PG Music Home
Posted By: jford Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/12/22 06:10 PM
For those who might use Steinberg Dorico as their Notation program, they just released version 4, which has some nice new features, especially with regards to MIDI. The still have licensing, but for Dorico, no more eLicenser Dongle and you can now authorize it on up to three computers (much like with BIAB).

Here's their official launch video:

If you already own Dorico Pro 3.5, the upgrade price is $99.

I understand the Cubase 12 is coming out soon as well, and will also have the new licensing features.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/12/22 06:58 PM
That's a good upgrade price. And I love not having to use the dongle, because I have computers in two locations. Thank you, John.

I have experimented with almost every notation program since 1992. I have been a beta tester of several. I hate them all. But Dorico was not too bad, and I've moved a few scores into Dorico only for final printing, which looks nice. MuseScore, also, isn't bad.
Posted By: jford Re: Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/12/22 07:44 PM
I really like the new auto-split of parts, as well as auto-combine of parts from a score, especially when importing MIDI with disparate tracks from a DAW (for example, you could have a pizzicato violin track, a legato violin track, and a tremolo track, and it will combine them to a single staff with the proper markings for each variation). Likewise, you could have a chord strings track, which can then be broken apart into individual tracks (violin, viola, cello, and bass). They've also enhanced their MIDI piano roll to work nicely and concurrently with either notation or the note markers on the piano roll. And there's more.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/12/22 08:51 PM
Just installed it.

Steinberg is always a hurdle as far as registration, and at a few points it seemed to not respond, but I got there. Looks pretty good so far.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/13/22 11:59 AM
Steinberg is converting all their stuff to no dongle this year and next as they get released in new versions. What will I do with my dongle then? Oh well. Add it to the pile of other stuff I no longer need!!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/13/22 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
What will I do with my dongle then? Oh well. Add it to the pile of other stuff I no longer need!!

They make good door stops...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Dorico 4 Is Released - 01/13/22 04:07 PM
My dongle is way too small for a doorstop. It’s the size of my thumbnail, like one you would find inside a wireless mouse. But I’m glad to be rid of the need for it.
© PG Music Forums