PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker another ingenious music scam - 12/03/21 10:25 PM
Or.... how a non musician collects royalties on hundreds of songs he didn't write.

If this doesn't make you mad......

There's no upfront money..... Run!

https://youtu.be/zk872ERRVxA
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/04/21 11:15 AM
The gatekeepers have always exploited the artists.

So many one-hit-wonders of the past never made a penny on their hit records. Out of their royalties, the labels took inflated recording, distribution, and promotional costs. They assigned 'ghost writers' to share the writing royalties that never wrote a note or lyric, and the demanded the publishing rights as well.

Gallery owners take over half the price a painting sells for.

The theater makes a mint, while the ballet troupe makes so little they can't hire real musicians but go with a recording.

It's because artists love what they do, and generally don't have a lot of business sense. Business people love what they do and they know as much about business theory as the best musicians know about music theory.

But, I love what I do and wouldn't be as happy as the non-musician business person.

How about you?

Notes ♫
Posted By: etcjoe Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 11:25 AM
Pat Donahue wrote a parody to Would You Like To Swing on a Star, called Would You Like to Play the Guitar. One line about a manager was "because he's good at business and he knows your not". Sums it up.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 01:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vr20gCZdNU
Posted By: 90 dB Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Or.... how a non musician collects royalties on hundreds of songs he didn't write.

If this doesn't make you mad......

There's no upfront money..... Run!

https://youtu.be/zk872ERRVxA

Herb - thanks for posting this incredible story. Warms the cockles of my heart. grin

Regards,

Colonel Bob Parker
PO Box 2
Happy Trails Motor Court
Muckoluski, OK.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 03:06 PM
When is the Starmaker Machine going to be featured again? I missed out on the last offer. frown
Posted By: etcjoe Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 04:04 PM

That's the one.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
When is the Starmaker Machine going to be featured again? I missed out on the last offer. frown

Funny you should mention that, Jim. As a matter of fact I am working on a new scheme...uh...program with a MAJOR MUSIC BUSINESS BUSINESS PUBLISHER in California as we speak! So just stand by.....Starmaker is about to release STARMAKER "PRO", A NEW AND EXITING scam, er.... program for the truly professional writers out there.

We will be announcing the roll-out as soon as the ink dries on the bono fide certificates given to each participant in this EXITING NEW PROGRAM!

Regards,

Col. Bob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/05/21 07:37 PM
Hopefully the bono fide certificate includes a shiny gold seal. Ya' can't prove you're the best if the certificate doesn't have the gold seal.
Posted By: TRYUK Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/06/21 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Hopefully the bono fide certificate includes a shiny gold seal. Ya' can't prove you're the best if the certificate doesn't have the gold seal.

And nice calligraphy.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: another ingenious music scam - 12/06/21 12:48 PM
and gilded edges. If it ain't fancy I don't want it.
© PG Music Forums