PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 01/31/23 03:54 AM
Here's a simple lyric video of the wonderful Al David song:
What About Tomorrow?
Posted By: MarioD Re: What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 01/31/23 05:12 PM
There is a lot to like in this one.
Everything is top shelf and so professional sounding.
Great vocal, lyrics, mix, and video.
I like it! A lot!
A good write (from you both).
A REALLY nice melody. (Interestingly, Leo Sayer and Gilbert Sullivan came to mind).

Mix is really good.

fj
I like it, and it's good to hear that your vocals aren't buried in the mix, I like that.

For my taste the vocals could have used a little less reverb to fit better with the rest of the instruments, but that's my only nit.
HI Folks ...

Di and I have been very ill for over a month - starting to feel a little better.

Ray, in his typical very humble way, didn't mention he authored the lyric and created the video. He treated my original instrumental perfectly with all his excellent additions. He was a real pleasure to work with - a truly respectful gentleman. And a fine musician/composer. Many thanks, Ray, for your wonderful contributions to this project - it wouldn't have attained this level without your effort & creative input.

I should be returnung to the forum in the next couple of days - looking forward to it. Thanks to all who listen and comment.

Wishing everyone a terrific 2023.

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 02/05/23 07:07 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
There is a lot to like in this one.
Everything is top shelf and so professional sounding.
Great vocal, lyrics, mix, and video.

Thanks Mario,
the song had a serious head start with Alan's melody, arrangement & mix.
Posted By: rayc Re: What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 02/05/23 07:09 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I like it! A lot!
A good write (from you both).
A REALLY nice melody. (Interestingly, Leo Sayer and Gilbert Sullivan came to mind).
Mix is really good.
fj

Thanks FJ,
I've long been a fan of Gilbert O'S & also of Leo's 1st album.
Posted By: rayc Re: What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 02/05/23 07:10 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I like it, and it's good to hear that your vocals aren't buried in the mix, I like that.
For my taste the vocals could have used a little less reverb to fit better with the rest of the instruments, but that's my only nit.

Thanks B.D.
Reverb is very handy for rounding off rough edges and my croak has a lot of them - a spoonful of honey & a jar of echo.
Mario. Floyd, & BD ...

Ray & I appreciate those nice comments very much. I'VE always liked Gilbert O'Sullivan since his big hit "Alone Naturally back in the mid 70s. He was a pretty quirky guy, but a heck of a singer. And Leo Sayer was somewhat quirky, too buyt in the opposite was. Both had lotd of talent. I miss that era of music ... both in rock and countryy music.

Mant thanks, gentlemen.

And, of course, a shout out to my partner in crime, Ray. Thanks, mate! Enjoyed it - a lot! Can't wait to do another one!!!

Alan
Oh, you three are such a wonderful group. Ray, I'm happy you noticed the great potential and bought out the best fruit. Alan, this was a terrific write right from the start. All the best to you and DI. The instrumentation and mixing are just perfect. There's so much in there that is good and it is all heard without clutter. That melody is so smooth and the lyrics fill it with the right words. Cool video too, Ray.
Posted By: vicarn Re: What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 02/06/23 12:09 PM
Nice combination all.
I think the vocal is a little lost in reverb but otherwise, a nice one.

Vic
Hi Ray and Alan,

At first, a wonderful cohab between the both of you.
There is a beautiful song born out of that!
Alan, you make very lovely melodies. I'm glad you are getting better now. I hope Di too!

And Ray..., I'm very surprised you also sing lovesongs, at least in the tone of them.
Even a very high note! Not bad at all!!!
But beware not to make your voice too electronically. It is worth to listen to without those fx-es.
Do you remember what you once told me about using fx?

Hans
What a pleasant, lovely, and singable melody.

Your lyrics fit Al's music quite well.

I liked your high note...smooth!
Posted By: rayc Re: What About Tomorrow? - the low key video. - 02/09/23 06:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray and Alan,

At first, a wonderful cohab between the both of you.
There is a beautiful song born out of that!
Alan, you make very lovely melodies. I'm glad you are getting better now. I hope Di too!

And Ray..., I'm very surprised you also sing lovesongs, at least in the tone of them.
Even a very high note! Not bad at all!!!
But beware not to make your voice too electronically. It is worth to listen to without those fx-es.
Do you remember what you once told me about using fx?

Hans

Thanks Hans,
There's not much in the way of treatment on this vocal other than the Spectrum Matcher, (basically EQ & levels plus some fairy dust I suspect). What sounds like FX is actually the double tracked vocal rubbing against the main. I needed the double to give the voice a little more presence.
Oops ... we listened and commented on fb a while back and neglected the forum smile

The video did a great job presenting the same things differently theme.
The color/B&W was an excellent notion.

Interesting and well done collab y'all!

J&B
© PG Music Forums