PG Music Home
Posted By: mrgeeze Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/20/23 06:36 PM
The new Mac (MacBook Pro 14 & 16 and Mac Mini) offerings from AAPL look pretty nice.
My 10 year old MacBook Pro has more than earned its place out in the pasture.
Thinking seriously about one of the new M2 Pro Mac Mini's.

Anybody purchase a new one yet?
Posted By: rharv Re: Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/20/23 08:17 PM
We have, but we did not get the basic Mini.
It has 64GB RAM, and 1 TB drive .. maybe Studio or similar name ..

Compiling a large project used to take minutes and now it takes seconds
The user is ecstatic about it, and amazed at the difference between it and his 2015 iMac, which was no slouch to begin with
Do they even offer 64GB of RAM? I looked at that site recently and saw the Mini only offered with 32GB. And the price they charge for RAM... Oy!
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
And the price they charge for RAM... Oy!

That's an Apple thing, like everything else Apple.
$300 to go from 8gb to 16gb.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/21/23 09:56 AM
Used to be they had a superior product when it came to video, photo and music work. A couple of things have happened. They have priced themselves out of many people's reach. PCs have caught up. Components are cheaper for the PC market and performance is as good or better for half the price. They also have an annoying habit of changing their OS and making many things people have spent plenty of money on obsolete. The only plus I ever saw, was Logic Pro. A great DAW and very reasonably priced.

I know many people have a mac preference and that of course is absolutely fine. I just can't see spending the money. Especially since so much of my hardware does not have compatibility so I couldn't really change if I wanted too without a huge investment.

Sorry got off track of the topic.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/21/23 10:20 AM
It’s rare to start a thread on Mac hardware and not find a bunch of pc people show up and pull the same old tiresome hijack.

Happens quite often.
Carry on if you must
Posted By: rharv Re: Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/21/23 10:32 AM
Eddie, you didn't look very hard (I mentioned Studio, not basic Mini)
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-studio/20-core-cpu-48-core-gpu-32-core-neural-engine-64gb-memory-1tb

Not cheap, but it is extremely fast
I think I will treat myself for once and order this beast,

smile

Attached picture apple.jpg
MG.

i'm very excited by apples M2 processor.
and curious to see if m3//m4//m5//mn etc is the marketing plan. and how they deal with heat n' laws of physics if they ramp up to more and more powerful processors.

but the M1 aint no slouch either.

why not buy a cheap m1 refurb ? till the dust settles a bit ?
ive seen some decent deals on refurbs on the net.
you can save money and most places let you return in 30 days if not happy.

happiness

om
Posted By: DrDan Re: Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/21/23 12:30 PM
That price is crazy. crazy Someone had to say it! grin
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Anybody pull the trigger on a new mac ? - 01/23/23 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
It’s rare to start a thread on Mac hardware and not find a bunch of pc people show up and pull the same old tiresome hijack.

Happens quite often.
Carry on if you must

Sorry! But look at that price! It cannot be worth it. He could build a beast for that much money. But Hey if you have to spend, go for it!! didn't mean to hijack it. It wasn't getting much action, so I added my worthless opinion.
That $8900 computer costs 18% of what I owe on my mortgage. I might spend that on a computer if it was a tool that I made money with, but it would just be the 7th computer in my house with 1 human and 1 canine.
© PG Music Forums