PG Music Home
Here's the link to my recording just made. Critiques most welcome.

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=130797

Those interested in my procedure might like to check out my post in Tips 'n Tricks -

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=0#Post244551

Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area.

George
Well done, George!
Hey Mate. That's tight. Nice job on the keys. Nice mood too.
Gorgeous George. I know you didn't let melodists, or solists anywhere near that. Ha ha. What piano module or sample is that? Sounds perfectly real and your use of reverb is also just right . . . stunning.

Everything from chord voicings to execution and engineering is first-rate, CD ready, professional. Is that your own arrangement?
Thanks, Jeff:

Oddly enough, I have recently returned to using the rather "low-end" and much maligned synthesized Steinway that ships with Garageband/Logic. It somehow has a richness that the other highly praised sampled pianos just don't have.
Didn't even EQ the darn thing!

Yes. the arrangement is completely mine. I have been playing and teaching this piece in all keys for the last several months and have accumulated many rhythmic, harmonic, and melodic ideas. Because of my background, I tend to improvise like a composer and arranger as well as a teacher. I guess you might say there is a certain clarity to what I do. Thanks for asking.

George
George,

For some odd reason the link to the song causes my browsers (IE7 and Safari) to stall and shut down. I'll be checking again another day...
Very nice, George. I also followed the link and heard the Saints. That one is awesome. Nothing wrong with Summertime but the Saints is really something for me at least.
Were both of these tunes done using the Garageband synth or did you use different synths for different parts and what are you using for a keyboard controller?

Bob
Played like a pro! Very tasty stuff, thanks for sharing.
Hi George,

The GPT Trio is brilliant! If this was on a CD, no-one would know it wasn't a whole group. You're playing and use of BIAB is spectacular. Where do I sign up for your fan club?

Regards,
Noel
Quote:

Hi George,

The GPT Trio is brilliant! If this was on a CD, no-one would know it wasn't a whole group. You're playing and use of BIAB is spectacular. Where do I sign up for your fan club?

Regards,
Noel

Ditto! That was wayyyy to coooool!
Yes, I have come to really enjoy the sound of the lowly Garageband Steinway synth (included also in LogicExpress which I use to record and edit my music). My controller is the very fine Roland KR-7 Digital Intelligent Piano which I acquired gratis through a publisher.

George
I really enjoyed that. Great listening.
Very good, George. A professional sound all the way. There's really no way to listen to that and think 'oh, that's a synthesizer and an accompaniment program playing in there.'

I only wish, in perfect 20/20 hindsight, that I had studied a lot more when I was younger. Then I might sound like you. Truly a professional piece of music.

Gary
Really good work. In terms of constructive criticism...it sounded as though you were playing the tune "as written" on sheet music. What I mean is I think you could benefit by phrasing your playing "off the chart." Just listen to Sinatra...or better yet play along with one of his records and play the melody notes when he sings them. It ain't easy to do because his phrasing is all over the place...delightfully so.

NOTE: I am not a pianist...but I am a producer and therefore, a "listenist". (-:

best,
Jim
One of the best I've heard. Makes me have hope I can do something someday with this program, thanks. Wyndham
Jim-

I'll see what I can do to loosen up my playing as I continue to record more and more jazz. As I mentioned to another listener, I tend to improvise like a composer and arranger (where I spend most of my time) thus the "written-out" feel of some of my improvs. Thanks for bringing this matter closer to my attention.

George
George, I just listened to a whole bunch of your recordings on iComposition and truely enjoyed them... In fact I downloaded most of the jazz ones and put them in a playlist... You sound really really great, and I know why... after reading your entire BIO I can see you are a true PRO and very modest too, despite all the degrees and accomplishments ;-) Well done. Thank you.
© PG Music Forums