PG Music Home
Posted By: musiclover I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/24/22 08:30 AM
AH its hard work too,

Attached picture 173037848_10215590887720130_2563268742687736623_n.jpg
Howdy ML....

Ha....she busted him.

Have a great day....
Posted By: MarioD Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/24/22 11:00 AM
Pickles is one of our favorite comics.

My wife made sure I saw that one!
Posted By: CeeBee Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/25/22 05:25 AM
Congratulations on your new guitar laugh
Originally Posted By: CeeBee
Congratulations on your new guitar laugh

Ha Ha. I hope you chose a good one. Go to make the most of things, you know grin
Love this!

I typically see this type of 'behavior' when a new motorbike purchase is in the works, but can appreciate the Guitar purchase behavior too! My old roomie from over a decade ago (also an old PG Music employee - who remembers Josh!?) had more guitars than I did shoes... and he still does!

-Callie
My wife also plays guitar.

The good news is that if I want a new guitar, she encourages it.

The bad news is I have to actually exercise self-control.

Notes ♫
Janice's response to me is, "Bud, just buy the (guitar, computer, mountain bike, new car, etc., etc.).

Hey, as a friend once said to me, "it's just stuff!" smile

Bud
My boss is generally pretty understanding of purchases. Of course, we keep the lines of communication open and don't try to hide anything.

I run everything past her first and she has veto power (which she seldom exercises). She trusts me to make wise decisions and seek out good deals.

I've also gotten her a Rockman and a Korg Monologue of her own. grin
Posted By: rharv Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/25/22 04:54 PM
I always ask the wife first too for new stuff.
But when something breaks, like the headphones/puppy incident recently, I confess I ask for the new toy before mentioning we have to replace/repair an existing one .. improves my odds for success.

Happy wife = happy life and all that.
I also did the daughter's brakes this weekend so it all balances out in the wash. smile
I live alone.

My sister-in-law asked me how many guitars I own.

I responded that they make me happy.

She said "You must be full of joy."

Deb
My addition to this thread is a sad one that stems from a meeting with reality yesterday.

I had to play a part on a song that was nothing more than an 8 bar complimentary line to a lead line. I struggled with that simple part for an hour. My hands and fingers never followed what my brain was telling them to do, and the pain in my hand was extreme to a level that it still hurts me right now, over 24 hours later. And now I have to finally say it out loud.

I just can't do this anymore.

I simply have to admit that old age and arthritis has defeated me. I have decided that I will keep the Telecaster, the Jazzmaster, and the St Vincent because they have personal meaning to me, but the other 7 guitars will go either on Craigslist or to my local music store for consignment sales. The pain in my fingers and wrist was so bad that my eyes were tearing up. I lied to myself for the last few years that I was just out of practice, but the truth is what the truth is. And being of the school that instruments are supposed to be played and not displayed, it's time to move them along into younger hands that still actually play.

It's a bummer, but it is what it is.
Posted By: rharv Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/25/22 07:55 PM
FWIW I gave up on playing Live a few years ago .. pretty much same issue, just can't do it up to my own expectations anymore .. but recording lets me try multiple times (and edit) so I haven't given up the ghost quite yet!
I always preferred recording/writing originals anyway. More satisfaction (and less stress and physical labor). smile
For me the arthritis isn't so bad yet, but early Parkinson's can make it a hit/miss day.
Try again tomorrow.

Weather in our area may have been a factor for you. I know it affects the wife more this time of year, with snow last week, then a sunny 75 degrees Saturday, then cold & rainy last night .. that can be brutal, but may not be a reason to give up, just a reason for more patience to hang onto what you love doing.
I posted this as much for me as for anyone else smile
It sucks getting old (it's not for the faint of heart), but you haven't lost the battle until you give up
This is why I thank a deity in which I don't really believe that there is such a thing as PG Music. I can still write, I can still sweeten with keyboards (which doesn't tax my hands nearly as much as the squeezing required by the guitar), and take advantage of the good folks here who are happy to collaborate with me and add parts. That last song I posted, By The River, was 100% Real Band outside of the guitar solo work by Dave Snyder. On past works, Rog has also supplied guitar work. Without this software and these people I would have nothing. My CD from 2015 was 90% Real Band!
Posted By: rharv Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/25/22 08:26 PM
Yes I agree the tools they give us let us do things we couldn't without them .. but don't give up on your guitars too fast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzvs4ybtMwk&list=PL9FD60D319194C3A2&index=11

"I'm your guitar" ..
It has helped you build your dream smile
without dreams ..

'guitar man' follows, which is what made him what he was
again, without dreams ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84493ZI7uM&list=PL9FD60D319194C3A2&index=12
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I simply have to admit that old age and arthritis has defeated me.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ginger-for-arthritis

Attached picture Never Give Up.jpg
Something else worth a try for arthritis is Glucosamine. I've taken it for some time and think it helps. When I said to friend who is a family doctor that I wasn't sure whether it really did any good as "opinions are divided", she asked, "have you tried stopping taking it to see if you notice any difference?". I said I hadn't, she said she had and was soon taking it again. YMMV.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/26/22 09:01 AM
Here is my regimen for arthritis. I have tried these individually and they helped a little but together they has been a tremendous help. No more painful or deteriorating joints. I can feel it when I miss one or more of these.

1-Glucosamine Chondroitin, 1500/1200 mg
2-Tart Cherry, 3000 mg
3-Hyaluronic Acid 100 mg
4-CBD, 30 mg

Using these I am able to play guitar. Before these I thought that I would have to stop. YMMV
Sadly my doctor has made glucosamine off limits to me. I am going to get a referral to see a doctor at the VA that specializes in this soft of thing. Of the 8 fingers I have (minus thumbs, of course) 3 of my middle knuckles "snap" and lock and I have to manually unlock them.

I don't even know of there is a "arthritis doctor". Rheumatologist sounds right.

I am going to preset Mario's exact regimen and see what the doc says.
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

I read that from top to bottom and saw that people who take insulin shouldn't use ginger. Diabetes really conflicts with a lot, and it sucks.

I read that from top to bottom and saw that people who take insulin shouldn't use ginger. Diabetes really conflicts with a lot, and it sucks.

Of course I had no clue as to any comorbidities you may have. Always consult your Dr.
Also, we are designed to move, movement is a good thing, again, consistent with any comorbidities you have. I am of the school of thought that we need to be our strongest health advocate. The Dr. may be important but he's just one voice.
I remember the time I tried Capsaicin. Supposedly it was going to help me. Well, I neglected to wash my hands after using it, and then rubbed my eye.

Followed quickly by throwing the tube into the garbage. Wow did that burn!
I remember the time I tried Capsaicin. Supposedly it was going to help me. Well, I neglected to wash my hands after using it, and then rubbed my eye.

Washing your hands probably wouldn't have helped, unless it was in milk. I had a nightmare experience myself with that stuff that didn't end 'til I read the fine print explaining you can wash it off with vegetable oil (which did work.)
Glucosamine, Tumeric, and CBD here.

Just as important, if not more so, is adequate sleep and a healthy diet. I try to adhere to something closely akin to the Mediterranean diet. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Refined sugar, corn syrup and bleached flour are terrible and really exacerbate the inflammation.

Also, the best thing to do with arthritic joints is to use them. I always feel much better after I get moving.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 04/26/22 04:33 PM
I am reposting this because I forgot to add Turmeric Curcumin. Thanx Bryon for your post that reminded me of that. CRS strikes again!

Here is my regimen for arthritis. I have tried these individually and they helped a little but together they has been a tremendous help. No more painful or deteriorating joints. I can feel it when I miss one or more of these.

1-Glucosamine Chondroitin, 1500/1200 mg
2-Tart Cherry, 3000 mg
3-Hyaluronic Acid 100 mg
4-CBD, 30 mg
5-Turmeric Curcumin, 2250 mg

Using these I am able to play guitar. Before these I thought that I would have to stop. YMMV
Posted By: Leles Re: I'm doing all the house work these days! - 05/13/22 10:45 AM
Ha Ha! The life situation of every guitar player smile
Back on topic:

I wanted to upgrade my crash cymbals from the budget ones I had.

I was back and forth between Paiste PST7s and 2002s. They both sound very similar, but I had a slight preference for the 2002s although I could throw up some PST7s and be happy. There is a substantial price differential.

Wanting to be sure that I wasn't just going with confirmation bias, I had my wife listen to some sound clips and let her make the decision. I told her about the cost after she listened.

Attached picture IMG_20220528_120726_1.jpg
© PG Music Forums