PG Music Home
+++ Welcome To HDMI 2.1 +++
Interesting article, Jim. This is another example of product evolution, perhaps with the underlying intention to require users to continually upgrade (I can't believe I said that grin ).
Just using a splitter to extract/create analogue audio to run to my older Yamaha amp (extracting from Apple TV to Samsung screen via HDMI) was enough to make me wanna never think about HDMI again smile

Bud
I got about 4 acronyms deep into that article, stopped reading, took 2 aspirin.

Can't people just say what the acronym means?

HDCP and EDID and CEC? Shut up, you arrogant eggheads lording over us mere humans that don't live in that world. Just shut up. (Or if you prefer to play the acronym game, STFU.)

I can't possible know what every acronym in the world means.

YKWIM?
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

HDCP and EDID and CEC? Shut up, you arrogant eggheads lording over us mere humans that don't live in that world. Just shut up. (Or if you prefer to play the acronym game, STFU.)

YKWIM?

I agree about acronyms. Psych 101 was the only course in college where I cheated on the exams. I had no respect for the long-haired blond "professor" who spent the entirety of his lectures focused on the girls filling the first two rows of the lecture hall and rolling a LifeSaver around his mouth with his tongue while speaking. I got to an early question on the first mid-term that asked "which two psych tests were empirically derived?" and then gave us four dual acronym choices to select from. I had ZERO idea which one to choose, so I looked around me, found two peeps working together on the test, and copied their answers. I blew off every lecture after that, and just cheated the tests. Got a B for the final grade.

I was going to give the article's author some slack for linking those three acronyms to another article which I assumed described them. It didn't mention any one of the three.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Three strikes and you're OUT, Mr. Author.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

YKWIM?

I reckon I count as an egghead, though hopefully not arrogant, and you went further through the article than I did before I declared "I don't need to know this". All I needed to know is that for newer, faster, standards I may well need new cables.

I'll not defend the article, I think it was largely just pretentious, but I'll defend acronyms at bit.

In circumstances where they're common and familiar, they save a lot of time and a lot of unnecessary verbiage. Nobody want to keep saying or hearing "Transport Control Protocol/Internet Protocol" when they can say/hear "TCP/IP". And most of us don't need to know what it means, either, just that it is what it is.

In many cases think it's rude to not introduce and/or explains an acronym, especially where that may well be new to the reader or may mean something else to them. Unfortunately acronyms happen everywhere. They're even there in music: Cm7, DS al Fine, MIDI, ppp, and so on.

Where I want to know what thay mean I usually use AcronymFinder, which seems to know most. For the rest I just walk away. Life's too short.
I used to get upset about TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms). I thought they could be a time waster after spending time looking up AND until I found it was a simple three letter word connecting two things. But then after arguing they can easily be misinterpreted I pointed out For Understanding and Clearer Knowledge SAKE best not to use them.
WTF (Why The Face)! We are really of topic.

Back on topic I don't need the new HDMI cables as I only watch old TV shows on cable; you know the old TV shows we used to watch on free analog TV!

DARFC (Ducking And Running For Cover - I just made that one up!)
Originally Posted By: MarioD

It'll catch on, just watch grin

Are you sure? laugh
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Ducks-and-Runs-for-Cover-(DARFC).html
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

Are you sure? laugh
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Ducks-and-Runs-for-Cover-(DARFC).html

Ops, I stand corrected! I didn't fact check myself so the jokes on me.

However I did say ducking and running grin
The only one you need is RTFM.

Oh, please don't think I was correcting you .. just a bit of fun.

It's really hard to know when or by whom they were devised. I think I devised "BCNU"(*) years ago, but I don't know if it was really me or someone else or many people independently.

(*) "be seeing you", as from the UK TV series "The Prisoner".

A friend uses KPtM ... "Keep Playing the Music".

G.
Back when laptops hard card slots that accepted PCMCIA cards, I used to say that it meant "People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms".

For the record I know it means "Personal Computer Memory Card International Association". They were soon referred to as just PC Cards, which in itself was wrong when today's meaning of PC is applied. I mean, a card that doesn't use denigrating terms for people and things???
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

Oh, please don't think I was correcting you .. just a bit of fun.

It's really hard to know when or by whom they were devised. I think I devised "BCNU"(*) years ago, but I don't know if it was really me or someone else or many people independently.

(*) "be seeing you", as from the UK TV series "The Prisoner".

A friend uses KPtM ... "Keep Playing the Music".

G.

No I did not take offense to your reply. That is why I put the smile emoji at the end.

JHF - Just Having Fun!

Peace
OMG!
There used to be a rule in the publishing world that the first time you used an acronym in an article you had to spell it out in parentheses. After that, it was okay to use the acronym alone. My first published journal article came back to me with corrections all through it for not following that rule.
A big ole FWIW.

Acronyms by definition can be pronounced, e.g., NASA, etc. All others are abbreviations. Per my very strict HS English teacher 60 years ago smile but still current.

Cheers and pardon the intrusion.

Bud
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Acronyms by definition can be pronounced

That's true, though those like "wysiwyg" show how and why there is a huge grey area.
Wow, what a bunch of old farts (OF) better known as Boomers. Don't worry I'm one too.

HDMI 2.1 is important if you're using modern stuff. An old analog receiver that still works sure, use the splitter. I did with my 20 year old Onkyo but it started cutting out the right channel so I bought a Yamaha digital receiver last year with it's own internal switching between digital sources and I love the heck out of it. It switches my system between my PC, cable box, Amazon Firestick and DVD player. That receiver and my new TV requires HDMI 2.1 because the new acronym for the HDMI plug on the back of the TV is eARC. ARC is almost 20 years old and eARC is the latest. Here's the definition of it:

Quote:
The main differences between ARC and eARC lie in bandwidth and speed. The enhanced version of the Audio Return Channel has a much higher bandwidth than its predecessor. Bandwidth represents the range of frequencies or amount of data that is being transferred at a time. Higher bandwidth translates into a higher amount of data that can be transferred (a larger pipe). Higher bandwidth also means that digital audio signal doesn’t have to be compressed and is much more detailed, rich and vibrant

Bandwidth, speed, more data and no audio compression? Hmmm, might be useful...

Yes, some of these tech writers could explain it a bit better but they also have editors who tell them to keep it under so many words and there's no room for that. Plus their audience is much younger than we are, most do understand those things and it's a rite of passage that they not look ignorant to their friends. We were like that too, don't deny it guys. My favorite modern quote from Snoop Dogg, "If you don't like something, it wasn't made for you" or in this case not written for you.

It does seem kind of odd to see all the negativity about acronyms in a musicians forum. How many of those are used in digital audio music production? Musicians are nothing if not techies and video/audio go hand in hand and I know I'm not the only one here who uses a big screen TV as a computer monitor. When I see a new acronym concerning a subject I'm interested in I have no problem with looking it up, it's how I learn.
© PG Music Forums