PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Rights administration company ??? - 07/28/22 01:51 PM
Anybody familiar with this company? They want a ton of info including uploading spreadsheets of data. Below is part of the email we received today from Songtradr. Looks too tedious to pursue. We’ve never had such a request for other licenses. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

“Dear Janice,

We wanted to give you an update regarding your revenue-generating songs that have been licensed to TikTok.

TikTok is partnered with a company called MRI, a rights administration platform, and their primary focus is to provide music license administration and royalty reporting services. MRI is dedicated to providing these services for TikTok publishing royalties. We are writing to you as you have received sound recording royalties from TikTok (which have been posted to your account) and that there may be potential for your song(s) to have generated publishing royalties as well that you will need to collect directly from MRI.

Here is what is needed to sign up with MRI:”
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/28/22 11:12 PM
Howdy J&B....

I read it a few times.

If it were me and I'd received this?
Immediately skeptical.
My perception?
They've monitored your success and are merely trying to create a revenue stream from it for themselves which, in the big picture, may not benefit you at all.
Plus, all that info they're requiring....I'd be very wary. (ha...not that you aren't already)

If you're Waiting to get better G2 on them I'd be glad to hear that I'm wrong.
Do keep us informed.

Hope all is well with you and best success for your efforts.

Back to it....

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/29/22 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Howdy J&B....

I read it a few times.

If it were me and I'd received this?
Immediately skeptical.
My perception?
They've monitored your success and are merely trying to create a revenue stream from it for themselves which, in the big picture, may not benefit you at all.
Plus, all that info they're requiring....I'd be very wary. (ha...not that you aren't already)

If you're Waiting to get better G2 on them I'd be glad to hear that I'm wrong.
Do keep us informed.

Hope all is well with you and best success for your efforts.

Back to it....

Thanks for taking your time to read and respond. In our five years with Songtradr this is the first time I've ever heard from them about our account regarding any entity beyond their services. Given the minimalist TikTok payout to start with and the dubious if any value this might add I'm going to pass. I had truncated my post by not showing how I'm supposed to contact the company and upload the data, etc. I suppose the weirdest aspect of all is that a couple of senior citizens like us have any songs on TikToc. But Songtradr requires only a few clicks to make your catalog available to a host of companies and we have had some success with a few of them.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and completely agree.

Bud
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/29/22 10:55 AM
I suspect that this might just be a way for them to 'look after themselves' a little more.
In other words, "We really want to help you... but it'll cost"
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/29/22 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

You may want to read the full info at https://exploration.io/what-is-music-reports-inc/

This is what I came up with, just an excerpt. I am not personally familiar with these people. At first glance this looks like a legitimate company. If they actually add any value I don't know.

"Role of Music Reports in the Music Marketplace
Though it is understandable to assume that music streaming services generate the lion’s share of royalties in the digital age; mechanical, sync, and performance royalties are generated from music uses on platforms outside the definition of the standard DSP (i.e. social media platforms). Music Reports services digital voluntary licenses for such platforms, and then passes the appropriate royalties to the rights holder.

Historically, the Harry Fox Agency has been the leader in handling physical mechanical royalties, which are paid by the record labels. In the age of streaming, the collection and payment of mechanical royalties from on-demand streaming falls on the shoulders of the digital music services, and the avenue in which these royalties go from the music service to the music publisher is primarily under the purview of the Mechanical Licensing Collective (as far as DSPs are concerned). Mechanical collections outside instances on DSPs are by and large administered by the deals that Harry Fox Agency and Music Reports have in place with certain digital platforms. For example, below is a partial list of Music Reports’ clients:

Amazon (music videos)
Apple (Apple Fitness and music videos)
TikTok
Peloton
Equinox Media"

Billy
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/29/22 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Hi guys,

You may want to read the full info at https://exploration.io/what-is-music-reports-inc/

This is what I came up with, just an excerpt. I am not personally familiar with these people. At first glance this looks like a legitimate company. If they actually add any value I don't know.

"Role of Music Reports in the Music Marketplace
Though it is understandable to assume that music streaming services generate the lion’s share of royalties in the digital age; mechanical, sync, and performance royalties are generated from music uses on platforms outside the definition of the standard DSP (i.e. social media platforms). Music Reports services digital voluntary licenses for such platforms, and then passes the appropriate royalties to the rights holder.

Historically, the Harry Fox Agency has been the leader in handling physical mechanical royalties, which are paid by the record labels. In the age of streaming, the collection and payment of mechanical royalties from on-demand streaming falls on the shoulders of the digital music services, and the avenue in which these royalties go from the music service to the music publisher is primarily under the purview of the Mechanical Licensing Collective (as far as DSPs are concerned). Mechanical collections outside instances on DSPs are by and large administered by the deals that Harry Fox Agency and Music Reports have in place with certain digital platforms. For example, below is a partial list of Music Reports’ clients:

Amazon (music videos)
Apple (Apple Fitness and music videos)
TikTok
Peloton
Equinox Media"

Billy

Thanks Billy. Since the notification came directly from Songtradr I haven't doubted the legitimacy of the company ... just the need to establish an account and upload the required data. However, should a TikTok member use one of our available songs and it go viral I might change my mind smile

All of this is weird frankly. I was searching the net the other day for info regarding one of our songs and found a link where TikTok indicated it was one of their "popular songs" but I have nothing at Songradr about it being licensed by them. I'd rather just go outside and play smile than to deal with this. Too much like work!

Bud
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/29/22 10:28 PM
Looks like they are collecting the mechanicals for you.

Apparently, legit.

https://blog.songtrust.com/guide-to-usa-pros

EDIT: it looks like there are a number of companies coming into the business that are looking to improve on what the Old Guard has been doing the same way for decades. Nothing like a little competition to shake it up and improve how things get done. As always.... Cavet Emptor.... do your research on the new folks before you sign anything. But from what little I saw and read, they are there to collect money for you from other sources that the PRO might not handle but is none the less due you.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/30/22 03:31 PM

Ha!

I got the same message.

I researched it too and decided to pass unless my TikTok payouts grow to a million as you say.

I have had some really nice payouts from ST for straight up licensing for ads and such, and was pleasantly surprised, but the TikTok stuff is not worth a second glance.

That's my take.

smile

I will send you an email on this though Bud because I have another question on something else.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/30/22 09:35 PM
When I see Tik-Tok I disappear, soon as possible. Same with Twitter links, for that matter.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rights administration company ??? - 07/31/22 09:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Looks like they are collecting the mechanicals for you.

Apparently, legit.

https://blog.songtrust.com/guide-to-usa-pros

EDIT: it looks like there are a number of companies coming into the business that are looking to improve on what the Old Guard has been doing the same way for decades. Nothing like a little competition to shake it up and improve how things get done. As always.... Cavet Emptor.... do your research on the new folks before you sign anything. But from what little I saw and read, they are there to collect money for you from other sources that the PRO might not handle but is none the less due you.

Thanks Herb. Since the notice originated with Songtradr I felt it was not spam but have had to learn the nature of it. I think your summary nailed it.

Bud
© PG Music Forums