PG Music Home
somehow the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth is missing on my 32bit win 7 machine

any ideas on how to get it back
Posted By: rharv Re: win 7 missing Microsoft GS Wavetable synth - 01/10/10 07:40 PM
Does it show up under Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices?
Right-click your main output and see if "about software MIDI synth" shows up?

I see this all the time on several of the forums I visit, and I havn't seen a solution so far. There could be one, but it might be that the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth just won't run in Win 7.

What were you using it for, and maybe we can come up with a replacement.

Have a great day.

Jim
Interesting. On my Windows 7 32-bit system, the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth does NOT show up under Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Sound. But it DOES show up in BIAB as a choice for MIDI output driver.?

It works in BIAB (I know this because it sounds pretty awful compared to my Roland synth). Did you try using it?
the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth does NOT show up anywhere!!!!!! :-(

i bought piano for dummies to try out with an aki lp25 to use on a laptop when i am away from my home setup where i have my psr-550 ->tascam us-144 audio\midi usb interface

i'm pretty sure it was there when i first installed win 7 but i have installed and uninstalled a number of usb midi interfaces and keyboards since then
If you cant get it to work, it's a blessing in my humble opinion. Nothing has turned away pro musicians from BIAB more than listening to this horrible product. They blame BIAB when in fact it has nothing to do with the sound coming out of it. Myself, I'm happy to see it go away. I'm sure Bill Gates has no pressing need for a better GM set, so I wouldn't count on a replacement/upgrade anytime soon.

If I may, I'd like to suggest you spend $35 for the Cakewalk Music creator 5 software, which includes the TTS-1 softsynth. For most hobbyists and students, the sounds are fine. And of course they are fully GM compatible.

Hope that helps,
Ed
Posted By: rharv Re: win 7 missing Microsoft GS Wavetable synth - 01/10/10 11:29 PM
Did you guys try to find it using the method in my post?

Try it - its the only place I found it in Win7
If it is there, it should be available for use in BiaB and RB

In Control Panel, navigate to your Playback device (thru the sound section)
Right-click the main output device and look for "About software MIDI synth"

Bob, I can't find it using that method, and yet I do have it installed.
Posted By: rharv Re: win 7 missing Microsoft GS Wavetable synth - 01/10/10 11:44 PM
Weird - I get a big ol Roland 'About" popup

maybe its soundcard device driver specific?
I thought it was part of Windows and Windows Update kept an eye on it..
I get the same thing as Bob does. When I play a .mid file, I get what sounds like the Roland GS synth. I know it's not anything good. Since I don't have BIAB installed in this Win 7 install, I can't look to see if it's there or not, but it is installed on my computer.

Gary
Quote:

I get a big ol Roland 'About" popup

+1

but the gs synth does not show up as an option in any of the software i have
Posted By: rharv Re: win 7 missing Microsoft GS Wavetable synth - 01/11/10 07:21 PM
run dxdiag

then save the information to a text file

then search the text file for wavetable

shows the file here that way.. at least you'll know if it is truly missing
merging the edited reg files, from a new install of win 7 to a new dir, to the registry of win 7 install without the gs wave table synth has resulted in the return of the gs wave table synth

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic]
"GMFilePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
64,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,47,00,4d,00,2e,00,44,00,4c,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic\SoftwareSynths]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic\SoftwareSynths\{58C2B4D0-46E7-11D1-89AC-00A0C9054129}]
"Description"="Microsoft Software Synthesizer"

==========================================================================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
good, glad ya found it!
I had the same problem. I'm using win 7 64 bit. sonar 8 producer 64 bit. The Microsoft GS Wavetable synth does not appear anywhere as it used to in XP/VIsta. On both my desktop and laptop running the same thing, I needed to change the audio setting in sonar to Driver Mode MME (32 bit). Then start the wave profiler. when finished, close and restart sonar and the wavetable appears.

It doesn't matter on my desktop but I like to use my laptop with a mini midi keyboard away from home and now it works fine!

Hope this helps someone.. and WIN7 is the best I've yet seen. It's pretty much approaching the MAC!!

Kev
Quote:

...and WIN7 is the best I've yet seen. It's pretty much approaching the MAC!!

Yeah, that's one of its biggest problems. If I'd wanted a Mac, I'da bought one...
The new update to BiaB includes the Coyote WaveTable plugin that allows this driver to show up in Biab/RB
Nice addition.
© PG Music Forums