PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 06:43 PM
I've been using Avast Free for years but something slipped past it.

I reinstalled Avast and ran a deep scan, no joy.

What must I do
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 07:02 PM
Donny,
Is there anyone at your anti-virus company you can call? If so, they may be able to do deeper clean and restoration for you.
https://www.avast.com/en-us/index#pc

Was it a website you went to or did someone send you an infected file?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 07:04 PM
Can you define "no joy" please? It's hard to help without knowing the problem.
Posted By: rharv Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 07:21 PM
What exactly got hacked?
An email address, the system itself, or?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 07:49 PM
Says I'm infected by trojan win32 generic. Searched Google and found that it is more than I can handle with my waning dexterity.
Posted By: ROG Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 07:55 PM
Don,

I use Malwarebytes and I've known it to pick up things which all other anti virus programs have missed.
You can download the free version and it might just sort out the problem - if it doesn't, it hasn't cost you anything but a bit of time.

Hope you're keeping well old friend.
Best,
ROG
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 08:27 PM
Yes, try Malwarebytes first.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/14/22 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, try Malwarebytes first.

Also run ADWCleaner https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner

It is also free and can find things that Malwarebytes may miss.

Here is a link to the free malwarebytes:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download

good luck
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 10:53 AM
Do you have a recent complete backup (image) you can restore?

You might have one before the Trojan arrived.
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 01:52 PM
Avast itself is malware.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 02:03 PM
Everyone has an opinion on this.

I use the built-in Microsoft Defender, which you probably have running, Don.

Then I use Malwarebytes, which is a tool that not only can check for problems on demand but also runs in the background to prevent them.

Then I also have SuperAntiSpyware running, to catch those problems that the other two miss, and remove ad-based tracking cookies every night.

Once in a great while, I run Adware Cleaner, as mentioned by Mario.

It's hard to know what is needed, since each of these add-on products have marketing that tries to convince you the sky will fall without it. Some of them are so intrusive they block desirable files, and/or slow your computer to a crawl. So, I based on all I read and have experienced, I think it's good to have only a couple running at most. But, who really knows?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 04:48 PM
I ran ALL apps suggested and found 20+ threats, I removed them all but the threat persists!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 05:28 PM
Can you post the error messages you are getting?
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I ran ALL apps suggested and found 20+ threats, I removed them all but the threat persists!

Don, I really feel for you man. The fact that you can still communicate here is a positive sign. But be aware that if you backup your user files that the virus could spread to your backup media.

This situation seems over your head. If you have no trusted anti-virus software pro you can contact (previously recommended) then I'd suggest contacting your computer manufacturer. If it's Dell, then call Dell. You may need to have a proper scan and dis-infection cycle run. Then you may need your OS to be re-installed.

Seek professional support is my advice.
Posted By: Paj Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 09:48 PM
I would say that the first step is to contact your AV/Protection software vendor.

What app is reported as harboring the Trojan? That's a crucial piece of info to determine if it's an actual virus or just a piece of legitimate coincidental code that the protection software is recognizing as a virus "signature." This is why the host app needs to be identified and reported: So that you can make a decision about the origin/installation/reputation of the "hosting" app. It actually may not be an actual virus at all. That being said, CAUTION SHOULD ALWAYS PREVAIL, and, if you can't get satisfaction from you AV vendor/provider*, the advice from Bass Thumper seems right to the point.

What app was hosting the reported Trojan?

I can say that some older, legitimate 32-bit VSTs can present a Trojan signature when installed or scanned. Zampler is an example of a current 64-bit VST that gets quarantined and reported to me from time to time, even after going through the safe-reporting and "allow" steps---usually after a major AV program update or, every now and then, after a Windows update.

Paj
8^)

*I use Norton/Symantec for the silly reason that in over three decades not a single actual loss-of-service security breach. Also, if I have a serious concern, I can have a Norton tech remotely address it if necessary.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/15/22 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Paj

*I use Norton/Symantec for the silly reason that in over three decades not a single actual loss-of-service security breach. Also, if I have a serious concern, I can have a Norton tech remotely address it if necessary.

+1 to Paj here.

I'll just add a couple things.
1. I too have never had a security breach. I used to have Norton but for reasons I can't remember I switched to McAfee Total Protection.

2. When Paj says it can be "remotely addressed" what that means is that the tech can remotely log in and control your machine to run all manner of diagnostics and analysis that I wouldn't have a clue about. This is part of what paid protection software gives you.
Posted By: Paj Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/17/22 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Paj

2. When Paj says it can be "remotely addressed" what that means is that the tech can remotely log in and control your machine to run all manner of diagnostics and analysis that I wouldn't have a clue about. This is part of what paid protection software gives you.

I did have to use the remote access feature once; not because of an infection but because Norton de-activated after a Windows7 update and wouldn't re-install/re-establish itself. Norton support asked if they could call me to set up a session and, once the session was set up (phone + computer), they took over. It took the better part of an hour (I think I only had DSL at the time) but the problem was solved without any reoccurrence, they apologized, and then they added 14 free months to my subscription. I guess the apology was genuine.

Don't get me wrong: If my PC protection fails I have no problem at all in throwing the vendor overboard, especially when costs increase and get charged a la carte. It's just that a breach hasn't happened yet.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: Paj Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/19/22 04:03 PM
Don,
Were you able to identify the suspected host of the suspected Trojan?

Paj
8^?
Posted By: nForsterly Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/30/22 07:03 AM
I am using Avast but to be honest, I really don't know if it protects me or not.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: I got hacked - please help - 11/30/22 01:51 PM
How do I do that? It's very persistent.
Posted By: Paj Re: I got hacked - please help - 12/01/22 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
How do I do that? It's very persistent.

Doesn't your AV software report the name and location of the virus' host?

Does it disable and/or quarantine the host code/program?

Does it have a feature or a log file that allows you to pinpoint the host code/program?

Can you send the warning message to the AV provider for confirmation that the offender is indeed malicious code?

Paj
8^?
Posted By: Kajun Jeaux Re: I got hacked - please help - 12/03/22 12:05 PM
Best move I've made was getting PC Matic. I've had it for a couple of years and have never had any problems.

Kajun Jeaux.........
© PG Music Forums