PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 01:35 PM
I was wondering if some of us might tackle this song. I'd like to give it a go, but will admit getting the chords and melody into biab format is a bit outside of my area of 'expertise'. That last word should be double quoted in italics and underlined. Doing that is something that's on my agenda, but I'm having too much fun with my spare time (as long as I sit on an obus forme butt pad and keep my blood sugar right).

Thoughts?

This is going to be covered by a bunch of people, I'd be very interested what forum members might do with the tune using 'our' tools.
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 01:47 PM
You mean a collab project on this great REM-song? I think it is a great idea.
I'd be interested in taking some vocals for sure
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 02:48 PM
is this the song you're talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOiW_xY-kc
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 03:13 PM
Quote:

I was wondering if some of us might tackle this song. ...I'd be very interested what forum members might do with the tune using 'our' tools.

regardless of the tune(s) selected, I think it would be cool to have a recurring theme of many people posting their version of the same song, along with descriptions of the approach used.
It would raise awareness of different techniques.

Is there any way the results could be posted and compared without raising copyright infringement issues? There is the occasional link to well-known cover songs remade in BIAB or RB, so it's not clear to me whether this is a zero-tolerance thing.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 09:20 PM

regardless of the tune(s) selected, I think it would be cool to have a recurring theme of many people posting their version of the same song, along with descriptions of the approach used.

It would raise awareness of different techniques.

Ditto that
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 10:17 PM
There is a signature guitar "picking" riff on this one. That 12/8 E Guitar Picking riff. Our "Dreamy Electric Background" RT will work for the "background rhythm." But, we will need an axe man for the "picking" part, IMO. The song should be fairly easy to layout in Biab. Just need that signature riff for the verses.

Trax
Posted By: DrDan Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/24/10 10:36 PM
Or perhaps: How about something like this for "Contest Rules" -

Song Length - 32 bars - not including intro or ending
Intro - 4 bars max
Ending - 4 bars max
Song must be original (no copyrigthed melodies),
Song must startout in BIAB (provide BIAB file with submission)

Other then that, no restrictions on DAW, mix, effects, RTs, RD, Styles, Tempo, Key.... Add vocals if you got em or any track recording.
We would be looking for the best use of PGMusic tools that results in a finished piece.

I'm sure the PGMusic folks would be glad to put up a Ketron SD2 (or Not)
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/25/10 03:40 AM
John,

Here is a rough vocal demo I recorded to an online backing track. It is a recording of a recording, LOL It is rough, I don't know the song by heart (yet). But, I will if you want me to sing a part. Up to you, no worries.

I take it you are wanting to do an online collaboration with this song?

If so, lets see who else is interested in helping out. I know Mike has also volunteered to sing on it. Lets get a few others to help out with vocals or instruments, if there is an interest?

You are in charge brother. Tell us what you want . . .

Trax
Posted By: gibson Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts *DELETED* - 01/25/10 11:37 AM
Posted By: WienSam Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/26/10 04:32 AM
I'm with you on the idea. John, and would gladly contribute vocals but...

My own flat (which contains my home studio) is currently in a state of total chaos and being re-designed in terms of use of the space within. At present, there is very little I can actually do there and the place horrifies me to even stay there. So, much though I would love to contribute, I think it will be impossible. The Spirit is with you though - all the way.

GO FOR IT!!!
Posted By: jim111 Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/26/10 08:57 PM

Song Length - 32 bars - not including intro or ending
Intro - 4 bars max
Ending - 4 bars max
Song must be original (no copyrigthed melodies),
Song must startout in BIAB (provide BIAB file with submission)

Other then that, no restrictions on DAW, mix, effects, RTs, RD, Styles, Tempo, Key.... Add vocals if you got em or any track recording.
We would be looking for the best use of PGMusic tools that results in a finished piece.

I'm sure the PGMusic folks would be glad to put up a Ketron SD2 (or Not

I really like this idea, as we could use it for lots of things, from comparing sounds of different synths to panning and mixing and whatever, and it also should avoid any copyright confusion. We could add our own melody, as long as we're willing to release it to the group effort.

So---+1 for a group effort on one song, whatever it is.

Later,
Jim
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/27/10 12:45 AM
John,

Here is a Biab file of Everybody Hurts. Check the memo box for which RT's I used for this one. There is NO melody in it. You can load it in RB and add your vocal track, if you want to.

Trax
Posted By: DrDan Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/27/10 01:47 PM
Quote:

John,

Here is a Biab file of Everybody Hurts. Check the memo box for which RT's I used for this one. There is NO melody in it. You can load it in RB and add your vocal track, if you want to.

Trax

I'm impressed, you made it look easy!

Unfortunately, not within my, oh so limited, vocal range . Good luck to others.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Haiti, REM song Everyone Hurts - 01/27/10 01:49 PM
Quote:

Unfortunately, not within my, oh so limited, vocal range .

Dewd! Transpose!! It's one a them things we got BIAB for!!!

R.
© PG Music Forums