PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 01:30 PM
I have a very large library of midi classical music which I would like to listen to in Auto-Play mode. I am in search of (ISO) a Midi player which can automatically play through each song of the library in either random or sequenced play.

Anyone know of such a product?
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 02:19 PM
VLC (at least on a Mac) will play a folder of MIDI files by constructing a playlist, which you can then shuffle, sort, etc.

Not sure how well it would work with an entire large collection.
Posted By: DrDan Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
VLC (at least on a Mac) will play a folder of MIDI files by constructing a playlist, which you can then shuffle, sort, etc.

Not sure how well it would work with an entire large collection.

Thank you, I will check it out.
Posted By: rharv Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 04:14 PM
I think Windows Media Player would do this also .. but VLC is a nice freebie
What have you tried?
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 04:20 PM
You may need to add a plug-in for MIDI.

I had a quick look on my VLC, but couldn't see it and the Linux version may be a little different in any case.
Posted By: DrDan Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I think Windows Media Player would do this also .. but VLC is a nice freebie
What have you tried?

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER LEGACY IN WIN 11
But it does not appear to handle .mid files??
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 04:59 PM
I don’t know, but you might look into software used for home radio stations. I had one many years ago, and it could be set to play through the songs in a folder
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 05:05 PM
+++ Winamp +++

You might be able to use your smart phones. Most smart phone, Android (version 6 or higher) and IPhone, operating systems include midi playback capability. You may be able to find a media player with shuffle capability at Google's Play Store or the Apple Store.

If you have a battery operated Sandisk, Creative Labs, Microsoft or any other brand you can think of media player from the late 90s to early 2000s they all have midi playback capability and many have a shuffle function.
Posted By: DrDan Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 05:21 PM
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER LEGACY IN WIN 11 in the winner after all!

Does the job. Thanks for all suggestions, but I have this installed and it meets my needs.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 06:17 PM
Just learned something. Thanks, all.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 07:35 PM
Dan, didn't you just post that it doesn't work?

And where is the GM sound table coming from? I tested with VLC and it was beeps and boops rather than real instruments. I loaded the plugin that VLC said to load and it is still beeps and bops.
Posted By: DrDan Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/15/23 08:40 PM
Eddie, it does work, just took me a bit of time to figure it out. I had to go to Google for instructions since it is not intuitive. I actually don't see what Synth it is using so I assume it is just an internal microsoft synth.

Ya, sound is not good in general. However, my "midi library" is thousands of classical .mid files mostly pianos. In fact it may be every piano offering from the past 500 years from every composer. I have to load the files into an "other media" folder (don't see another way). Then I can set that folder to "shuffle" and it plays the entire folder in the order specified.

BTW, this player does not show the midi, it only plays it. I was loading each midi via drag and drop into Muscore4. There is plays and shows the midi with the ability to assign each track to a VST or internal sounds. But no schuffle feature that I could find.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/16/23 11:20 AM
Assuming for the moment that VLC otherwise does what you want, there are instructions +++ here +++ (for Windows) on how to enable it and how to set the soundfont, which should allow a better sound quality.

On Linux I had to download a fluidsynth plug-in to do that. I suspect the Windows version may already have it built-in as I couldn't one and the Windows instructions just show to install a soundfont. FluidSynth has been a de-facto application on Linux for years, so my guess is they don't want to duplicate it.
Posted By: Paj Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/20/23 09:44 AM
@Dan: Did you mean software MIDI Players something like VanBasco (old but system synth selectable), WinLive Player, or Steinberg's VST Live? Or did you mean a hardware MIDI player?

Paj
8^?
Posted By: DrDan Re: ISO Midi Library Auto Player - 01/20/23 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Paj
@Dan: Did you mean software MIDI Players something like VanBasco (old but system synth selectable), WinLive Player, or Steinberg's VST Live? Or did you mean a hardware MIDI player?

Paj
8^?

Not hardware. I was able to use Windows Media Player which could auto shuffle through a folder full of midi.
© PG Music Forums