PG Music Home
Posted By: cchallum Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/12/22 06:12 PM
FYI: dear wonderful forum friends, I had a minor stroke on Feb. 28th that blurred 75% of my peripheral vision……the remaining 25% of straight ahead vision is mostly still there but just a little blurred. I’ve been shown by eye therapist how to help restore some of my vision and am working on it……it’ll be slow but is possible!!! Hoping for your prayers and anyone else’s experience along these lines!!!! Thanks for any encouragement you may have!!!!
Cecil Hallum (cchallum)
Posted By: sslechta Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/12/22 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that Cecil. Good luck with your continued recovery!
Posted By: rharv Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/12/22 08:21 PM
Wishing the best cchallum
It can happen
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/12/22 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your health issues Cecil. Thanks for letting us know. Great to know your doctors have a recovery plan. Thoughts and prayers for you.
Posted By: Le Miz Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 12:15 AM
Thanks for letting us know, CC.

I have no specific experience, but I hope what I write is encouraging.

I've been reading your posts from the get-go, nearly 20 years.

You've always been kind and helpful to everyone, almost to a fault.

In my eyes, you've walked the walk.

I believe in the power of prayer and you best believe that I will be praying for you.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 12:32 AM
Cecil, for most of you here who would not know, is a dedicated BIAB tester to whom we all owe thanks. He would often do testing on Thanksgiving despite driving across Texas to visit relatives.

I wish you the best, Cecil.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 09:01 AM
Our prayers are with you Cecil. Praying for strength and recovery.

Jeff
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 09:23 AM
I'm wishing a quick and complete recovery for you.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 09:28 AM
Hope you make a good and speedy recovery Cecil, I'm sure music will help.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 01:38 PM
Praying for you Cecil for good and accurate medical attention thanks fmm
Posted By: earl kirby Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 07:12 PM
one more wishing you the best.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 09:00 PM
Another one wishing you a fast recovery.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: cchallum
FYI: dear wonderful forum friends, I had a minor stroke on Feb. 28th that blurred 75% of my peripheral vision……the remaining 25% of straight ahead vision is mostly still there but just a little blurred. I’ve been shown by eye therapist how to help restore some of my vision and am working on it……it’ll be slow but is possible!!! Hoping for your prayers and anyone else’s experience along these lines!!!! Thanks for any encouragement you may have!!!!
Cecil Hallum (cchallum)

Wising you all the best! I've lost 40% of my overall vision so I understand how scary sudden vision loss is. Take care!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/13/22 11:11 PM
You got 'em Cecil for a speedy and complete recovery.

Josie
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/14/22 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: cchallum
Cecil Hallum (cchallum)

Just now reading this, and I will be Praying for you Cecil.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/14/22 11:22 AM
Praying for a speedy recovery Cecil.
Keep the faith.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/14/22 12:57 PM
Cecil, I hope I can offer a little encouragement. I had a small stroke that affected my eyesight about 18 years ago, but with therapy I regained normal sight in about 8 months. Very discouragingly, I had a second stroke a few years later, and again, it took about 8 months of work to reach a point of normalcy. It sounds like perhaps your stroke has affected your eyesight in a different way than my strokes affected mine but I just wanted to encourage you to keep up your spirits and work hard. Your body has an immense power to heal itself over time. My eventual recovery both times was very sudden rather than a continuous line of progress that I was able to notice. Both times after months of visual impairment I just woke up one morning and my vision was back to normal.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/15/22 05:01 PM
Does anyone have any wisdom to share on how to minimize the occurrence of a stroke? From experience is it diet, stress, blood-pressure management, other?

For those computationally inclined or just interested in the intersection of AI and blood clot characterization research, this crossed my desk today.

"Stroke remains the second-leading cause of death worldwide. Each year in the United States, over 700,000 individuals experience an ischemic stroke caused by a blood clot blocking an artery to the brain. A second stroke (23% of total events are recurrent) worsens the chances of the patient’s survival. However, subsequent strokes may be mitigated if physicians can determine stroke etiology, which influences the therapeutic management following stroke events."

If interested, more can be found here:
https://www.kaggle.com/c/mayo-clinic-strip-ai?utm_medium=email&utm_source=gamma&utm_campaign=comp-mayo-2022
Posted By: rharv Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/15/22 06:38 PM
I can only add that one of my parents has suffered a couple strokes in recent years.
This person has lived the model life style (eats right, blood pressure monitored/managed, no alcohol/tobacco, not overweight etc)

So sometimes it is not anything the person did or caused (in my eyes) .. it just happens.
Sad as it may be, age seems much more a likely factor in my observation, which is hard to avoid since we all want to keep living

Wish we'd hear back from Cecil on any progress/prognosis ..
Posted By: cchallum Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/15/22 09:08 PM
Thanks so very much for each and everyone’s response……y’all are uplifting people and I appreciate having each and everyone of you as my most wonderful BIAB friend!!!! I am so fortunate to have gotten to know each of you over the last many years!!!! THANKS SO VERY MUCH AGAIN FOR CARING AND FOR YOUR KINDNESS!!!
Cecil (cchallum)!!!!!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/18/22 01:24 AM
Hey CC

Health issues are always a bit hard to deal with. My eyesight is beginning to cause me problems along with the negative effects of cancer surgery. Some things have improved, and some have not.

What I have come to understand is that there will be some things I will just have to live with. I think the best relief from the fear and discomfort of the various issues has been the acceptance of what I can and cannot change.

The human body is capable of some pretty amazing things, so recovery is definitely possible. I think it is always valuable to hope for the best and prepare for something less. Losing one's vision is a pretty scarry thought but it is not the end of the world.

Reaching out to let others know what is going on is a really good idea. Many of us will be sending good thoughts your way.

Billy
Posted By: KeithS Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/18/22 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Does anyone have any wisdom to share on how to minimize the occurrence of a stroke? From experience is it diet, stress, blood-pressure management, other?

Hyperglycemia, Hypertension, and High Cholesterol are all risk factors for stroke so management through exercise and diet as well as medication are ways to manage risk. My particular problem has been a struggle to manage my blood sugar over the years. Enjoy my pierogie too much.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/18/22 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: KeithS

Hyperglycemia, Hypertension, and High Cholesterol are all risk factors for stroke so management through exercise and diet as well as medication are ways to manage risk.

Sounds like good advice.
Much like every 5000 miles I have my vehicle's oil changed, my vision is that for those at risk will one day visit their GP get hooked to a machine and in 30 minutes you've been flushed out of all potential clot forming compounds and your blood rejuvenated until your next appoint in 2 years. Then, miniturize the entire appartus and place it in your body cavity for continuous filtering. Then you can eat all the pierogies you want smile

I'm guessing somebody is working on this now.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=in+the+year+2525+lyrics&t=h_&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPC1-wt1gDgM
Posted By: cchallum Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 07/21/22 06:24 PM
Thank each of you tremendously…….you are most wonderful friends and I have the deepest of respect for you all!!!
Cecil
Posted By: cchallum Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 08/02/22 06:00 PM
Thank you all so very much….y’all are so special to me!!
Cecil
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 08/04/22 03:42 PM
Cecil,

I just saw your post and am glad you put it on here. I am a big believer in prayer: ""the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much", and as of now I will be joining your prayer team. Stay strong.

Brad
Posted By: Paj Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 08/04/22 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Cecil,

I just saw your post and am glad you put it on here. I am a big believer in prayer: ""the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much", and as of now I will be joining your prayer team. Stay strong.

Brad

+1. Well said, Brad.

Cchallum---I hope you see your way to a rapid recovery (pun intended).

Paj
8^)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Just need your prayers!!!! - 08/04/22 10:49 PM

I'll be prayin' for ya too, Cecil. Hang in there buddy.

I can tell you have a lot of friends around here.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.
© PG Music Forums