PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Why I can not play guitar - 05/08/22 03:29 PM

All this is getting really expensive. It is up 40% to 60%. The cost of a tank of fuel has gone from $600 to $1200. I May be back to the guitar sooner than I wanted to be...lol

Billy
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/08/22 03:35 PM
Nice catch, Billy.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/08/22 05:20 PM
Hmm ... your tank of fuel is about 1/3 of my total annual boating costs for most years. But then my boating is sailing on a 92yo old gaff yawl rather than whizzing out for fishing. I'm veggie, so fishing is verboten anyway. What's the fish?
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/08/22 07:21 PM
Warsaw grouper Gordon.

I had a sailboat in years past. It certainly was not cheap also. 42-foot steel pilothouse cutter. I put more than 50,000 miles under the keel. The German navy built most of the boat. Three transatlantic solo crossings and one trip around the horn. The trip around South America was unremarkable which is unusual.

I am seven months out from the Cancer surgery. The boating thing is pretty tuff on me at the moment but getting a little stronger every day.

Billy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/08/22 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

I am seven months out from the Cancer surgery. The boating thing is pretty tuff on me at the moment but getting a little stronger every day.

Billy

FYI - after my cancer surgery I found that Whey Protein really helped me get my energy and strength back.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 10:44 AM
Warsaw grouper Gordon.

Thank you. Quite a fish. Your side of the pond, which won't have helped me trying to recognise it.

I had a sailboat in years past. It certainly was not cheap also. 42-foot steel pilothouse cutter.

Mine is a 26ft wooden boat, so a fraction of the owning/running costs. Cost/displacement/volume all rise loosely as the cube of the length. Quite some distance.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 12:23 PM
Fished 3 days ago.
4 Gaffer Dolphin and a small wahoo.
Good enough for the first trip in almost a year
Then the wind started blowing-hard.
We'll be tied to the dock till the end of the week.

Diesel at the marina is $5.70/gallon.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 03:50 PM
I had a 23' Bangor Punta O'Day sloop.

The two happiest days were the day I bought it and the day I sold it wink

(I know that's an old one).

After a number of years, I basically got tired of it. Or tired of sailing it within a day's reach from here.

It was barely trailerable. Towing it and launching it in different waters was a PITA and I discovered it was better to rent a bare boat.

I had a lot of fun with it when I had it, though. It wasn't a fishing boat. The ideal day was with one hand on the tiller, a cold drink in the other hand, some wind in the sails, and half-naked women sunning themselves on the deck.

Notes ♫
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I had a lot of fun with it when I had it, though. It wasn't a fishing boat. The ideal day was with one hand on the tiller, a cold drink in the other hand, some wind in the sails, and half-naked women sunning themselves on the deck.

Notes ♫

Isn't that half nekkid!
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 04:18 PM

After a number of years, I basically got tired of it. Or tired of sailing it within a day's reach from here.

It was barely trailerable. Towing it and launching it in different waters was a PITA and I discovered it was better to rent a bare boat.

Notes ♫

By the way Notes, not this weekend but the next, Sunday the 22nd I hope to stop by your Sunday gig. Moving to the general area and hope to become a regular!
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: etcjoe

Notes ♫

Isn't that half nekkid!

That depends.

Naked is when you don't have any clothes on.

Nekkid is when you don't have any clothes on ---- but you're up to something....
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/09/22 07:55 PM

Notes ♫

By the way Notes, not this weekend but the next, Sunday the 22nd I hope to stop by your Sunday gig. Moving to the general area and hope to become a regular!

Hey Joe, had all the radiation you can stand?

Rec 90 fuel on the road was $5.00, $5.50 at the marina behind the house, and $5.80 at Capt. Jacks by the Vaca cut the bridge in Marathon. Gas on the street here in Homestead has gone up 20 cents a gal. in the last day or so.

The cost of avgas 100ll in Las Vagas (aircraft fuel) $7.79! That would have cost me $467.40 an hour to fly my old 402 Cessna at 200 miles per hour. Two dollars and 34
cents a mile.

So the most insane thing I have seen lately was a 600-horsepower Mercury outboard that cost $77,000 each and there were four on the boat. $308,000 plus 6% tax!!!! Oh, then you have to buy the boat also...lol

Billy
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/10/22 09:46 AM

Notes ♫

Isn't that half nekkid!

Depends on where you were reared. If the gal is pretty, it don't make no matter with me. wink

Notes ♫
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/10/22 09:48 AM
<...snip...>

Come on up and introduce yourself. It'd be a pleasure to meet a fellow Band-in-a-Box musician in person!

Notes ♫
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/10/22 11:22 AM
Yeah, Billy, I am headed north. New position has me moving closer to Vero. I wanted to get together some more and play, but I have been too busy, and I have been going back and forth up there so much, I just have not had the time. Most weekends I was moving stuff that the movers would like to break. Not that I have anything against movers. It is just a way of life with those professional moves.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/10/22 11:23 AM
I will. I want to see that computer rig in person!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/10/22 11:54 AM
Well, Joe, sorry to see you go but the area you are moving to will be better I think. Plus you get to hang out with Bob.

We actually need a little larger place to live. I was going to sell here and buy another house. Then the market went crazy and we decided to stay put for the moment.

We have also outgrown the house in Marathon. Actually, the house is fine but I only have a 32-foot dock and I want a bigger boat.

The price of houses on the water has gone from normally expensive to outrageous. I had a chance to buy the house next door about four years ago for 400K. The house sold last week for 1.2 million. I could have rented the house enough to pay the mortgage. I left 800K setting on the table!

I never take my own advice about "there not making any new waterfront property" in the Florida Keys...lol

Billy
Posted By: Leles Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/13/22 10:38 AM
Great catch and good hobby! Getting older, I find fishing to be pretty relaxing.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Why I can not play guitar - 05/14/22 09:48 AM
I grew up in Pompano Beach FL. I used to fish a lot when my dad was alive. We enjoyed the time together.

I haven't fished in decades. I guess I found other things I like to do more than catch fish. I'd rather play saxophone than fish, but there is more than one right way to go through life.

My next-door neighbor fishes and shares the fresh fish with us. Lucky us!

Notes ♫
© PG Music Forums