" behind them so they couldn't slide backwards and they sat in that rack for 3 years.

So now I have to go out and find one of each for the 3rd rack. After I get the new power feed....
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 02:46 PM
Howdy....

So....I'm not the only old fossil that hass the Protues FX.
I've had it for over 20 years.

I think it it's a very good module....(4) banks of patches works for me.
My other old modules: Roland MBD-1 Drums/Bass - Roland MVS-1 - Roland XV-5080 - Art SGX Nitro pre-amp with (4) banks of patches. (more than I'll ever use)

Back to it....have a great day...
Posted By: dcuny Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 11/24/21 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

1980s you ever have any of those oldie but goodie modules?

I wish! wink

At one point, I had a Proteus 1 and a K1. The K1 would occasionally send spurious MIDI to the M1 and cause it to go bonkers, so I (with much sadness) had to get rid of the Proteus.

I eventually got the SoundFont version of all the Proteus modules. Amazing how much sound they could get out of really tiny samples!

Now I've got the M1 in VST form to remind me of some of those sweet 80's sounds (and only $50 with the Black Friday sale).
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/04/21 04:03 PM
It's getting there!! Painting done, carpet down, stuff slowly being placed into the room to see how best to fit 5 pounds of stuff into as 4 pound bag. Didn't dawn on me that I need that tempered glass floor mat to roll the chair on with this new carpet that actually has some pile to it. The 45 year old stuff was so smooth it was like laminate...

Wiring awaits. And I am NOT looking forward to that!

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/04/21 06:05 PM
Starting to look very smart, Eddie. Real nice.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/04/21 06:25 PM
The black wall will hold 7 guitars, and 3 will be on the floor in stands in front of them.

I can't believe how disgusting the old carpet and pad were. I wore nitrile gloves and a respirator when I tore it out. But, the house was built in 1965, and the owner put in those upstairs bedrooms and bathroom in about 1975 when she started breeding, so that stuff was about 46 years old. Cat urine all over the padding, layers of dust... But it's all gone and that's behind me. Soon be back to writing mediocre songs.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/04/21 07:43 PM
" But it's all gone and that's behind me. Soon be back to writing mediocre songs*
With Band in a box 2022 and up to 16 chords per bar!

Studio looking good Eddie.

smile
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/08/21 05:47 PM
I wanted to have this painting hanging in my studio. I called the Museum of Modern Art in New York and they wouldn't give up the original!! Can you imagine?? I told them... "Hey! This is ME!" Then the call must have gotten disconnected. So, I guess I am stuck with a copy.

Picasso's 3 Musicians.

I am calling it a Picasso Printcasso.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/08/21 06:20 PM
And I thought I was the only crazy one here...lol I am only going to stop buying stuff when I die! And I am sure even after I am gone the spending will not stop...lol

Think singing robots who can also play...lol

Billy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/08/21 06:49 PM
"OK now, no more buying", do you know how many times my wife has heard that?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/08/21 10:28 PM
I used to hear that a lot too. I finally figured out it was easier to change wives than stop buying.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/09/21 12:04 AM
I used to hear that a lot too. I finally figured out it was easier to change wives than stop buying.

Not here, kept the same wife and kept on buying. In fact my wife and kids bought the last 4 guitars, one fretless bass, and one 6 string banjo. She never tried to stop me from buying guitars, playing gigs, and/or teaching. She was a keeper from the git-go.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/09/21 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Not here, kept the same wife and kept on buying. In fact my wife and kids bought the last 4 guitars, one fretless bass, and one 6 string banjo.

I pretty much wanted to have kids to do landscaping and shovel the snow.

Quote:
She never tried to stop me from buying guitars, playing gigs, and/or teaching. She was a keeper from the git-go.

Hmm... What's that like? I had a long series of trolls and troglodytes...
Posted By: MarioD Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 12/09/21 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Not here, kept the same wife and kept on buying. In fact my wife and kids bought the last 4 guitars, one fretless bass, and one 6 string banjo.

I pretty much wanted to have kids to do landscaping and shovel the snow.

Yep, they do that and more.

Quote:
She never tried to stop me from buying guitars, playing gigs, and/or teaching. She was a keeper from the git-go.

Hmm... What's that like? I had a long series of trolls and troglodytes... [/quote]

Heaven
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 04/23/22 12:55 PM
Recently re-thought the rack idea and decided to change from the 2 short side by side racks to a server rack. Since I don't really touch these much this is more space efficient. It's 95% done. Finishing it today.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 04/23/22 08:33 PM
Wow Eddie, it's starting to look like something from NASA grin

Good idea for the single rack as a space saver.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 04/23/22 10:08 PM
Thanks Trev. Now engineering in my mind how to make the base more stable. That's a lot of weight wanting to pull it backwards. I think I am going to cut 3/4" plywood the width of the base and 24" back and screw it to the wood. I may also make angled braces from the bottom to maybe 24 inches up along the back uprights. The screws holding the base together are as tight as a power screwdriver and ratchet can get them and it still wants to waver a bit. I'll figure it out. Just finished adding the last piece and completing the wiring and everything works.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 04/23/22 11:44 PM
Eddie, can you add braces to triangulate the sides? That would make it very rigid.

Attached picture 2022-04-24_12-43-38.jpg
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Okay NOW - no more buying - 04/24/22 10:39 AM
That's not a bad thought to put those braces from floor to top. I was going to go up 2 or 3 feet but as long as I am bracing I may as well make sure. Aluminum won't cost much and I have a guy to make perfect bends.
© PG Music Forums