PG Music Home
Posted By: Bosco Adama A new Valentine's Day song - 01/30/23 01:42 PM
Another BIAB inspired composition. Lyrics are in the video. The mix is not quite finished. Please leave constructive criticism.

Glimmer

https://youtu.be/bmPImES3NxQ

https://soundcloud.com/bosco-adama/the-glimmer-vid
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 01/30/23 03:46 PM
Howdy Bosco....(Please leave constructive criticism.)

I gave a listen....even though it's not a genre I could pull off. smile

Very good smooth jazz cut.
Lead vox/harmonies sound good and tightly arranged & performed well.

Personally, if I were asked:
I'd prefer the trap set come in much sooner and not have it drop out at all.
Maybe just brushes and/or light hi-hat & rim shot where you drop out the trap set.
That's not a criticism at all.
I may be talking out of 'smooth jazz' school here anyway.
It stands on it's own just fine as is.

Just my subjectivity rearing it's head which you can totally ignore.

Good luck with your music endeavors.

Carry on....

Posted By: MarioD Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 01/30/23 09:33 PM
What a fantastic song!
Outstanding vocal and harmonies.
Fantastic instrumentation.
Super tight mix.
I wouldn't change a thing as this is absolutely fantastic as it stands right now.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 01/30/23 09:42 PM
Hi Bosco,

What a song and what a production - fabulous!

I would be most interested in learning more about the performers - in particular who is singing the lead vocals and who does the BV's?

Also - did you use all BIAB Real Tracks and which ones?

I Look forward to hearing more like this.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Bosco Adama Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 01/31/23 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Howdy Bosco....(Please leave constructive criticism.)

I'd prefer the trap set come in much sooner and not have it drop out at all.
Maybe just brushes and/or light hi-hat & rim shot where you drop out the trap set.

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
I originally had the drums play from the beginning and not drop out but decided to try some different dynamics, a sort of faux rubato, allowing the slightly off rhythms of the bass, piano and guitar to float a little. I should do a remix for the dancers.
Posted By: Bosco Adama Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 02/03/23 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I wouldn't change a thing as this is absolutely fantastic as it stands right now.

Thanks for listening and commenting
Posted By: rayc Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 02/03/23 06:55 AM
BIAB inspired is a good thing.
I'll be inspired to listen & comment when I've seen a little more of that sort of thing from you too.
Posted By: Bosco Adama Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 02/03/23 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'll be inspired to listen & comment when I've seen a little more of that sort of thing from you too.

A bit snarky, but thanks anyway.
Posted By: Bosco Adama Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 02/13/23 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Bosco,

What a song and what a production - fabulous!

I would be most interested in learning more about the performers - in particular who is singing the lead vocals and who does the BV's?

Also - did you use all BIAB Real Tracks and which ones?

I Look forward to hearing more like this.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thank you, Nigel.
I hired a vocalist via Fiver to sing lead and most harmonies with the exception of a female vocalist friend of mine.
Most of the instruments are Realtracks. I added some guitar, bass, keys and strings.
Posted By: rayc Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 02/14/23 06:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Bosco Adama
Originally Posted By: rayc

A bit snarky, but thanks anyway.

Not really Bosco.
If I were being "snarky", (irritable, fiery, petulant, peevish, snappish, snippy, irascible, grumpy), I would have called you out directly for not offering what you willingly receive. Instead I nudged you toward participation. Many, many people leaves links to songs on the forum and comply fully with the requirements & reommendations set out at the top of the main page.

"In the "Body" of your forum post, please provide the following information (the more info, the better):

(Required) URL to the song. This is the URL to an external site like SoundCloud - the songs are not hosted on our site.
(Required) Song title
Background information about the song
Song Lyrics
Indicate which tracks were recorded by you, and which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.
If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used. Tip: In Band-in-a-Box, the Song Memo contains the names of the RealTracks used, and you can copy/paste from that.
List other programs used in the production (e.g. DAWs like Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Cubase etc.)
Any other additional information about your recording and mixing process - e.g. what effects were used in the production (reverb, auto-tune etc)."

Additionally, many of them, though not me, would be happy if you would "Please leave constructive criticism."
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A new Valentine's Day song - 02/14/23 11:21 AM
Right from the start it sounded like one of my favorite singers, Greg Johnson. You can find him here --highly recommended. Yes, I like the "faux rubato" you mention. It worked well. Ray is right, and his snarkiness is well-placed. It is always much more helpful and fun to see how the BiaB inspiration took form, and it's especially helpful listing the pieces and lyrics. There is a very helpful instruction right at the top of the Showcase.

Anyway, the song. Love that bass, and especially the interplay of harmony in the vocals. When the drums come in, the excitement that precedes it takes on a promised feel, and I like the dynamics you created. Man, excellent choice of vocalists. A fun listen.
© PG Music Forums