PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley Maybe you actually can un-bake the cake. - 10/27/22 01:11 AM
Simple Stems.

After Melodyne Editor, I thought I'd seen everything, but now there are sites and programs that attempt to separate out parts of an audio recording into component instruments or sections. They use the term 'stems' in the sense I learned it. Of course, this technology being new has plenty of limitations, and it doesn't yet sound that great, but it's something...

I occasionally do transcriptions for hire (even did some for PG Music). The ability to pull out the bass line, or the vocal, or just the drums/percussion from an audio recording, may prove very helpful.

Try this site from Stagecraft Software, which appears to be safe: https://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/products/SimpleStems/

You can download and experiment for free for a month. It's a $50 purchase but if you look hard enough, you may find an offer for $25. The same algorithm is being used by many programs and sites but I chose to write about this one because it's a standalone program you can download and install, rather than a website-based service. Simple Stems is also a VST3 plugin for Macs; not yet for Windows (but that's coming).

There's a video that explains it, but you can just drag an audio file into it and off it goes. I had fun. You might, too.
There are an increasing number of these tools, though most(?) of them seem to use the same OpenSource "spleeter" library to do the actual extraction and deconvolution.

The technique probably can never be perfect, but it's pretty impressive as far as it goes.
This is very interesting, but I do have a question. Since it is using the Spleeter algorithm and database, does it have to always be hooked up to the internet to access the Spleeter data?

Jeff
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
This is very interesting, but I do have a question. Since it is using the Spleeter algorithm and database, does it have to always be hooked up to the internet to access the Spleeter data?

Jeff

Hmmmmm. Very interesting question Jeff. Inquiring minds need to know wink

Additionally, I would have liked to see it demonstrated with other music genres.
i would love to see a 'spleeter' feature built into rb and biab.

happiness

om
Your comments are correct, and according to the video that explains it, Spleeter and Deezer are used here too. The difference is, this one is a stand-alone program that runs on your computer without any connection to the Internet. There is only a single DLL file that must be in the same folder as the executable program.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Maybe you actually can un-bake the cake. - 10/30/22 04:31 AM
Originally Posted By: MountainSide

Hi, Jeff.

While Spleeter can be run via Google Collab without having to install it on your machine, it can also be installed on your machine. Once installed locally, there's no need to have internet access to use it.
© PG Music Forums